Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judge Advocate General

• 05-07-2011 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, could anyone give me some info on the Judge Advocate General's office in Ireland (if indeed there even is one) please? How many people work there? Is there a high workload? Are all the staff there military? And how does one get to work there?

I think I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the current Judge Advocate General is a barrister but I can't remember where and that's literally all the information I have!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

The Judge Advocate General is a civilian lawyer appointed by the president. There is also a Military Judge, a Director of Military Prosecutions and a Court-Martial Administrator.

The Military Judge and the Director of Military Prosecutions have to be officers and lawyers.

There are barristers and solicitors within the defence forces but I can't find much info on the exact route to become one.

For starters, apply for a cadetship, preferably with a Law degree and possibly qualification as a solicitor or barrister but for a school leaver, you could do these after the cadetship. Once in the Army, I'd say that the Military Police Corps would be where you'd be looking to go.

As for numbers and workload, I haven't got the slightest clue, sorry.

Here's a link - www.raco.ie/Refined&Respected.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wilsonm4

That's great, thanks!

I'm actually about to qualify as a solicitor and have applied for a cadetship and I'm just thinking about potential career paths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

how realisticaly is a school leaver going to be accpeted for the cadets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

c-90 wrote: »

Very realistically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

The rising number of graduate cadets is a result of increasing numbers of graduate applicants rather than a shift from taking on school leavers. If a candidate is good enough, the fact that they don't have a degree won't stand in their way as they'll get one and be committed to the army because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Bear in mind that you will have to have a Leaving Cert that will allow you to go to University. Notably in Galway. It's more or less expected that you will study for a degree.

The army students have to wear uniforms while attending college.

Advertisement