Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter from UCD

Options
  • 05-07-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi, so I received 30 out of 60 credits this year in UCD, terrible I know, but I just received a letter from the dean of my school telling me that I will be re-registered for stage 2 net year and will not be permitted to take any stage 3 modules. Will I just be registered for the ones I failed, I presume I won't have to repeat the modules I passed? Will I just pay the 6x€230 for the repeats and the registration fee, or will I pay to pay the full programme fees?
    Please help, I'm so confused! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

ucd11 wrote: »
    Hi, so I received 30 out of 60 credits this year in UCD, terrible I know, but I just received a letter from the dean of my school telling me that I will be re-registered for stage 2 net year and will not be permitted to take any stage 3 modules. Will I just be registered for the ones I failed, I presume I won't have to repeat the modules I passed? Will I just pay the 6x€230 for the repeats and the registration fee, or will I pay to pay the full programme fees?
    Please help, I'm so confused! :(

Repeat or substitution up to 30 credits. Repeat is mandatory of core modules but substitution would be preferable for any others (as repeats have a capped GPA... although substitution is slightly more expensive).

You shouldn't really have to pay more than half reg fee + half student centre fee... but your Programme Office will know better than me. Also check the ucd website because there is some very useful information nestled away in awkward places.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ucd11

Thanks for the reply, but I just can't seem to find the information anywhere on the UCD website!
    Has anyone any experience of this? Really worried that i'll have to pay the full programme fees even though i'l only be doing 30 credits?
    Any responses will be greatly appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

OSI wrote: »
    OneOfThemStumbled is correct, you will pay repeat fees (or substition fees if you go that route) for the modules you failed, plus the registration fee and student centre fee. If you pass your repeats in Christmas and decide not to start Stage 3 until September, then you will be able to pay just half the reg and SC fee.

BTW, it's the first result you get when you search repeats on the UCD website. an
    Is that new/are you sure about it, because when I did a half year of 2 repeats and elected to not start final year till the following september, I had to stump up the full registration fee. At the time, you were only eligible for paying half the fee if you were finished your degree after the first semester, and had no more class to take. If you chose to not register for class in semester 2 when you could've, that was your tough luck.

Thanks for the replys, but it said on the letter I recieved that I would be re-registered to stage 2, does this make any difference? It also said that I won't be allowed to do any stage 3 modules!
    Yeah I know that's the first result, I just thought it might be different for some reason, because it said re-registered to stage 2, although anyone doing repeats would be re-registered to the stage the modules they failed are in? sorry I'm probably just being a bit slow!

Thanks so much for your reply OSI, happy enough paying the registration fee and the 6x €230, way better than the programme fee! I think it was the fact that I was so worried made me so confused and slow, but thanks so much for explaining it so well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Raphael wrote: »
    Is that new/are you sure about it, because when I did a half year of 2 repeats and elected to not start final year till the following september, I had to stump up the full registration fee. At the time, you were only eligible for paying half the fee if you were finished your degree after the first semester, and had no more class to take. If you chose to not register for class in semester 2 when you could've, that was your tough luck.

Lots of changes with fees and grants most years, this year will have changes too. I don't think anybody here will know exactly what the situation will be for this year. So the best advice is to check with fees and grants. AFAIK, the other lads are right in their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Actually, things have changed for this year regarding fees.

A student who is ONLY doing repeats/resits in Semester 1 pays ONLY the resit/repeat fees plus half of the Student Centre Levy. They no longer pay the Student Contribution Charge (€2000 per year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Seriously? Ok, now I'm pissed off...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

taz70 wrote: »

A student who is ONLY doing repeats/resits in Semester 1 pays ONLY the resit/repeat fees plus half of the Student Centre Levy. They no longer pay the Student Contribution Charge (€2000 per year).

Link? Source?

Cos I'm more or less in the same boat this year...

