Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grapplepalooza Entry Now Open!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Here we go.

These divisions start at 10.30am. These are the Heavies. There will be 2 qualifiers who will get the opportunity to compete later in the evening.

Jake Hecht is out with flu so Hammil gets a bye to the 2nd round along with Davern and Corcoran.
    Can i count that as a win? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

Only if you gave him the flu :-)

Quote=pablohoney87;75055769]
    Here we go.

These divisions start at 10.30am. These are the Heavies. There will be 2 qualifiers who will get the opportunity to compete later in the evening.

Jake Hecht is out with flu so Hammil gets a bye to the 2nd round along with Davern and Corcoran.
    Can i count that as a win? :p[/Quote]

Never underestimate the capabilities of a chemical engineer ;)
    the nerds will rule the earth once again:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Can i count that as a win? :p

I think that's called "doing a Rickson"

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arte suave

What time is the under 80kg advanced division starting? Is it 10:30 also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

were there any last minute entries since the last list of competitors?

will you be posting the start times of all divisions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kevinnelis

Barry if you see this can you cheak out your private message inbox and get back to me, thanks mate

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

BJJ.ie has profiled the 12 men waiting to compete for the €1,000 prize money and the glory of being 'Ireland's Top Grappler' - check it out.
    http://www.bjj.ie/2011/10/21/grapplepalooza-the-elite-competitors-2/

Times of divisions. Please make arrangements to arrive at the venue at least 45 minutes before start times.

YES there will be tickets for sale for the evening event on the day priced €20. a batch of 10 tickets costs €190. Batch of 20 costs €380.

Thanks for registering on time and (relatively) hassle free everyone!

Experience weight Time
    White belt OR -1yrs training Light -73.5kgs 11.15 ring 1

White belt OR -1yrs training Feather -67.5kgs 11.15 ring 2

Blue belt OR 1-3yrs training Light -73.5kgs 11am ring 3

Blue belt OR 1-3yrs training Middle -79.5kgs 12.30 ring 1

White belt OR -1yrs training Middle -79.5kgs 12.30 Ring 2

White belt OR -1yrs training Medium Heavy -85.5kgs 12.20pm Ring 3

White belt OR -1yrs training Heavy -91.5kgs 1.20pm Ring 1

Blue belt OR 1-3yrs training Light Feather -61.5kgs 1.20pm Ring 2

White belt OR -1yrs training Light Feather -61.5kgs 1.15pm Ring 3

Blue belt OR 1-3yrs training Feather -67.5kgs 12.50pm Ring 3

Blue belt OR 1-3yrs training Heavy -91.5kgs 1.30pm Ring 2

White belt OR -1yrs training Ultra Heavy +97.5kgs 1pm Ring 1

Blue belt OR 1-3yrs training Ultra Heavy +97.5kgs 12.pm Ring 3

Blue belt OR 1-3yrs training Super Heavy -97.5kgs 12.15 Ring 2

Blue belt OR 1-3yrs training Medium Heavy -85.5kgs 12.15 Ring 1

White Belt (novice) Absolute Register 1pm-First match 2 pm

Blue Belt (intermediate) Register 1pm-First match 2pm

no link?

• Advertisement

Who are you speaking to?

FINAL COMPETITOR LIST!

If you're not on this guys you're not in the tournament. All of the unpaids have been removed here giving us a final total of 108 competitors :D

See you guys tomorrow morning!

i was speaking to you as there was no link in your original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 shanesmith

free to enter intermediate absolute?

Included in the €25 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

quick congrats to barry on one of best run comps i've been at, looking forward to next one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

quick congrats to barry on one of best run comps i've been at, looking forward to next one :)

+1 excellent day the best Irish comp I have ever been too. Well done to all involved!:D I had to rush home so if anyone is tweeting results from tonight's event and would post up the link it would be much appreciated.

yup gotta say best run competition ive been to ever. competitors dq's for not makin weight/ bein on the mat on time.
    and the elite division=awsome. vids to follow :D
    thank you Barry Ogelsby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Yeah Barry it was an awesome day, had so much fun!:)

I hope grapplepalooza becomes an annual event!:)

Thanks a million for putting on this! so good for Irish BJJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Very well run event Barry, keep em coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

Savage comp, extremely well run! Any results from the White and Blue belt absolute divisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

slammer187 wrote: »
    Savage comp, extremely well run! Any results from the White and Blue belt absolute divisions?
    Chris Fields won the blue abolute i think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Niall0 wrote: »
    Chris Fields won the blue abolute i think

Yup, beat Andy Brady by scoring points with about 15 seconds left on the clock!!

