Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for group of inexperienced riders?

• 05-07-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Myself and 7 mates are heading out for a group spin this Saturday or Sunday morning 9:30am. None of us have any real experience riding in groups. We will be taking it slow and doing a steady 50km spin from DCU around North Dublin route to be decided, thinking Naul direction.

Im a little concerned, we are of mixed fitness and ability but Im pretty sure there wont be any macho behaviour as we are all wary of our lack of bike skills.

I am going to join Dublin Wheelers myself very soon to get experience and training, but this is a social thing to meet up with all the lads for a laugh, we are all aged 25-30.

For starters I will be going through signals and calls for pot holes, cars, slowing down etc. Also I think we will be fairly well spaced for the first couple of spins.

Any advice? Routes? Volunteer guides :)? Skills we should work on? Or just go out and not worry about it too much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

be mindfull of traffic and although you're perfectly entitled to be two wide it's just easier and safer to be single file at times to allow traffic to clear you before they do something stupid that'll put you in danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

This route is very quiet. You won't need to be watching out for cars. You could go out and back as far as Gormanstown. Its easy enough to get lost around these parts though. Also, I don't know why google won't let me go straight from E to F, there is a through road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Let us know what day you are going out as I may be able to join you.

@pete: I dont know what it is about that junction but I always have trouble with it as well either on MMR or Google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Joeyde

Cheers lads for the tips and the route.

@BCMF Ill be finalising the day tonight or tomorrow, really appreciate the offer. Most likely Saturday morning.

found this link, I imagine this is what we will be working towards. Might incorporate bits and pieces over a few weeks, just be getting out there for the first week and try and stay close enough together and work on signals.

Wary that the fitness levels are mixed as well, so we will see how that goes. Could be quite slow for the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Cycle 4-a-breast..........

........kidding :)

The Seamus Ennis Centre in the Naul serves lovely coffee and cake - might be a good stop for a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Jawgap wrote: »
    The Seamus Ennis Centre in the Naul serves lovely coffee and cake - might be a good stop for a break.

+1
    It's a good idea on a spin like that to have a break for tea and scones, and the Seamus Ennis Centre is a a good choice. They're well used to groups of cyclists.

We are all set for a spin now, meeting at DCU, Ballymun entrance at 9:20 to go through the plan and signals, leaving at 9:30am.

I haven't finalised the route yet but I will post it up as soon as its done. Probably going to use the suggested road and loop back to DCU. I took a spin up the Swords road yesterday with the OH and that seems like a good route to take up. Might come back around by St. Margaret's.

@BCMF The first outing is bound to be a bit scrappy so understand if you don't fancy it!

I dont mind TBH.Any excuse to get out on an early spin. I live up in Deep North County so will get a nice spin in.I can show you some nice routes that can end up in Skerries and back again to DCU.
    Sat or Sun?

ha sorry, forgot the day..Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

bcmf wrote: »
    I dont mind TBH.Any excuse to get out on an early spin. I live up in Deep North County so will get a nice spin in.I can show you some nice routes that can end up in Skerries and back again to DCU.
    Sat or Sun?

What part of Deep North County are you coming from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ironpool24

Well the first thing you have to do is ask permission from your lovely other halfs to see if you can go in the first place! Secondly, check your cells tomorrow to see if your free from lab work on Saturday! Lastly, you have to stop cycling through red lights!! We all see you on your Felt bike!!

Good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Sat or Sun?

Lads ill join you too if that's ok? Bcmf I can spin down with you from Lusk to dcu if you like?

ironpool24 wrote: »
    Well the first thing you have to do is ask permission from your lovely other halfs to see if you can go in the first place! Secondly, check your cells tomorrow to see if your free from lab work on Saturday! Lastly, you have to stop cycling through red lights!! We all see you on your Felt bike!!

Good luck!!

OK you outed me...But I don't run those lights anymore, Im a well behaved cyclist now :)

You seem to have a lot of info on me... so you probably know me well enough for me to say bugger off, unless your coming on Saturday :)

More the merrier for Saturday lads, but like I said, a bunch of green beginners patience will be needed! Im not sure what the lads are able for so keeping it to 50km or so. But sure we can always turn around on the way up.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    What part of Deep North County are you coming from?
    Balrothery
    Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Lads ill join you too if that's ok? Bcmf I can spin down with you from Lusk to dcu if you like?

Sound with me.

Jesus feeling fierce pressure to get outta bed on Sat morn now

Balrothery

Sound with me.

Jesus feeling fierce pressure to get outta bed on Sat morn now

Cool. Say 8:30 at the round tower filling station at the back of Lusk on the r132? That should give enough time to get down to dcu for 9:30. Cdaly feel free to join.

I'll be in my swords gear. The cancelled race tonight means I don't have to struggle to wash it in time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Joeyde, DCU, cells, cycling.... all sounds very familiar

haha was wondering if that was you Hamo, saw some of your posts. Fancy coming along for the spin?

Cant man, headin down to mingle with the country folk for the weekend. Keep me posted if your headin out again tho il tag along

Sound, Ill keep you posted. Hoping to get out regular enough.