I think i'll be registered for the modules when they are offered as in the first 2 in the semester and then the other 4 in the second semester, so I'll be paying both installments of the registration fee, however this shouldn't affect the repeat fees I pay, as I'm still just repeating them? Also will it come up on SIS that my fee status will be EU/EEA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

confusing lol... im going into stage 2 with 40 out of 60 credits from stage one.. i will be repeating only one exam cause will be compensating 3 others after xmas. When i rang the programme office i was told that i could do some stage two modules as electives in sept even though i wont be in stage 2 till after xmas.. i got a grant lasy year, will i have to pay 2k reg fee or half the reg fee plus the student levy and 230 repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Hey guys, just wanted to say that I failed 4 modules in second year, and just didn't say anything and ended up in 3rd year with 4 extra modules to do. But I went at the work head-on and I have just finished my 4 year degree. However with the way I was able to move forward, I would have thought it would be possible for others to do the same?

I thought I would be able to do the same, as in repeat the modules while soing stage 3 ones as well, but then I recieved the letter telling me i'll be re-registered and not allowed to take any stage 3's, really annoying, but it is my own fault for not doing any work and I deserve to pay the price for doing so bad, as long as I'll only have to pay the repeat fees and the usual registration fee etc i'll be able to cope!

well i was told i could do stage 2 electives as well because il only have to repeat one module.. so dont know why it is different for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Conor775

If you get 45/60 credits in stage 2 year 1 (arts), do you need to repeat modules you failed before progressing to stage 2 year 2?

they can be compensated if your gpa is over 2.0 and if they arent core modules.. but i got 40 out of 60 creds so will have to repeat one at xmas to be able to have 45 creds and then can compensate the other three modules after xmas

corkman123 wrote: »
    they can be compensated if your gpa is over 2.0 and if they arent core modules.. but i got 40 out of 60 creds so will have to repeat one at xmas to be able to have 45 creds and then can compensate the other three modules after xmas
    You can't compensate if they are below E though.

yea i know... i got four E's ...unlucky ha!

BX 19 wrote: »
    Link? Source?

Cos I'm more or less in the same boat this year...

Sorry, I don't have an documentary evidenence - I was speaking to a friend at UCD who read this off an email that had come through this morning. I'm sure it will be online soon enough. Otherwise, contact the Fees Office for confirmation.

ucd11 wrote: »
    I think i'll be registered for the modules when they are offered as in the first 2 in the semester and then the other 4 in the second semester, so I'll be paying both installments of the registration fee, however this shouldn't affect the repeat fees I pay, as I'm still just repeating them? Also will it come up on SIS that my fee status will be EU/EEA?

It's the Student Centre Levy that you still have to pay - not the registration fee. So if you're repeating/resitting in each semester, but not doing any new modules, then you'd have the resit/repeat fees for each module plus the full Student Centre Levy which is around €158.

confusing lol... im going into stage 2 with 40 out of 60 credits from stage one.. i will be repeating only one exam cause will be compensating 3 others after xmas. When i rang the programme office i was told that i could do some stage two modules as electives in sept even though i wont be in stage 2 till after xmas.. i got a grant lasy year, will i have to pay 2k reg fee or half the reg fee plus the student levy and 230 repeat?

Technically you are not going into Stage 2. You will start your second year at UCD in Stage 1. If you need to resit one module so that the other three compensate, then you should be finished with Stage 1 At Christmas. But as you are doing only one resit exam in Semester 1, you should be able to register to the full load of Stage 2 modules - even if you're not technically in Stage 2. They won't be electives, they will be the normal core/option modules that you would have taken if you had completed Stage 1 already. But as always, confirm that with your Programme Office.

In this case, you'd pay the full Student Contribution Charge plus your resit fees.
    Conor775 wrote: »
    If you get 45/60 credits in stage 2 year 1 (arts), do you need to repeat modules you failed before progressing to stage 2 year 2?

Yes. You can only progress into the next Stage when you have at least 50 credits, and even then you still need to complete the failed modules.

Personally, I'd not be so hung up on "stages" - they're more of an administrative thing as far as I understand it. Just remember that you have to complete 60 credits for each year of your degree. If you fail some, then you need to resit/repeat them and if you have a lot of resit/repeat modules you might want to think about not taking a full load in the next semester until you get your resits/repeats sorted out.

EDIT: Question answered, thank you.

