Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suitable fencing for turkeys

• 05-07-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

I'm hoping to rear a few turkeys for Christmas and trying to find out what fencing would suit. The turkeys will be bought at about six weeks old so what is the maximum spacing i will be allowed in the fence and also what height would it have to be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

You are having them out in a field?

Are you concerned about foxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Min wrote: »
    You are having them out in a field?

Are you concerned about foxes?

Didn't he mention they are to be fenced in??- in any case a lad used to handling guns and gundogs should have no problem dealing with Mr Fox:D;)

PS: Depending on the area to be enclosed, I'd go with standard chicken wire to 5 ft, topped off with another 2-3ft of sheep wire. Some might see this as a bit excessive but don't forget that the Bronze boys like to roost in trees when they can and I have seen them attempt to clear close to 6ft when the mood takes them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I was going to rear a turkey for the Christmas dinner last year until the rearer said that they are €12 for 6 week olds:eek: add feed and time onto that makes it a costly Christmas dinner. I bought 2 oven ready chickens last week for €3 each, last year I reared a few broilers which cost €7 each to slaughter. Not saying that the op shouldn't rear turkeys though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i dont think anyone rearing a few turkeys for the christmas dinner is in it for the profit:o

whelan1 wrote: »
    i dont think anyone rearing a few turkeys for the christmas dinner is in it for the profit:o
    If that is an answer to my post I never mentioned profit :rolleyes: Just pointing out that it is a costly exercise, when chicken and turkeys are a dime a dozen in the supermarkets;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

If that is an answer to my post I never mentioned profit :rolleyes: Just pointing out that it is a costly exercise, when chicken and turkeys are a dime a dozen in the supermarkets;)

But at least you know what your turkey was fed on and for how long he was fed. You just won't get that with a supermarket turkey. There is also a huge taste difference between a home reared turkey and that of a Supermarket IMO

reilig wrote: »
    But at least you know what your turkey was fed on and for how long he was fed. You just won't get that with a supermarket turkey. There is also a huge taste difference between a home reared turkey and that of a Supermarket IMO
    Everything you say is true even though the majority of people will go for the cheaper supermarket bird every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Everything you say is true even though the majority of people will go for the cheaper supermarket bird every time.

I agree.

But there is a shift coming. Many people are changing to the free range turkey - bought directly off the rearer. Butchers around here are sourcing their turkeys from these free range farms too!

Advertisement