Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trition T90 SI

Options
  • 05-07-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I am looking for a knackered trition t90 si for parts. I need a new/reconditioned motor/pump, im not in a position to purchase a new shower/or have a call out. any help appreciated...shower will not work, power is ok, and water is flowing through it, but just no pump or motor, please dont tell me its knackered and that my only option is a new one...which is not an option. I'd ideally love a reconditioned/secondhand pump/motor.....or would that not be advisable? cheers in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Maybe you can remove the cover and take a few good photos of the internals of the shower, it could possibly be a connection problem on on the wiring to the motor. if you do, switch off the MCB or RCBO for the shower and the pullchord or wall switch depending which it has.

Or brushes need replacing, although they seem to last for the lifetime of any showers as they are running for only a relatively small percentage of their lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ycyl

HI Robbie,

Thanks for the quick reply, I changed the brushes this morning they did look a little worn. All the wires are where they should be and good and tight. however all around the motor looks dirty black and dusty.

Id say the motor is goosed.....

Black and dusty around the pump motor would not be abnormal, the dust from the brushes does deposit around the inside of the shower unit, and is more prevelant the closer to the motor brushes you look. Make sure the brushes are freely able to move within the brush holders and are not stuck as well.

There may also be a thermal overheat sensor on the pump motor stator windings, it is on the t90xr pump amyway, so its likely on the t90si also.

It may well be open circuited, and a continuity tester will show if it is. This will stop the pump from running.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

try this
    cut off all the electricity from breaker box ,pull cord ect . remove cover on shower .dont mind the soot black in around the motor ,its just what the other poster said .
    with a screw driver ,[gently mind ] push the brushes from behind into the motor [you said you changed the brushes but did you redo the connectors right ?] they have to sit in the slot to allow the brushes to move into the motor .common mistake made by even plumbers .
    after you can see the brushes touching the motor itself then switch back on the power [being VERY careful ] try the shower .stay out of the tray when doing this and make sure the hose is hanging down to the tray .
    if you get some kinda movement then its just a brushes problem that needs fixing .it not then id look at getting a new motor .
    triton parts can be sourced from their warehouse in maynooth .
    hope this helps .

• Advertisement

Well here is another possibility. The item the blue arrow is pointing at is a thermal cutout. If that has gone, the pump wont run. It sits against the windings and has 2 blue wires coming out of it. A continuity tester will tell if its gone if the 2 blue wires are pulled off their terminals and tested.

It is in the position shown when you look at the pump with the shower cover removed.

t90pump.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ycyl

To Robbie 7730 and Lost Marbles,

I have just spent the last few hours in the shower (think I'd be clean) and I've got it to work and I havent been electrocuted (the wife is gutted...she had the bag packed and was just sitting downstairs waiting for the bang)
    All that was wrong as Lost marbles suggested was that in my stupidity and complete lack of knowledge I didnt push/click out the brushes, I just put them in the way they came from the shop, but all is grand and working perfect, I'm so relieved and thankful to you both for your speedy and valued info.
    I am so smug that I fixed the shower for a tenner......a new triton would be great but finances (like everybodys) dont stretch at the moment,

Thank you so much Lads,

If you needed to push the brushes into the motor commutator, they may still not freely move in as they wear. You will know anyway if it acts up again in a few weeks. Probably will be ok though as they probably clicked into position properly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

ycyl wrote: »
    To Robbie 7730 and Lost Marbles,

I have just spent the last few hours in the shower (think I'd be clean) and I've got it to work and I havent been electrocuted (the wife is gutted...she had the bag packed and was just sitting downstairs waiting for the bang)
    All that was wrong as Lost marbles suggested was that in my stupidity and complete lack of knowledge I didnt push/click out the brushes, I just put them in the way they came from the shop, but all is grand and working perfect, I'm so relieved and thankful to you both for your speedy and valued info.
    I am so smug that I fixed the shower for a tenner......a new triton would be great but finances (like everybodys) dont stretch at the moment,

Thank you so much Lads,
    that smug feeling when you fixed something yourself is the dogs whatsits :D
    glad i could help .as you said yourself a few years ago when the finances were there ,it would have been call out a plumber or get a new shower .
    cheers

glad i could help .as you said yourself a few years ago when the finances were there ,it would have been call out a plumber or get a new shower .
    cheers

I think i mentioned the stuck brushes myself, would a plumber test for that?:pac:,, maybe they would.

But on a more serious note, would a plumber do electrical tests on a shower? They are one of the simplest electrical devices to find problems in once you`re actually at the shower in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I have a knackered T90Si if you still need it. I managed to hit it a bang with my elbow (I like dancing in the shower) which was right on the on/off button and it turned off. I thought nothing of it until my Dance Partner (Wife) got in the shower a while later and came back out saying the shower was broken... It sounds like a strimmer with no string...its spinning way too fast with little or no water coming out the shower head, so sounds like an impeller/pump broblem... Anyways, the brother in law had a spare shower lying around so I gave him a few bob,the new one is being fitted Friday.

Sounds more like a water flow problem, possibly the filter blocked, solenoid valve problem.. etc.

Although if the impellor somehow became detached from the pump shaft, the same effect would happen, but water would still free flow out of the shower even with the pump not running at all, just at a lot lower a flow rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Checked the filter and it wasn't blocked...water flow is fine so I'd say it is the impellor.....

Advertisement