Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoT Löwe getting a price increase in ONE week

Options
  • 05-07-2011 3:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭

As probably most know I'm a big cheer leader for Löwe for cash farming so be warned in ONE week the price will go up from 7.500 gold (30 EUR) to 12.500 gold (around 45 EUR). Hence if you ever were on the fence, or wanted a good credit grinding machine (you'll need one at higher tiers for the multi million cost of tanks etc.) now is the time to buy it!
    Lowe: Upcoming Price Revision and Weekly Special
    Being extremely careful when it comes to adjustment of premium vehicles, we have assessed great amount of stat data and stumbled upon an unfair pricing German tier 8 premium heavy tank - Lowe.

As the data samples from all 3 servers show, the Lowe enjoys better overall combat performance compared to his direct counterpart KV-5 from Soviet tank tree.

To put both tanks on a par, we have decided to raise the price tag to 12.500 gold pieces on July 12, 2011.

Your last chance to grab Lowe at old price is to get hold of weekly special starting July 5 (today).

Goes without saying that all players who already own this piece of German machinery will keep it. So as to make it for all players who intended to buy Lowe we give this weekly notice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

best buy i had in game, slagged everyone that used it till i bought it.

absolute credit machine, avg of about 60k per game, including losses, repairs are about 12, sheels are 1k each.

i must have gotten 160k free xp on it by now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

€30 was bad enough, but I reckon most will choke at €45. I suspect they've earned the vast majority of what they expect to from the Lowes. It would've been fairer to just refund the KV5 owners, it would've been gold back, not money, so they wouldn't have lost revenue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Spear wrote: »
    €30 was bad enough, but I reckon most will choke at €45. I suspect they've earned the vast majority of what they expect to from the Lowes. It would've been fairer to just refund the KV5 owners, it would've been gold back, not money, so they wouldn't have lost revenue.
    I disagree Spear, for what it offers it is god send for the reduced grinding needed for credits to buy the new tanks (besides 30 EUR can simply be seen as buying a retail game :) ).

The reason for disparity is also very easy to explain, KV-5 is a tank with a small gun, Löwe is a sniper with a big gun. Since you get no exp/credits for taking damage the KV-5 by definition will fare worse (since team play in general public games is non existent) then a Löwe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Nody wrote: »
    I disagree Spear, for what it offers it is god send for the reduced grinding needed for credits to buy the new tanks (besides 30 EUR can simply be seen as buying a retail game :) ).

But imagine it as €45 for the Lower, plus €10 for a months premium, and it's now €55 and comes to more than a normal full price game for something that's meant to be free to play. Many will be stopped by that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm going to hold off. I have the Mutant 6 which isn't a bad earner, and the T34 will become a premium as well, which should be fairly decent. Plus the various little tanks which turn a tidy profit, such as Easy 8, M4 Beta, and when I finally get there, the M12 artillery. I have no huge need for the Lowe.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Ridiculous, greedy devs.

They could have done a couple of things:

1. Give KV-5 owners the option to sell the KV-5 for 7,500 gold to facilitate purchasing a Lowe (say for just 1 week).

2. After the week, reduce the price of the KV-5 to say 4,500 gold.

Increasng the price of the Lowe will have the effect of putting off any potential buyer of the Lowe.

€45 for a single tank, in a free to play game is shocking tbh. If anyone bothers buying one at that price they have more money than sense.
    I disagree Spear, for what it offers it is god send for the reduced grinding needed for credits to buy the new tanks (besides 30 EUR can simply be seen as buying a retail game ).

The reason for disparity is also very easy to explain, KV-5 is a tank with a small gun, Löwe is a sniper with a big gun. Since you get no exp/credits for taking damage the KV-5 by definition will fare worse (since team play in general public games is non existent) then a Löwe.

What about €10 per month on premium easily makes up the cost of a game, or indeed the cost of the gold to convert the Lowe's free XP? They are milking it tbh

If you started the game now, and bought a Lowe, you would have spent lets say €20 on 5500 gold (which ill be gone with Premium & free XP), €30 on Lowe, and if you wanted to convert all the Lowe's free XP for 1 month (if lets say t was your only tank) that's easily another €20.

€70 on a free to play game in 1 month gone. And you'll need to spend more once that Premium runs out, and you need to convert more free XP.

You'd easily be at €200 for a few months play...

the way im looking at it is, grind up to my is4 with is7 cannon (at least another month probably, have started grind to is4 now), get the bl10 for my isu-152(another few days), then maybe get the object 704. then once i have the above its bye bye premium, hello enjoyment of my tanks.

i should have the s51 and at least the t20 then.

no more spending money on the game for me :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What about €10 per month on premium easily makes up the cost of a game, or indeed the cost of the gold to convert the Lowe's free XP? They are milking it tbh
    99% of all MMO subscriptions is at 15 a month; 10 a month instead? Deal!

