Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring car ownership - insurance issues?

Options
  • 05-07-2011 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I'm in the process of transferring car ownership from my Dad to me. He has an insurance policy for the car and I am listed as a named dirver thereon. Is there any impact on the insurance in policy in doing so or can it remain in place?

Or alternatively, do i now need to be the primary insured party with my Dad listed as the named driver.

Thanks for your advice in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

El Camino wrote: »
    Or alternatively, do i now need to be the primary insured party with my Dad listed as the named driver.

Yes, you need to get yourself as the policyholder because your father is no longer the owner. Effectively the policy becomes void as soon as your father ceases to own the car because the policy was taken out on the basis that it was his car.

This means that your father will need to send back the cert. and disc and ask for a pro-rata refund (for the unexpired portion of the policy) and you will need to negotiate a brand new policy from the same or a different company.

It will not be a case of swapping names around, you will need to terminate the old policy and take out a brand new one.

Advertisement