Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grapplepalooza Entry Now Open!

• 05-07-2011 3:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Hi all, you can now enter Grapplepalooza!

The form is up and ready to go at the website here: http://www.grapplepalooza.com/

Please remember that you will be disqualified if you miss your weight category, so be careful!

More information on the tournament, competitors in the Elite bracket etc. will be made available through the site in the coming weeks. For now though, get your entries in bright and early!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I think you just bought a couple of unnamed .com addresses in bulk at this stage Barry..

Registering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Has Karl Roache been approached to compete in the Elite event? Seeing that he won the munster bjj purple absolutes seems appropriate that he should be invited.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

There are still some slots to be filled alright and a lot of options are being looked at... by me of course.

Guys this won't be just a great elite event this will be an amazing grappling event in general. DCU is a massive place with great facilities for spectators, competitors and coaches. Let me let you in on some of the stuff I'll be doing in the run up to the event and on the day.

- Free attendance flyers. To generate interest in the competition, and the sport in general, I will be distributing free attendance passes for the daytime tournament around the local schools and colleges. I hope to drag people along who have had zero or limited exposure to BJJ and show them the sport and BJJ lifestyle.
    - Club Stands. In conjunction with the flyer drop, I'm offering every club a table and space to hang a club banner, hand out flyers, have literature available on the club and it's training. You can use it as a place to dump your bags or a space to promote your gym, it's up to you.
    - Radio and media. I have some plans for some radio and media coverage to promote the event which I'm hoping to put in place. I want as many non-Jiu Jitsu people in attendance as possible.

I'm open to suggestions on how we can all work together to make this a huge event not just for the competitors but as a spectator event too. We should all work together to try to bring as many people as possible into the sport. A strong, vibrant BJJ scene benefits all clubs and the sport in general. I hope you can help.

Barry

Hey all. After the Semi Finals of the Elite comp, the finalists will need a rest. So how about a SUPERFIGHT!

I'm open to suggestions so come on, who would you like to see! No restrictions on this one as it will be outside if the nationality remit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hey all. After the Semi Finals of the Elite comp, the finalists will need a rest. So how about a SUPERFIGHT!

I'm open to suggestions so come on, who would you like to see! No restrictions on this one as it will be outside if the nationality remit.

Karl Roche versus the entire novice class?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

- Free attendance flyers. To generate interest in the competition, and the sport in general, I will be distributing free attendance passes for the daytime tournament around the local schools and colleges. I hope to drag people along who have had zero or limited exposure to BJJ and show them the sport and BJJ lifestyle.
    - Club Stands. In conjunction with the flyer drop, I'm offering every club a table and space to hang a club banner, hand out flyers, have literature available on the club and it's training. You can use it as a place to dump your bags or a space to promote your gym, it's up to you.
    - Radio and media. I have some plans for some radio and media coverage to promote the event which I'm hoping to put in place. I want as many non-Jiu Jitsu people in attendance as possible.

I'm open to suggestions on how we can all work together to make this a huge event not just for the competitors but as a spectator event too. We should all work together to try to bring as many people as possible into the sport. A strong, vibrant BJJ scene benefits all clubs and the sport in general. I hope you can help.

Barry

Fair play, Barry. Really good ideas, hopefully there is a lot of spectators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

How about a ibjjf rules in the gi fight between some of the top irish guys in the gi, perhaps someone like paddy carmody, fergal quinlan or liam o'toole.

grappling match been paul mcweigh and leigh remeidos?

Is Piotr Stawski still in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

tony souza and john kavanagh

Nerijus and pitor stawski

loads of great match ups:)

mark curry would be great on the show, him against another similar sized dude. :)

ais the bash v rosi sexton!

Big fans of everyone mentioned, but i think a lot of those guys belong in the Advanced divisions or in the Elite comp itself. We have a lot of black belts now so let's think inside that box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

I wouldn't mind Seeing a GI fight between Roger Gracie and rodolfo viera. Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

John Kavanagh vs Tony Souza gi or no gi

John Kavanagh vs Cesar Morcego gi or no gi

Batman Vs Wolverine gi only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

That's a little unfair on Batman! Throw Spidey in there and we're rockin!

This is going to be an awesome day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bagels90

andy ryan v john kavanagh ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

barry.oglesby vs. Roper . A serious mindmelt!

Gunnar Nelson vs. Andy Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Try do something cool, instead of getting the guys here fighting get their teachers or related friends.

Matt Thornton, Drysdale, Rodrigo, affiliates ( i think ) like Gunnar Nelson, Abmar etc.

Just something that might be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Try do something cool, instead of getting the guys here fighting get their teachers or related friends.

Matt Thornton, Drysdale, Rodrigo, affiliates ( i think ) like Gunnar Nelson, Abmar etc.

Just something that might be cool.

gunnar and abmar would be sick

Plenty of food for thought there guys. Just re: international megastars, I'd like this to be a showcase for domestic talent, so I'd prefer if the superfighters were based in Ireland.

I think Gunnar and Abmar are on different paths really, one gi one nogi predominantly but it would still be awesome :). Abmar should be back training with us towards the year's end actually...hmmm. Nah just kidding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

lukeyjudo wrote: »
    John Kavanagh vs Tony Souza gi or no gi

John Kavanagh vs Cesar Morcego gi or no gi

i'd be up for either of those for the craic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

What about Teens Barry? I believe you mentioned in a post before that you're planning on having a Teens competition along with the other categories. Just wondering if this is still the case as I want to tell our Teens class, and start them training for it. Cheers.