• Advertisement

but wont i only have to pay half the registration fee cause ive been awarded a grant again when i get into stage 2... so i presume they will also cover at least half the reg fee in stage 2 ??

Yes. You can only progress into the next Stage when you have at least 50 credits, and even then you still need to complete the failed modules.

Personally, I'd not be so hung up on "stages" - they're more of an administrative thing as far as I understand it. Just remember that you have to complete 60 credits for each year of your degree. If you fail some, then you need to resit/repeat them and if you have a lot of resit/repeat modules you might want to think about not taking a full load in the next semester until you get your resits/repeats sorted out.
    The thing is though, I'm not going into another stage. It's stage 2 year 2. I planned on repeating all failed modules after next year. Do I still need 50 credits to progress?

Conor775 wrote: »
    The thing is though, I'm not going into another stage. It's stage 2 year 2. I planned on repeating all failed modules after next year. Do I still need 50 credits to progress?

Sorry - I went back and reread all of your posts. In Arts, there is only Stage 1 and Stage 2. So if you completed Stage 1 (which I'm assuming you did), then you are now in Stage 2 and there you remain till you graduate. In other words, there is nowhere for you to progress to, as you are already in the final stage for that programme. I don't know for certain that there is any differentiation made between year 1 and year 2, otherwise, they would have just kept it as Stage 2 and Stage 3. So I'm assuming that you currently have 45/120 credits for Stage 2 and that you need to work your butt off to finalise the remaining 75 if you want to graduate this year!!

corkman123 - sorry - I really don't know how it all works with grants etc. Just on the info I had, if you are doing Stage 2 modules in addition to your resits, then you will need to pay the two grand. If you're only doing resits, then you don't. You're really best off checking with the Programme Office/Fees Office.

really? but because after xmas il be in stage 2, il be getting my grant then...surely my local grant authority will pay the reg fee for stage 2?

really? but because after xmas il be in stage 2, il be getting my grant then...surely my local grant authority will pay the reg fee for stage 2?

Like I said, I don't know how grants work. If the grant normally covers the registration fee, then I assume they will pay it. But you'd need to confirm with the Fees Office. I was only saying that the if you're doing anything more than just resits you'd be liable for the full registration fee - who pays it is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grey99

What about if you subtitute modules? I've failed two modules which aren't offered this semester so I am forced to substitute. It seems unfair to charge me full fees for them when I didn't have a choice but to substitute.

I'm going into a repeat semester also and am really worried about the fees. They said I'll find out when registration opens.

grey99 wrote: »
    What about if you subtitute modules? I've failed two modules which aren't offered this semester so I am forced to substitute. It seems unfair to charge me full fees for them when I didn't have a choice but to substitute.

I'm going into a repeat semester also and am really worried about the fees. They said I'll find out when registration opens.

That I don't know, but I would say that if you are doing new modules, then you'd probably have to pay the fee. But honestly, I don't know. Are these the last modules you have to complete?

Just out of interest, can you not resit the modules you failed (as opposed to repeat)? Why do you have to substitute them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

grey99 wrote: »

Are resits offered in the other module? Or just no repeats?

If you are just taking equivalent modules, you are not substituting.

Also to everybody else, just ask the relevant programme offices and Fees instead of just talking about it here and possibly getting incorrect answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grey99

That I don't know, but I would say that if you are doing new modules, then you'd probably have to pay the fee. But honestly, I don't know. Are these the last modules you have to complete?

Just out of interest, can you not resit the modules you failed (as opposed to repeat)? Why do you have to substitute them?
    Are resits offered in the other module? Or just no repeats?

If you are just taking equivalent modules, you are not substituting.

Also to everybody else, just ask the relevant programme offices and Fees instead of just talking about it here and possibly getting incorrect answers!
    Yes they are the last.

I took a year out. Apparently you can only resit the first semester after you fail. Otherwise I would resit. The course isn't offered in Semester 1 so I can't 'repeat' either. I want to get everything done in one term.

• Advertisement

Just one last question, which is probably a stupid one, but just to make sure,
    you can't be re-registered to modules that you've already passed?

Advertisement