Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Had interview yesterday. Does no call last night mean no job??

• 05-07-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

I did an interview yesterday. It went quite well but I did think the questions were a little general.

My friend told me that if I got the job they would have phoned me from the school last night. Otherwise just wait for the PFO in the post.

Does this mean there is no point in hoping???:confused:

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Newteacher wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I did an interview yesterday. It went quite well but I did think the questions were a little general.

My friend told me that if I got the job they would have phoned me from the school last night. Otherwise just wait for the PFO in the post.

Does this mean there is no point in hoping???:confused:

Thanks everyone!

Not knowing if the teacher hiring process is different to private but... of course not. They could be interviewing many people over a few days. If they were doing the interviews properly, they wouldn't know who is suitable until they see everyone.

I know it's tough. I've been for an interview and have been told it will take until at least Friday to hear back. It's nail biting time until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Just for the next time, you should always ask when you should expect to hear from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Newteacher

Yeah...I know...I thought to do that at the time but then I felt it might sound a bit too cocky!!???

Wierd I know...:)

Just wondering how many people got the call for their job the evening after the interview? My friend reckons that's standard practise. She's just texted me to go for comiseration drinks drinks later!!:(( She's def that the job's a gonner!!):confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Hi Newteacher..

Im newly qualified also so I understand how anxious you are!
    I had my first job interview since I qualified yesterday evening and the principal phoned me from the school at 11pm to offer me the job.. I was surprised that he was ringing me that late!

Oftentimes they do ring on the evening of the interview day, but it could be a few days also if they are ringing your referees etc!

Good luck!

Thanks for that and....Congratulations Rose23!!

That must feel so good! I would love to be in your shoes....it would great to be able to relax a little knowing that something was set up for Sept.

I really had a good feeling at the interview yesterday, everyone was so nice and appeared interested. Now hearing that you got the phone call (even at an ungodly hour!) makes me feel even more certain that someone got the call for my job too.

ah well....at least I got some experience...right!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It can take time for all sorts of reasons - checking referees, conferring with management, even the first person offered the job not accepting.

Don't despair yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Best thing to do is to try and not get your hopes up. It really feels awful when you are so hopeful about a position and then get that damn letter in the post.
    I would say you should hear by Friday afternoon if you get it.......no harm in ringing maybe next Monday if you don't hear anything by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

A lot of the time you don't even get a PFO from schools after an interview. Very frustrating, and just rude really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Not really on the same vein here but I had an interview (vec) 7 days ago. They told me they would let me know within a week. I haven't heard anything yet. They didn't tell me if they would be sending a letter or calling. I know its only 7 days today but I'm fairly anxious to find out. If I rang the VEC office would they be able to tell me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Don't give up just yet, and keep applying for jobs anyways!

I got offered the job but have another interview later in the week and the Principal offered to give me a week to decide like. So obviously the other interviewees have heard nothing about the interview, and wont until I make my decision I suppose. Kinda mean I know but it was the principals call not mine..

So there is hope yet!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not really on the same vein here but I had an interview (vec) 7 days ago. They told me they would let me know within a week. I haven't heard anything yet. They didn't tell me if they would be sending a letter or calling. I know its only 7 days today but I'm fairly anxious to find out. If I rang the VEC office would they be able to tell me?

Ask when the VEC committee meeting is/was - usually appointments have to go through it first.

I'm afraid my friend was right! I got my PFO in the post this morning. At least it wasn't a surprise for me. I had pretty much written it off after I hadn't received a call the night after the interview.

My friend reckons that to have received a letter so quickly is a sign that the job was already gone and there probably was someone in the job already and this was just the procedure to give her the post officially.

Don't you hate being used as fodder? I went to so much trouble and I would never have gone for interview if I knew it was already gone!

Is there any way of knowing for the future if the interview is a waste of time? I mean, the interview panel must feel mean giving interviews to people knowing that they are just wasting their time??!!!:confused:

On the bright side, thanks to everyone who responded to this thread as I didn't feel alone while doing the nail biting!! Good luck to all in the same boat!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Newteacher wrote: »
    I'm afraid my friend was right! I got my PFO in the post this morning. At least it wasn't a surprise for me. I had pretty much written it off after I hadn't received a call the night after the interview.

My friend reckons that to have received a letter so quickly is a sign that the job was already gone and there probably was someone in the job already and this was just the procedure to give her the post officially.

Don't you hate being used as fodder? I went to so much trouble and I would never have gone for interview if I knew it was already gone!

Is there any way of knowing for the future if the interview is a waste of time? I mean, the interview panel must feel mean giving interviews to people knowing that they are just wasting their time??!!!:confused:

On the bright side, thanks to everyone who responded to this thread as I didn't feel alone while doing the nail biting!! Good luck to all in the same boat!!:)

Not really unless you know someone working in the school/VEC who can give you the heads up. A friend of mine was at an interview last week, he was kept in for 40 mins and at the end when he was getting up to leave he was told 'thanks for coming, but there is already someone in the position' Not sure where they stand legally doing that at the interview, but it was a total waste of his time.

Another friend had an interview two days ago. Panel of seven interviewing her (lots of free lunches still being taken advantage of) and the same thing happened, told at the end of the interview that there was already someone in the position. It's horrible abusing applicants like that. We're all aware that some jobs are already gone but there's no need to rub people's noses in it, a PFO in the post would suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

While I agree that it's horrible doing an interview for a job that's already gone, there is an upside, especially in VECs. I did an interview four years ago for a job that was already gone (I kind of knew as I had rang the principal of the school) and sure enough got my pfo a few days later. However, the letter also said that I had been placed on a panel for my subjects and was number 1. A month later, someone retired and I got her job automatically - no interview!

Advertisement