Big, no MASSIVE congrats to Barry on the comp. Very proud to be a member of his gym and associated with it. Hopefully it becomes annual... How cool would it be to get people in from all over Europe for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

who's this barry oglesby chap is that roper?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

He was yea, I only saw one of his matches but he puts on a great show...some very nice wrestling and Jiu Jitsu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 arte suave

Great Comp Barry. I hope you put on another one next year. The whole day ran smoothly and it's a credit to everyone involved that it did. If you do another comp of any sort the Fight Sports team will be there. We couldn't stay up for the evening event unfortunately but the early event was well worth the trip up. Thank you. John

Firstly, thanks for all the kind words. Grapplepalooza was made possible by the financial, technical, logistical and sometimes moral support of the following people.

Tatami Fightwear sponsored the event and assisted in funding the Elite prize money. The boys at Tatami are quite literally the closest thing to a homegrown Jiu Jitsu brand we have (they're Welsh see?) and they are committed to the growth of the sport, love the game and once their support was agreed and settled I was able to proceed with the Elite tournament. Without them coming on board so early and having faith in the process this event wouldn't have happened. They deserve your support. Buy Celtic!

My right hand man in event organisation is Colin English. The reason your divisions started on time, that check in took 2 minutes per division and that you weren't waiting around all day was because of his technical expertise. Colin designed and wrote a new tournament entry/check in programme for yesterday. It worked perfectly with one or two minor glitches (one is that it doesn't like Ciaran McIlvenney. He must work for Apple) it worked a charm. next time you're at a tournament you should say thank you instead of asking him "do you know when my division is starting?" (the most asked question).

My referees for the day were Andy Ryan of BJJ Revolution, Mark Curry off bjj.ie, Paul Fox who runs his own classes in Dunboyne, Shane Fitzgibbon, and Ruairí O'Bric of Pedro Bessa Cork. Ruairí drove the length of the country to referee and I didn't even get to buy him lunch. The only thing I forgot to buy on the day was sandwiches for my officials! Thanks to you all for your professionalism and patience.

My officials at the tables were Andy, Tom, Teresa, Amanda, Stephen, Finlandia, Motormouth, and Neil. They ran the divisions, not me. I just handed them stuff and expected them to get on with it! They did a great job. I also had support from Hanley, Shafty in the running for coffee/pizza/monitors/scales department, and Shafty spent the enitre night before laying mats, setting tables and getting shouted at by me. At times like this I'm so glad the adoption papers went through.

Once again, Whitehall Colmcille GAA club came through for me after difficulties with the original venue. The staff there are excellent and are starting to love combat sports. They bend over backwards to accommodate me even though I was a terrible footballer! The venue is old style but it's a perfect size for the event.

To the clubs who came out and supported the event, the 109 competitors who pre-paid and entered on time and without (much) hassle, and the coaches and fans who supported them, thank you for your support.

The Elite tournament deserves a thread of it's own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Did anyone see the guy in the purple fight after this ?

Gets DQ'd for striking here, acting the d*ck in the stand up early in the fight. In the second fight he was gripping shorts all of the crowd were shouting it because he kept doing it. At times he would look over to I assume his girlfriend and start smiling and posing during the match.

My only complaint of an otherwise excellent day. Took Silver in my division but lost in the final to a fantastic flying armbar.

edit - just found out he is a member of the killer factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Is that the polish chap that trained in Seeka for a bit?

Is that the polish chap that trained in Seeka for a bit?
    Yes that's the guy.

Personally I wouldn't be acting that way if I had been training 6-8 years and was still in an intermediate section getting beaten by guys training 1-3 years, but hey, I wouldn't be acting that way generally...

• Advertisement

please find attached the official results for Grapplepalooza.

If you see any errors in the spelling of your name or club etc. please get in touch and I'll alter them accordingly.

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

It was a great day Barry got quite a few fights against some tough competitors. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the organisation was first class. The computer must have took some kind of grudge against me and I missed out on my original weight category but if that was one of the only problems encountered then it was a fantastic achievement! Thanks and hope there will be another one soon:). Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 24 toaldingham

Thanks to Barry for putting this event on. First round videos are here: http://www.bjj.ie/2011/10/24/grapplepalooza-first-round-matches/

Ciaran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Great tournament, really enjoyed the evening event too.

Your man from killer factory ended up having another fight after he punched his opponent in the face when in a triangle, thought that was a bit strange!

