Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few days stay in Bantry

Options
  • 05-07-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi me and my family are thinking of staying in Bantry for a couple of days at the end of the month, does anyone have any recommendations of what to see or do around there we have a car so dont mind traveling around. i also have a toddler so some child friendly activities would be good too!:) Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

If weather is good Bally Donegan Beach past Castletown beare or Barley cove by the Mizen if you like sandy beaches, nice drives as well .

Also get lost on the back roads, you will find some hidden gems

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

Being from Bantry( i dont currently live there) I am stuck to think what to do with a toddler (not having kids myself)....
    There is also a nice but small and safe beach just 3 miles outside bantry on the goats path road.... its called Rooska and basically only locals know it. You need to go thru a field to get there pm me for directions....
    There is the cinema in town for older kids and lots of nice walks and sightseeing... Bantry House, Garinish in Glengarriff, Gougane Barra is only about 35 mins away. I used to run a b& b there (now closed)...
    I can reccomend places to eat if you need...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Thanks very much for all your suggestions.. we're going to be staying in the Westlodge hotel.. is that far from Bantry village/town? yes nice places to eat suggestions would be great thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

westlodge is grand, about a 15- 25 min walk to town centre, you can go by the sea or back lane that passes thru bantry house.
    Nicest places to eat are O connors for seafood (expensive and fancy), The Snug- great grub, i think they have their own abbatoir so excellent steaks and very family/reasonably priced. The brick oven is great for pizzas. I prob wudnt bother eating much in the hotel apart from breakfasts.... the chinese is relatively decent (cant rem name) and I have recently heard good things about the indian restaurant, NOT the takeaway. If u want instructions to that tiny beach I can give them in a pm. You do not need to go as far as ailihies/eyeries or c't'bere for a swim.

• Advertisement

all_smilz

Thought we wern't supposed to talk about Rooska to outsiders
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Thanks for all yer replies! :)

Just remembered Donemark Falls, use to be a nice quiet place, lovely gardens and free

Hope yuo enjoy your stay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Just remembered Donemark Falls, use to be a nice quiet place, lovely gardens and free

Still quiet and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jpt77

Willie pa's just outside Bantry is a great place to eat too. Its a car drive outside of bantry but you wont be dissappointed. Cant recommend the food highly enough.....its mid range priced but if youre looking for a nice feed head there- think they might have a kids menu but anytime we've been there they are more than accommodating!
    Think that expensive seafood place in the square closed down...but could be mistaken :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The seafood place(O'Connor's) reopened under new management 4 or 5 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

all_smilz wrote: »
    There is also a nice but small and safe beach just 3 miles outside bantry on the goats path road.... its called Rooska and basically only locals know it. You need to go thru a field to get there pm me for directions....

where is that beach?? was on that rd 3 times today on my way to and from Bantry and only beach i taught it might be is just before the mussel factory down a lane and across a field?? is that the one or is there another one? woulnt mind trying it out, sick of the beaches on the south side of the peninsula :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

mp22 wrote: »
    The seafood place(O'Connor's) reopened under new management 4 or 5 weeks ago.

Ate there and couldn't fault it in any way.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Hi there,

Just thought I'd add my tuppence worth. I'd highly recommend "The Ewe" just outside Glengarriff on the Kenmare road. I visited there with my parents last week and I have to say it's fantastic. It'll be even better with a toddler in tow, I saw other kids there who were nearly peeing their pants with excitement! It truly is a magical place and should be made a mandatory annual pilgrimage. There is a little tearoom on site which serves tea and cake etc. and the owners are extremely kind and friendly. The whole place oozes calm. Take your time and look into every nook and cranny for the next surprise!

Have a look at their website, but a little warning first, just give the site a quick browse, so as to not ruin too much of the magic of seeing it first-hand! http://www.theewe.com

Glengarriff also has a bamboo garden, lovely restaurants, a nice fish and chips place on the left just past the walk down to the Blue Pool. Boats leave here for the Garinish Island which has a formal garden on it that has some very exotic plants that won't grow anywhere else in Ireland - due to the warm coastal climate.

Also, I'd recommend the Ring of Beara for spectacular views and pretty villages such as Eyeries (tbh I think it's better than the Ring of Kerry, we did both). We stayed in Kenmare which is about 40 mins away from Bantry, through the very cool Caha Pass, and is a nice spot with some cool little shops/galleries (Mango, Brushwood) and nice food in Foley's or O'Donobhains across the road.

Was at Mizen Head a few years ago, which has a nice interpretive centre (toilets/restaurant) and the pedestrian Bridge over to the light house has been newly renovated and reopened. Bantry house itself is also a pretty cool place that is still lived in by a descendant of the original owners. It also has tearooms and lovely gardens which have views over the bay. One nice aspect here, is that you have the option of paying to view the gardens only or pay to have a look inside the house too.

Not sure if you'd head as far as Killarney about 1.5 hours away from Bantry but if you do, I'd visit the traditional farm at Muckross. There is a petting area tucked away behind the largest farmhouse in the park which has pigs and piglets, sheep, hens, horses, ducks, goats and a very friendly calf. It also has a bouncy castle beside it. Kids loved it while we visited. Wouldn't bother with the house tour though as it feels a bit rushed and they're pretty strict about not touching anything which some children found it very hard to do.

Loads and loads to keep you going.:)

Advertisement