As for the free exp; I did not get a Löwe for free exp I got it for credits to reduce the time spent grinding to pay for new tanks (which at tier 7+ tend to run in millions each + module cost if you want to keep an older one) and to pay for playing higher level tanks as they tend to loss money on average.

Now if I want to get something specific (US arty with HE as example) I can spend additional money to get that quickly done but the free exp is a bonus resource you can tap if needed (any tank in elite status will if that is what you need), it is not why you get a Löwe how ever.

I'm also surprised people keep on thinking that F2P is F2P in practice; it never is and never will be if it is centrally hosted simply because someone, somewhere has to pay that hosting bill. That means F2P games simply have a different way to charge people for their time instead of mandatory monthly subscription to access the game. It can be with one time items (Löwe etc.) or temporary benefits (premium account). At least this F2P is relatively cheap compared to any other MMO out there and the benefits are not giving any huge advantage (beyond leveling faster).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

99% of all MMO subscriptions is at 15 a month; 10 a month instead? Deal!

As for the free exp; I did not get a Löwe for free exp I got it for credits to reduce the time spent grinding to pay for new tanks (which at tier 7+ tend to run in millions each + module cost if you want to keep an older one) and to pay for playing higher level tanks as they tend to loss money on average.

Now if I want to get something specific (US arty with HE as example) I can spend additional money to get that quickly done but the free exp is a bonus resource you can tap if needed (any tank in elite status will if that is what you need), it is not why you get a Löwe how ever.

True - but would you pay €45 for a single character? I know you're striving to justify and defend the Lowe - even with its great cash earning capabilities, I don't think it was worth 7,500gold.

In most mid-tier tanks, and SPG's, creds are easy to farm.

Hummel & GW Panther I regularly get 30-40k creds per round. Its ntothat far off a Lowe.

And for most players, its not the creds thats the major issue, its the XP required to level up. I'd much rather be using gold to convert free XP than waste more than 4 months worth of premium on a single tank.

So what do you do with the XP on the Lowe? Leave it there? Or do you convert it?

True - but would you pay €45 for a single character? I know you're striving to justify and defend the Lowe - even with its great cash earning capabilities, I don't think it was worth 7,500gold.

In most mid-tier tanks, and SPG's, creds are easy to farm.
    On my S-51 I was making around 30k a game, with the Löwe I earn around 60k so I spend less then half the time (SPGs usually are there to the end, in my Löwe I'll usually die halfway through) to make the same amount of credits. Is that time saved (that I can spend doing something else / grind another tank) worth 30 EUR to me? Heck yes, I've saved hours already which more then compensated for it as I don't find credit grinding fun in general (SPGs in general are either great fun or piss boring depending on the map and/or team you get and since you can't control either and Löwe always work on all maps with all teams...).
    And for most players, its not the creds thats the major issue, its the XP required to level up. I'd much rather be using gold to convert free XP than waste more than 4 months worth of premium on a single tank.

So what do you do with the XP on the Lowe? Leave it there? Or do you convert it?
    Leave it until I find something I want to get quickly. Currently I got around 28k free exp (mix of gold transfers and earned through other tanks as I was working on the US TD line) and 18k exp on the Löwe. Of that free exp 15k will go on the Obj. 202 to buy the tracks to put on the 203mm cannon on it, the remaining 9k is undecided at the moment (leaning towards my German tank line to buy the gun and tracks to avoid stock).

Now if lets say the French tank line came out and they had a smashing heavy that fit my style I'd throw some money on gold to convert exp to skip up to lets say rank 5 directly and start there instead. If how ever nothing comes up of interest the Löwe will sit there with exp until I need it. It is not like the exp on it expires after a time after all so if I need it the xp is there, if not well it still gives me the credits I want ;).

• Advertisement

the lowe gets about 60k on average, but its actually an awsome tank when played properly, i still love playing with it.

i use it for free xp and for credits and i must have transferred about 150k free xp by now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ridiculous, greedy devs.

They could have done a couple of things:

1. Give KV-5 owners the option to sell the KV-5 for 7,500 gold to facilitate purchasing a Lowe (say for just 1 week).

2. After the week, reduce the price of the KV-5 to say 4,500 gold.

Increasng the price of the Lowe will have the effect of putting off any potential buyer of the Lowe.

€45 for a single tank, in a free to play game is shocking tbh. If anyone bothers buying one at that price they have more money than sense.

I'm going to disagree with you. At its current price, Lowe is evidently undervalued. How many other premium tanks are you likely to see in such numbers in the game? Three Lowes per side is not unusual, you will very rarely, if ever, see the same for other well-regarded premium tanks such as 38H or Ram, even two of those in one game are rare, and then others like Churchill, T14 or T2 Light are even rarer. And personally, I like a little variety in my targets. Yes, people will stop buying Lowe in such numbers because of the significant price increase. Frankly, I think it's a good thing.

NTM

Advertisement