People were saying he runs his own club???

He's the head of Killer Factory...

I think the rules technically only put him out of the match. He was in a 3 man division, and all 3 man divisions run like:
    Player A fights player B. Winner A advances to the final.
    Loser B fights C for the right to get to the final.

Now I'm going to have to check with the other qualified referees on this and come back with a ruling for my next tournament. For me, a strike should be a complete disqualification from a tournament, but that may not be the case in the rules. Other fouls such as illegal submissions or dangerous play like spiking only get you DQed from the current match for example.

I'll come back on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

There a 2 catagory of offenses covered in the rules.. Serious and not so serious.

Serious offenses reslut in a complete disqualification form the remainder of the division/tournament.

Non serious offenses will result in a disqualification from the match and division.. but the competitor may be allowed to compete in an Absolute or Team event.

A strike to escape a submission attempt, is definately an offense on the serious scale.

From the IBJJF website..

2)-DISQUALIFICATION

SERIOUS FOULS:

1)SERIOUS FOULS ARE THOSE THAT LEAD TO IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION BY THE REFEREE.

A-) the use of foul language, cursing, or other immoral acts of disrespect towards the referee or any of the assisting public.

B-) biting, hair pulling, putting fingers into the eyes or nose of one’s opponent, intentionally seeking to injure genitalia or the use of fists, of feet, knees, elbows, or heads with the intention to hurt or gain unfair advantage.

C-) when the fighter has his kimono ripped during the fight, the referee will give him a set time to change it. If the fighter does not change it in time he will be disqualified.

D-) The fighter must wear shorts under the pants, keeping in mind the risk that the suit might get torn or unsowed, If this occurs, the athlete will be given a set time determined by the referee to find another pair of pants to wear. If the athlete can not change within the set time, he will be immediately disqualified.

E-) When an athlete has been submitted to a lock and to avoid tapping out he runs out of the ring, he will be immediately disqualified. In such cases when it is considered a technical foul, not a disciplinary foul, the offender may return to the competition to fight the absolute division or in case of a bracket of three.

F-) When the athlete breaks any rule of the article

FOULS NOT AS SERIOUS:

PENALTIES:

- On the first offence the offender will be given a verbal warning.

- On the second offence the offender’s opponent will be given an advantage.

- On the third offence the offender’s opponent will be given two points.

- After the third offence the referee may disqualify the athlete for any further fouls.

A-) The athlete will only be allowed to kneel after having taken hold of his opponents kimono.

B-) When either of the athletes run to one of the extremities of the ring to avoid combat, or while ground fighting flee by crawling or rolling out of the ring or by standing up avoiding engaging or purposely stepping out of the ring to gain time.

C-) When the athlete avoids engaging by taking off his kimono or by allowing it to be taken off with the intention of stopping the fight to allow himself rest or to avoid the attacks of his opponent.

D-) When the athlete inserts his fingers inside the sleeves or pants, or with both his hands on his opponent’s belt.

E-) When the athlete stalls the fight, holding his adversary and, not seeking to engage or gain submissions when in the guard, on top, or on the bottom.

Holding the opponent, standing up, or any position designed to stall. Noticing this the referee will request that 20 seconds be marked and say “LUTE”, making the gesture. At the end of the 20 seconds if the athlete hasn’t changed his position or shown visible signs of engagement, the referee say again “LUTE” and make the same gesture, penalising the atlhete and giving an advantage for the other, if he continues stalling the referee will stop the fight saying “PAROU”, and he will penalise the same, giving 2 points for the other, and both athletes will return to their feet at neutral positions. With the possibility of disqualification on the next offence

F-) NOTE: A penalty with immediate loss of 2 points occurs when an athlete runs from the ring in order to avoid a sweep that the referee considers would be completed, or when the athlete flees the ring in order to avoid a lock that has not yet been completed and not engaging in the article "E" for disqualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

He named his gym Killer Factory?

double-facepalm1.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=283698021652654&set=a.283697968319326.67086.174314105924380&type=1&theater

Loads of photos from Tomasz the photographer here. have look, maybe you're in them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

Barry, do you have the results of the white belt absolutes?
    It wasn't in results list you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimb0_d

From memory it was:

1. Lazslo Borcsok - Primal
    2. ??
    3. James Donaldson - QUB BJJ (me)

I can't recall the name of the chap who came 2nd

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

jimb0_d wrote: »
    From memory it was:

1. Lazslo Borcsok - Primal