..have to admit the fly fishing posts threw me off the scent :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

dcu joey? cant believe it, count me in!

• Advertisement

Joeyde wrote: »
    Sound, Ill keep you posted. Hoping to get out regular enough.

..have to admit the fly fishing posts threw me off the scent :P

im a dark horse, have my hand in many different pies!

Cool. Say 8:30 at the round tower filling station at the back of Lusk on the r132? That should give enough time to get down to dcu for 9:30. Cdaly feel free to join.

I'll be in my swords gear. The cancelled race tonight means I don't have to struggle to wash it in time!

Sounds good to me. I will be ,more then likely, in the Belgian Tricolour kit.

I'll plan to join ye at Blake's Cross for about 8.40 so. Boards gear, grey Giant with red bartape...

Sorry lads, I've just remembered that I'm golfing at 10 that day so will have to bow out. Apologies for getting your collective hopes up!

Pfft! Golfing trumps cycling? We'll be around to collect your bike...

Sorry lads, I've just remembered that I'm golfing at 10 that day so will have to bow out. Apologies for getting your collective hopes up!

Shameful behaviour. As you are in Lusk please leave your bike outside the Top Shop so someone who is way more worthy then you can put the bike to a proper use.

someone who is way more worthy then you.

I am worthy I swear! :eek: I came second in the club championship (B race) in a photo finish on the line! Seriously though, the golf has been suffering this year because of the cycling so I need to get out and hit a few balls around and justify my society handicap of 30 (dont ask!!!)

please leave your bike outside the Top Shop

Certainly. I'll even put a few quid behind the bar for one of their smashing pints of the black stuff to the more deserving rider!

I am worthy I swear! :eek: I came second in the club championship (B race) in a photo finish on the line! Seriously though, the golf has been suffering this year because of the cycling so I need to get out and hit a few balls around and justify my society handicap of 30 (dont ask!!!)

All your hard work in being the second fastest in Club champo has been undone by your last few posts. Stop digging.

• Advertisement

Ouch!

HUH!

haha was wondering if that was you Hamo, saw some of your posts. Fancy coming along for the spin?

Might Join you afterall Joey. Roadtrip is cancelled so depending on weather or not I head out for a few pints tonight or not il meet up.

thehamo wrote: »
    Might Join you afterall Joey. Roadtrip is cancelled so depending on weather or not I head out for a few pints tonight or not il meet up.

yeah do it Hamo, Ill drop down to the Tolka, see you leave at a decent hour :P

Just to give an update on this mornings events.

First off cannot thank BCMF and CDaly enough, especially when they saw the motley crew that arrived at DCU gates this morning at 9:30am and didnt bolt. Never a bunch of freds did you ever see, pairs of baggy shorts, one hooded T-shirt and even a backpack among the 6 green, anxious, bare ankled hopefuls that arrived. It was a shaky start as there was already a tumble between myself and adamski before we even made it to DCU where I "supposedly" cut across him and he took an elegant barrel roll to the ground (no damage done to the bikes). Tyres were inflated to correct pressure (couple were down at 40psi...) and we took off under the wing of the two lads after some quick tips on formation and hand signals etc etc. Up through swords, some roundabout instructions, lost some lads on the drag to Naul but regrouped before the approach, some of us even eventually took a turn at the front to give the lads a break (eventually).

Encountered some cyclists and even a tandem bike who got a wave, and one impatient motorist who didnt.

Our introductory training was tested when a rabbit blocked the path and no one knew what to do until there was a shout of "mammal" and a point. Quick stop in Naul and headed home with the lads leaving us at Swords where we made a slightly less organised beeline back to DCU.

We put distance around 65km, a little longer than planned but a smashing day for it.

Thanks again lads, was great to have the company, the local knowledge and the advice that came with it.

biggest lesson was keep your hands by the brakes when riding near joey.
    was a tough ride, for me especially. can only get better.

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »
    biggest lesson was keep your hands by the brakes when riding near joey.
    was a tough ride, for me especially. can only get better.

I was helping you get your first fall out of the way.. now your fear is gone!

Was enjoyable spin. Despite waking up late and drinking my coffee on the bike as I headed to meet Cdaly. The sun shone,the rain stayed away and some new cyclists have been bitten by the bug (hopefully).
    With regards to the motorists the anti cycling brigade seemed to be out in force. Myself and Cdaly had a bit of a run in with a most unpleasant character at the airport roundabout.
    91km door to door for me.

With regards to the motorists the anti cycling brigade seemed to be out in force. Myself and Cdaly had a bit of a run in with a most unpleasant character at the airport roundabout.
    this definatly has soured the cycling experience for me, i had known there are a lot of bad motorist out there that do a lot of stupid things, but today i saw what looked like unprovoked hate toward us by some jerk. by the sounds of it then there seems to be quite a few out there, hadnt realised that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...a rabbit blocked the path and no one knew what to do...

How big was this rabbit?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    How big was this rabbit?

You had to be there man!

• Advertisement

Sorry didn't make it out. My couple of pints on Friday night turned into a lock in til half 2. Not great preparation for a 65km cycle!

Advertisement