Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

silage cut - Now what

• 05-07-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

Ok people.

Silage wrapped and stacked. I have 46 bales of silaged baled by a McHale 550 and 22 bales of silage baled by a welger from last year. No cheap wrap used and all wilted for 24 hours and mowed dry and baled dry.

Will this be enough silage for 11 yearlings an 17 of this years calves for the winter. The yearlings will be 20 months old and calves approx 9 months old when going into the shed in nov and ill probably keep into Feb/March. Ill feed ration at approx 2lb to calves and 3lb to yearlings

On my silage ground what will i do? Let it naturally recover? spread CAN on it (have a few bags left over) or pig slurry. My slatted tank is empty

Thank you for the advice

(PS, im part time and this is a hobby but cant be letting onto the lads down the pub that i dont have a plan in place ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I don't think you have enough silage,
    I worked it out as
    11 yearling's X 1.2 bales/month = 13.2
    17 runner calf's X 0.6 b/m = 10.2
    thats 23.4 bales per month in total

As for the silage ground, I`d let it green up a bit before spreading the CAN, but if you have access to slurry then throw it out on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Hi Grecco,

Thank you for that.

The yearlings were last years calves and in 5 months they ate 32 bales.. Ties completely into your calculations Grecco

So i better talk to the OH and ask is it time to sell a few or take up more ground.

There are a few piggeries around. Its cheap **** at 30 euro for 5000 gallons delivered to your yard. I presume i would water it a bit and not put out in on sunny days.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

There are a few piggeries around. Its cheap **** at 30 euro for 5000 gallons delivered to your yard. I presume i would water it a bit and not put out in on sunny days.[/QUOTE]

It will be watery enough without adding any more to it, i find it varies a lot from the different tanks in the local piggery nearer to me and you will see a difference in the way the grass grows afterwards, so you could be better putting your money into a few more bags of fert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Grecco wrote: »
    I don't think you have enough silage,
    I worked it out as
    11 yearling's X 1.2 bales/month = 13.2
    17 runner calf's X 0.6 b/m = 10.2
    thats 23.4 bales per month in total

As for the silage ground, I`d let it green up a bit before spreading the CAN, but if you have access to slurry then throw it out on it

a yearling wont eat anything close to 1 . 2 bales of silage per month , more like 0. 8 bales per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

irishh_bob wrote: »
    a yearling wont eat anything close to 1 . 2 bales of silage per month , more like 0. 8 bales per month

Yep our yearling heifers are in pens of 11 and the bale usually averages 3.5 days

So OP you will use 1 bale every 3.5 days for the yearling and 1 bale every 4.5 days for the calves i would say

• Advertisement
Advertisement