Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before leading politicans can admit to being atheist ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There are a good few Athiest politicians already - it isn't a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't know.

I'll just take the example of Jihadism to try and explain what I'm thinking ("try" being the operative word).
    Let's say for argument's sake, that Politician X is the best qualified person for the Finance portfolio, and is a jihadist. Politician Y is not quiet as qualified and is an Atheist.
    Now, if I had confidence in X, that he/she would not let their own personal religious beliefs interfere with how they were to handle the Finance job, then I'd like to think I'd vote for them over Y.

But, this is just a naive idealistic view on the world I know.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm kinda wrestling two sides of myself here.

I think if Politician X is truly the best then surely he's the one to vote for. Knowingly voting for an inferior candidate wouldn't make sense. Thing is, you can't know for sure which one is the best. You have a limited amount of information to inform your decision. If one candidate is a jihadist (or whatever), then there's a greater probability that he's insane or stupid. Not ideal qualities for a leader.

Let's look at another scenario. Mr X doesn't believe in the theory of gravity. He's quite convinced it's a hoax created by the lizard people. This belief might well not affect him as Minister for Finance, but his views will reduce your confidence in him, and rightly so. He will seem far less qualified than a similar candidate who lacks such bizarre views

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I think if Politician X is truly the best then surely he's the one to vote for. Knowingly voting for an inferior candidate wouldn't make sense. Thing is, you can't know for sure which one is the best. You have a limited amount of information to inform your decision. If one candidate is a jihadist (or whatever), then there's a greater probability that he's insane or stupid. Not ideal qualities for a leader.

Let's look at another scenario. Mr X doesn't believe in the theory of gravity. He's quite convinced it's a hoax created by the lizard people. This belief might well not affect him as Minister for Finance, but his views will reduce your confidence in him, and rightly so. He will seem far less qualified than a similar candidate who lacks such bizarre views

How his personal beliefs may effect his performance are part of his suitability.

Someone who smears calf blood over the heads of all his workers but saves the company 5% in costs may not be preferable to someone who doesn't and only saves the company 2.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Someone who smears calf blood over the heads of all his workers but saves the company 5% in costs may not be preferable to someone who doesn't and only saves the company 2.5%.

What?!

In what company would that be welcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

bleg wrote: »
    What?!

One without any vegetarians or vegans. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I see what you mean. I suppose we'll never have a situation where personality doesn't come into it at some level unfortunately.
    bleg wrote: »
    What?!

Ryanair would love to save 5% I think.....

Advertisement