• Advertisement

What about Teens Barry? I believe you mentioned in a post before that you're planning on having a Teens competition along with the other categories. Just wondering if this is still the case as I want to tell our Teens class, and start them training for it. Cheers.
    Teenage entry/division firm will be going up next week. We gave to gauge interest and potential applicants to decide how many divisions to put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

its already been said but john kavanagh v tony souza

p to the e wrote: »
    barry.oglesby vs. Roper . A serious mindmelt!
    I'd be up for that.

Barry is there any sort of white belt, beginner, under 54kilo division i could enter?

You know what im like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Chris89 wrote: »
    Barry is there any sort of white belt, beginner, under 54kilo division i could enter?

You know what im like.

Kids division, medal guaranteed :P

Killme00 wrote: »
    Kids division, medal guaranteed :P

Don't be so sure!!
    i'd be up for either of those for the craic

Either of these would be cool to watch, fair play john!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

You have to have a pizza/ burger stand there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bagels90

barry just unsure about 1 thing its 25e to compete but in event information it says its 20e for a spectator for the elite competition.. does this mean if you are competing that you have to pay for both?? just not sure thanks

Bagels90 wrote: »
    barry just unsure about 1 thing its 25e to compete but in event information it says its 20e for a spectator for the elite competition.. does this mean if you are competing that you have to pay for both?? just not sure thanks
    Hey,
    To make this work spectators will have to be charged. Otherwise the numbers wouldn't add up. The tournament during the day and the elite competition are separate entities. The doors of the tournament will close at 6pm, therell be an hour for people to go off and have showers/get food and for us to set up the venue for the evening spectacular and then the doors will reopen at 7pm for ticket holders.

I'm working on a method of discounting tickets for daytime entrants but I won't have news on this for a few weeks.

I've promoted mma shows and tournaments before and this is the most expensive venture I've been involved in by some considerable distance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

tony sousa vs john kavanagh
    cesar morcegao vs liam beechinor

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cill dara mma

Bagels90 wrote: »
    andy ryan v john kavanagh ha
    Makes sense to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I'd like to see Andy Ryan and Graham Keys battle it out

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

I'd like to see Andy Ryan and Graham Keys battle it out

+1 that would be awesome. No doubt two of Ireland's best grapplers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Any update on Teen entries Barry?

I'm going to have to knock the teen entry thing on the head I'm afraid. The timetable we've come up with just doesn't allow significant time for a teen category since we have to guarantee to finish on time to prepare the venue for the evening Elite tournament.

By the way, there are some jobs going for officials, referees etc. so please contact me for more info on that. I pay!

• Advertisement

Hey Barry,

Quick question re the qualifiers from the daytime event; how is this going to work? 4 winners of their respective weight divisions? Or as the evening event is an absolute, will there be an absolute in the morning aswell and the top 4 move on?

Also, any word on the last few invites? Cant wait to see this.

Cheers

Hey barry,

re. your post in the new thread; have you decided on a format for the advance division yet? If two people get through from each division then im assuming there wont be a final in the daytime event?

Also what will the weights be for light and heavy?

Cheers

There will still be a final in the advanced division. This is a standalone division in the tournament. The qualifiers will be kept apart in the draw. In addition there's a chance that the advanced winner or runner up may not qualify through nationality or residency.

I know it seems complex, and it is slightly more complex than a standard tournament, but not rocket surgery.

Thanks Barry. What about the weights or has that been decided yet??

Cant wait for this, the elite event will be great to watch too!

To make the advanced division as fair as I possibly can, I'm going to wait until all entries are received at the closing date. The reason for this is to ensure that we don't have a small division and a large division. I envision a cut off of somewhere between 75kgs and 80kgs as historically this has been the case. I will announce the cut off and the brackets for those divisions once entry is closed. This is the fairest method of ensuring that all qualifiers get equal mat time in the morning and are equally deserving of a place.

• Advertisement

Cool, I ask because im trying to register but there is only options for the regular weight divisions. whatever the cut off is, be it 80 or 75, I'll make the lightweight divsion, what would you prefer i put on the entry form??

You can change your weight right up to the cut off date, at which time I'll have a better idea of the cut off point. I can't see it being lighter than 75 or heavier than 80.

Hey all,

If everybody could share this link http://www.grapplepalooza.com/Enter_Grapplepalooza.html
    on their facebook, twitters, other forums etc. it would help a lot. Encouraging your friends and team mates to enter early would also help me a great deal with organisation.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

What are the rules in relation to heel hooks and ankle locks for novice division?
    Are there only restrictions on this in gi events?

No IBJJF rules apply to both gi and nogi tournaments. See IBJJF.org for the rules.

sorry if i'm being a bit simple here!

the restrictions section starts from blue to purple with no mention of white belts so obviously these all apply to white belts but are there any more specific to white belts?

"FROM ADULT THROUGH SENIOR (BLUE & PURPLE BELT)
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MATA LEO WITH FOOT[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SLAM FROM THE GUARD[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LEG LOCKS[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CERVICAL(only without chokes)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BICEPS LOCK[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CALF LOCK[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SCISSORS TAKEDOWN[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HEEL HOOK"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]does this mean that even purple belts cannot do ankle locks and heel hooks?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]do knee bars come under the definition of leg lock? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]sorry again if these questions are very basic, just a beginner here. [/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

bjjtechs.jpg

thanks a mil enjoy choke

Hi everyone. Apparently there's some technical issues with registering online but only for some people. If you're having an issue with the online payment system please mail or pm me so I can give more detail to my hosting company. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

what rules will apply to the day time advanced competition? if its ibjjf nogi rules, what belt will it be?

• Advertisement
Advertisement