Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proceedure if you think you are having problems TTC

Options
  • 05-07-2011 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Ok, here’s the deal. My fiancé and I have been blatantly ignoring all precautions for the past year thinking we would conceive. I have been genuinely shocked that we have not yet. I am beginning to suspect that we might have difficulty TTC. Thing is, I am a 100% bona-fide prude so the idea of going to have all the tests done gives me the hebejebes.
    Also, I don’t really know how to go about it. Do you need to get a referral from a G.P? I haven’t been to a G.P. in years so will need to find one locally. Also, what will they be doing exactly? This has been on my mind since January. In April, I made an appoint with a well woman clinic but then chickened out....Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi, firstly its mostly bloods tests you will be happy to hear. Our bloods give them more hormonal information than looking up your hooha ever could :D

Thats what it begins with in your GP. You normally need to go in from days 3 to 7 of your cycle, for blood draw, then on day 21 (in a typical cycle) but anytime after ovulation and before your next period. You can get a referral from then to a clinic. Your partner will also need his bloods done, and a semen analysis, but the first step is your gp.

You quickly get used to the occasional vaginal exam - they drape you and if you are getting the transvaginal ultrasound they darken the room so they can see the monitor better. In my year of doctors I have had the following 'intimate' exams:
    HSG Xray, Smear test, and a transvaginal and a breast check, yet I have lost count of the amount of blood tests I have had (I have a hormone imbalance) Now that I am on clomid I have to have the transvaginal each cycle but its by far easier and discreet than some exams. They dont even look down there, they guide it in by monitor and checking with you so dont worry about that. My partner was sitting beside me the whole time and didnt realise it was happening until the doc pointed out my ovary to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Emma, do you mind me asking if you have tried ovulation prediction tests to see if you're trying on the most fertile dates?

Its such a short window of time when you're actually fertile and able to get pregnant. Even with trying for a year, its absolutely possible to miss the fertile period.
    Say for example if you 'try' usually at the weekend and your fertile days may have been falling midweek.

Its something your GP will discuss with you in further detail I'm sure.

I hope your TTC journey is a short one and you'll get your positive result very soon :)

Advertisement