Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping: Dublin-Melbourne

Options
  • 05-07-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Well folks I have just left London after 6 years on and off, I'm back in Dublin and am leaving to go to Melbourne this coming Sunday.

Since I can only bring over 20kg's on the plane I'm hoping to pack a box here in my parents house and get it sent over when I find a place to live. I reckon it will be about 15-20kg's in the end and roughly the size of a suitcase ( still have to find a box).

Can anyone recommend a company to use? Such as An Post/DHL/UPS? or are there cheaper smaller ones?

Apologies, I haven't properly googled it but everyone seems quite helpful here so putting the Q out here first

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

You might find it's a lot cheaper,though more hassle,if you break it up into smaller packages.

That advice was from a mate, not sure about companies I'm afraid, do a search of the forum, I'm almost certain it has come up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I used An Post for a couple of boxes, way cheaper than anyone else.
    Rent a Mailboxes etc mailbox and post your boxes to it, go pick them up.
    If you are looking at 15-20kg break it into 2 boxes, it'll save your arms at either end when you go to post them (Ireland) and pick them up (Australia).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Hi, thanks for the reply, What does this mean?

'Rent a Mailboxes etc mailbox and post your boxes to it, go pick them up.'

Does it mean rent a mailbox address in Australia and post to it? I don't understand

Thanks, I'll probably use AnPost anyway, maybe split into two boxes

lima wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply, What does this mean?

'Rent a Mailboxes etc mailbox and post your boxes to it, go pick them up.'

Does it mean rent a mailbox address in Australia and post to it? I don't understand

Yes, Mailboxes Etc is a worldwide company offering mailboxes to rent amongst other services. They have a shop on Queen St, in Melbourne CBD.
    Came in handy so I could post my stuff from Ireland before I left and then pick it up a few days after I arrived. Handy for someone without a definite address before they arrive.

Yes, Mailboxes Etc is a worldwide company offering mailboxes to rent amongst other services. They have a shop on Queen St, in Melbourne CBD.
    Came in handy so I could post my stuff from Ireland before I left and then pick it up a few days after I arrived. Handy for someone without a definite address before they arrive.

Oh great that sounds really handy, was going to wait until I got an address but might just use these guys instead.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Who are you flying with? A friend of mine recently moved to Costa Rica with British Airways and flew Aer Lingus (same reservation) as far as Heathrow. He rang BA to ask to add a second bag, they simply noted this on his reservation and told him he'd have to pay something (they said max £90) in Cork and the baggage allowance would be doubled all the way through to Costa Rica. Got to Cork, checked in second bag (around 35kg in total) and paid Aer Lingus the princely sum of €46 for the whole journey.

Might be worth looking into. Something I never would have thought possible.

number10a wrote: »
    Who are you flying with? A friend of mine recently moved to Costa Rica with British Airways and flew Aer Lingus (same reservation) as far as Heathrow. He rang BA to ask to add a second bag, they simply noted this on his reservation and told him he'd have to pay something (they said max £90) in Cork and the baggage allowance would be doubled all the way through to Costa Rica. Got to Cork, checked in second bag (around 35kg in total) and paid Aer Lingus the princely sum of €46 for the whole journey.

Might be worth looking into. Something I never would have thought possible.

Etihad to BKK and Malaysia Airlines BKK-MEL

Etihad is $25 per Kilo over 23KG and Malaysia Airlines is an 'undetermined sum' (they say depends on route) over 20KG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Etihad to BKK and Malaysia Airlines BKK-MEL

Etihad is $25 per Kilo over 23KG and Malaysia Airlines is an 'undetermined sum' (they say depends on route) over 20KG.

Awww, well feck 'em. :(

Is it all on one ticket though? If it is and your bags will go through all the way to MEL, then that means you have 23kg the whole way through I would imagine. Whoever is checking you in for Etihad at this side is quite unlikely to give a crap about Malaysia Airlines. 3kg is definitely better in your suitcase than in the post.

I went with Etihad, Dublin>Abu Dhabi>Melbourne, was able to bring 30kg no problem.

I'm actually flying DUB-ABU-BKK with Etihad, staying in Thailand for 9 days then flying a separate flight from BKK-MEL so it's two different flights. Plus, I'll get getting some tailored clothes in Thailand so that will add some weight (although I might use that mailbox thing to post them to Melbourne)

Hey Universe, did you have to pay extra for the 30kg's? Maybe it's because of the route I'm traveling but it defo says 23kg's :(

• Advertisement

Hey Universe, did you have to pay extra for the 30kg's? Maybe it's because of the route I'm traveling but it defo says 23kg's :(

No extra, just called up their customer service number a week beforehand and told them I was moving to Australia and needed more than 23kg. They said officially it's 23kg but you are allowed 30kg. 20kg suitcase & 10kg guitar case is what I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Malaysia is something crazy like £60 per kilo. I thought it would just be a flat rate for an extra bag. I flew with them London to Sydney. Used dhl cargo in the airport. 200 for 20
    Kilo's.

No extra, just called up their customer service number a week beforehand and told them I was moving to Australia and needed more than 23kg. They said officially it's 23kg but you are allowed 30kg. 20kg suitcase & 10kg guitar case is what I had.

oh cool so you did pay extra then yeah?

Jealous you brought your guitar over, I'm having to sell mine, might buy one over there :pac:

Advertisement