Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couriers for parcel delivery, which one to choose?

Options
  • 05-07-2011 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have just started my business and am looking for a reliable courier but also competitively priced. I have used plenty before that have been reliable but costs would be too high to pass onto customers.

I have been looking at two couriers 1) Fastway couriers and 2) City Post and would like to know your experiencs and any advice you have for me. Most of my parcels would range from 2-7kgs and I would hope to be sending at least 50+ per month to start off with.

Thanks,
    John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Try DPD as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Munster Sports Nutrition

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Try DPD as well.

Tried DPD in Limerick with a package last month and was told €25 so said no thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Tried DPD in Limerick with a package last month and was told €25 so said no thank you.

Wow! I've heard they can be competitive but that's clearly way off the mark. I'd say fastway might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Exactly what part of the city are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

I've no direct exerience with DPD, but generally a one-off parcel will be quite expensive, setting up an account and having good volumes willl get you good rates. Try to get a meeting with an area sales rep to discuss your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

DPD €15 for a CB radio from Donegal to Cork. Overnight too. I'd ask them again but they may not have agreements in the Limerick area, hence their seemingly non competitive price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Munster Sports Nutrition

I just called to the DPD depot on the dock road one day and was told €25 minimum charge so went with nightline next day for €20. Nightline are excellent maybe as you say when I get more volume I can get better prices from couriers. CityPost seem to be circa €12 flat rate but once you go over 40 parcels in a month you get a 45% rebate so about the €6.50 mark which is good but I don't know anything about their service. Fastway have a similiar scheme.

I am based between just outside of Rathkeale.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

An Post will send any box up to 10KGs next day, signature and insured for €4.95

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Seperate wrote: »
    An Post will send any box up to 10KGs next day, signature and insured for €4.95

I can't see any evidence this is correct at An Post's website charges. We use An Post ever day so I'd love this to be true.

We use DPD for large items. They aren't the cheapest but never had an issue with them. Great service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 OxiMoron

I've been using An Post for over two years, they often have the parcel delivered the next day and at 5.75 for a standard small package (fit through the mail box) it's competetive.
    I haven't lost a single parcel, the only downside is having to go to the PO most days but I only post about 7 parcels a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

One off and you'll get quotes like that from everyone.

50 a month is low enough, so expect rates to come in around €7.50, as you grow you'll get cheaper rates. (i'm at 500+ a month and pay less than €5 / parcel in Ireland, €8.50 for UK and circa €15 for europe.)

Subsidise it for customers - charge no more than 4.95.

Also look to see who is nearest you and also check An Post - they are very agressive in this market too (ignore their published rates).

Strings.ie wrote: »
    I can't see any evidence this is correct at An Post's website charges. We use An Post ever day so I'd love this to be true.

We use DPD for large items. They aren't the cheapest but never had an issue with them. Great service.

I stand corrected, it's 5.95 for signature, insurance, track & signature.

4.95 for track only.

It's not on their website, its not for normal consumers, business only. Here's a pic of the flyer, its seen better days cos I've had it lying around for a while!

imagegavb.jpg

I've used them for the last 18 months, very little problems. 98% next day, and only 1 damaged parcel out of hundreds sent.

It says offer ends june 2010, but they are still that price now, only bought a couple of sets last week.

Seperate wrote: »
    I stand corrected, it's 5.95 for signature, insurance, track & signature.

4.95 for track only.

It's not on their website, its not for normal consumers, business only. Here's a pic of the flyer, its seen better days cos I've had it lying around for a while!

imagegavb.jpg

I've used them for the last 18 months, very little problems. 98% next day, and only 1 damaged parcel out of hundreds sent.

Thanks Seperate for that, I'm going to look into this right away.

Just been on to An Post. The current offer is €45.50 for 10 labels Expresspost. Expires on the 8th of July then the price goes to €6.50. This is limited to up to 2kg. The An Post staff member kept putting me on hold to go a check every time I asked a question so I didn't get to find out about a parcelpost option.

I need a service with a fixed pricing so we can have our website shipping calculator provide accurate pricing for customers. I'm happy with An post's infrastructure but I really wish they would cop on, there's plenty more business they could be getting.

Advertisement