Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

opinion on architect's quote

• 05-07-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭

If this is in the wrong place please feel free to move.
    Have been quoted 2200 for the following work by an architect:
    • design & drawing of all plans
    • trial hole &percolation tests
    • level survey
    • pre planning meeting
    • prep of site location map
    • site layout drawing
    • prep of planning application & site notice, plus lodging of application
    Does this represent good value? Also, I need to check if the trial hole item covers all work involved i.e. cost of any machine work

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yes it does... and generally the onus is on the client to organise the percolation holes to be opened.

if i were to break it down id say:

550 percolation testing
    250 level survey
    50 pre planning

which leaves
    1350 for the design and prep of the planning documents.

This is a good quote IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yup. Id agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This is a very good quote. Cant see you getting cheaper really. I assume there is little design involved at that kind of price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

mickdw wrote: »
    This is a very good quote. Cant see you getting cheaper really. I assume there is little design involved at that kind of price.
    thanks to all for replying. By design am I right that you mean 'what the house will be'? I guess there isnt a huge amount involved, we know what we want and I had it roughly drawn out already, so it just needs refining.
    that price was ex vat but by the sounds of it I'll still be doing good with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    thanks to all for replying. By design am I right that you mean 'what the house will be'? I guess there isnt a huge amount involved, we know what we want and I had it roughly drawn out already, so it just needs refining.
    If i had a euro for every-time I've heard that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

BryanF wrote: »
    If i had a euro for every-time I've heard that....
    Thanks for that,very helpful :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

If this is in the wrong place please feel free to move.
    Have been quoted 2200 for the following work by an architect:
    • design & drawing of all plans
    • trial hole &percolation tests
    • level survey
    • pre planning meeting
    • prep of site location map
    • site layout drawing
    • prep of planning application & site notice, plus lodging of application
    Does this represent good value? Also, I need to check if the trial hole item covers all work involved i.e. cost of any machine work

It is a good quote I wouldn't do it for that price as there's too much involved although I do notice that the service stops at submission of planning application. I find that a lot of my work in this area is at further information stage where you have to spend a lot of time sorting out the totally daft FI requests the planners are comming out with becasue they have little else for doing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

No6 wrote: »
    It is a good quote I wouldn't do it for that price as there's too much involved although I do notice that the service stops at submission of planning application. I find that a lot of my work in this area is at further information stage where you have to spend a lot of time sorting out the totally daft FI requests the planners are comming out with becasue they have little else for doing!!

I charge for FI's by the hour. I include it as part of the fee agreement exclusions. If the FI is an hour or two of work, I wouldn't charge though.

Not a bad price for a PP though, OP. If the architect is any good, then it's a good deal - considering that a full planning application can take up to 50 hours work, then you're getting him or her at a very competitive hourly rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I generally try to include it as part of my basic fee as i have found it very difficult to get paid anything for FI, it dosn't matter what is agreed!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

No6 wrote: »
    I generally try to include it as part of my basic fee as i have found it very difficult to get paid anything for FI, it dosn't matter what is agreed!!

Just issue the invoice before you complete the F.I. - if they don't pay, don't submit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Thanks for that,very helpful :-)

:D. Looks like a good quote that covers all the major work that you'll need done, as mentioned above though just ask how they charge for further information. Unfortunately, with a planning application for a new house you will be nearly guaranteed to get one.

Best of luck with the new house

Advertisement