Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cuan Mhuire 55km, 100km, 155km, Athy.

• 05-07-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

I have no connection with this event at all, but the start is only 10km from my front door, so I'm planning to head along.

http://www.deensidewheelers.com/cuan-mhuire-helping-hand-cycle.html

"This cycling event is taking place on the 9th July 2011 and is catering for all types of cyclist, a fun 10km around Athy to a 55km course to test the novice to intermediate, a 100km for the more adventurous and a 150km course for the hardcore cyclist.

All the courses will start and finish in Cuan Mhuire, Athy. There is ample parking provided and shower facilities will be provided for after the event and a BBQ will be held in the evening."

Anyone else going to be there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Thinking of doing the 100k. Just hope the weather is ok. Respect to the cycling club organisers with a mobile version of their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I think I'll be on the 100km as well. Probably cycle to and from it to make it up to 120 on the day. Not sure I'm fit for 155 just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Signed up for the 155 just now.

Just have to figure out how to get there now :o:rolleyes:

Signed up for the 155 just now.

Just have to figure out how to get there now :o:rolleyes:

Where are you coming from? If you're coming down from Dublin, head for Waterford on the M9, take the exit after Kilcullen (which is signposted for Athy) and head into Athy. Then drive through the town, and take a right hand turn for Stradbally. After about 500 metres, the road veers left over a canal bridge. Turn right before this bridge, then head down that road, with the canal on your left for about 2km. Cuan Mhuire is on your right. I presume it'll be signposted on the day!

Daithi BC wrote: »
    Where are you coming from? If you're coming down from Dublin, head for Waterford on the M9, take the exit after Kilcullen (which is signposted for Athy) and head into Athy. Then drive through the town, and take a right hand turn for Stradbally. After about 500 metres, the road veers left over a canal bridge. Turn right before this bridge, then head down that road, with the canal on your left for about 2km. Cuan Mhuire is on your right. I presume it'll be signposted on the day!

more of a case of trying to rob a car of someone in the family, which I've provisionally been able to do already. :D

I hate not having a car:mad:

• Advertisement

Great day today :)

Lovely weather
    Nice route, extremely tough in places
    Nice food & drink
    Friendly people
    Biker marshals did a great job

Thought they did a really good job. The only major problem seems to be a group that followed the lead car when it took a wrong turn at a closed road and added 18km to their route. Luckily for me I was pretty close to my home, so knew which way to go at that point.

Apart from that, I thought the marshalling was excellent. I didn't have to stop at a single crossroads or turn. Great selection of food before, during and after and a good route, with only one really tough hill. I decided to brave the 155km option despite only having done a longest ride ever of 120km, but got on fine. A good peloton for the first 60km and enough riders after that to get a few groups together. The blessing from the priest at the start must have made all the difference.

Good to meet you, Cookie Monster, and best of luck down under.

Distance: 152.32km
    Rolling time: 5:14:46
    Elevation gain: 1,304m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Great sportive:D. Put it in your planner for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Please,please,please for the love of sweet baby Jebus..........

To the guy with the full HTC Columbia kit and the knee length white socks there today....... Please read " the look " thread

Does anyone have any gradient data for the last 500m of the climb out of Old Leighlin? It's certainly a great view back to Mt Leinster from the top.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any gradient data for the last 500m of the climb out of Old Leighlin? It's certainly a great view back to Mt Leinster from the top.

I had the gradient on the screen, it said 14% at one point but I only glanced at it, too busy struggling to maintain forward motion

I had the gradient on the screen, it said 14% at one point but I only glanced at it, too busy struggling to maintain forward motion

That's what my Garmin 500 said as well, but I'm wondering if it tends to exaggerate gradient like it seems to do on calories. According to it, I burned 5,395 calories in 152km.

That's what my Garmin 500 said as well, but I'm wondering if it tends to exaggerate gradient like it seems to do on calories. According to it, I burned 5,395 calories in 152km.

have a heart monitor on? makes it more accurate...
    it says I burned 4,868 C which is in line with other activities. without the heart monitor it would be 20-30% higher looking at some of my other activities before I got it.
    I also have weight and activity claas etc programmed in which should make it slightly more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

This was my first "big" cycle, or sportif! Signed on to do the 50km which turned out to be 60km, according to OH's garmin thingy, but really enjoyed it. It was so well organised and run, lots of food at the stop in Castlecomer and back in Athy. hope to be back for the 100km next year.

(first time poster, long time lurker):p

Advertisement