Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holiday without our little one

• 05-07-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Quick backround. Me and my OH are getting married in September and have booked our honeymoon of 10 days leaving late the next day. Our daughter will be 14 months by then and will stay here in our home in the care and entertainment of both her grandmothers, my sister and various cousins all of whom she is mad about, particularly her grandmothers.

She is very relaxed and calm child and we are in absolutely no doubt that she will be looked after impeccably but as it comes closer we are getting all sorts of doubts.

Is ten days too long? Will she think we've gone forever? Will she forget who we are? Will she be upset? Are we arseholes for not bringing her with us? Will we even enjoy ourselves wondering how she is?

Has anyone done this? How did it go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Look dont feel guilty, everyone does what they feel is right.

When we got married i had a 22 month old a 3 year old and a 8 year old. we took all 3 on holidays with us, we originaly booked Barbados but got a phone call an hour later saying that they won't except a baby and that we had to upgrade the room at a cost of 3K we were already paying 7k for the 10 day holiday and said no way the free baby was going to cost an extra 3k, so we decided to go to Disneyland Florida for 2 weeks.

Are line of thinking was that they deserve a holiday too they are after all a part of the family (we hadn't gone on a sun holiday in years and my husband was in remission from cancer).

If your happy leaving the little one behind do, its got nothing to do with anyone else, people were surprised we took our kids with us (however we did have 2 nights away from them when went to inchydoney and had a spa weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

She won't forget who ye are, it's not too long, you're not at all arseholes for not bringing her! Whether or not you'll enjoy the break without her is a different thing though, and you won't be able to predict that until you go. Personally, I think it's your honeymoon, it should just be the two of you. It's probably the only time you will ever feel that there is any justification for leaving your kid behind and that you know for certain that no one on earth could think badly of you for doing so. Any other holiday, fair enough, you are a family after all, but it's your honeymoon! Ten days of lying in bed without being screeched at, ten days waking up lazily and staying in bed all day if you want, of having sex whenever and as loudly as you want, of sun and cocktails and no worrying if she has enough sun lotion on or if the water is okay for her to drink or if she's eaten enough or who's turn it is to have a drink. Go! Swallow the guilt and the inevitable tears for ten days and enjoy yourselves, you may never have a chance like it again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We've been away a good few times and apparently we are not pined for at all. He's happy out with our families.

That is until we get home. He suddenly realises that we were gone somewhere. Without him! He's annoyed for about a day then he's back to normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Cheers, thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure it will all be grand, just normal parent jitters and guilt is all. Like i said we have no qualms about the care and company she'll have while we are gone, she's mad about them and they are mad about her.

and as catmelodeon pointed out, it's a honeymoon and all that a honeymoon is supposed to be and wouldn't be if we had her along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

McTigs wrote: »
    Quick backround. Me and my OH are getting married in September and have booked our honeymoon of 10 days leaving late the next day. Our daughter will be 14 months by then and will stay here in our home in the care and entertainment of both her grandmothers, my sister and various cousins all of whom she is mad about, particularly her grandmothers.

She is very relaxed and calm child and we are in absolutely no doubt that she will be looked after impeccably but as it comes closer we are getting all sorts of doubts.

Is ten days too long? - No. Will she think we've gone forever? No Will she forget who we are? No Will she be upset? Not if she's with people she loves Are we arseholes for not bringing her with us? Not at all, I'm sure ye deserve some time to yourselves. Will we even enjoy ourselves wondering how she is? That's up to ye - but ye should try to.

Has anyone done this? yep, 8 days with a 8month old with grandparents How did it go? Absolutly fine

Answers above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can you organise to Video Skype from where you are?

Might be a bit of fun for everyone to check in a few times and have your daughter see and hear you?

I was away for a week last month and Daddy said goodnight over the laptop every night when my pair were jumping up and down waving in their cots. :)

Dades wrote: »

Might be a bit of fun for everyone to check in a few times and have your daughter see and hear you?

I was away for a week last month and Daddy said goodnight over the laptop every night when my pair were jumping up and down waving in their cots. :)

I did that when my dad died i had to go to England and left the kids for 4 days with their dad, but the first time we did it, my 2 aged 2 and a half and 4 screamed the place down, MOMMY COME BACK TO US, MOMMY COME BACK TO US. They were really crying and heart broken, my youngest was trying to get me out of the monitor. In the end i had to log off, i was upset as my dad had died and the kids missing me like mad made me feel even worse.

Your not going to enjoy the holiday if you see your 15 month old screaming for you over the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Dades wrote: »

Yup we thought about this but then thought that maybe out of sight out of mind would be best. The less she thinks about us the better.

Maybe one way skype though, us see her but not her see us, can that be done?

Yes, dont tell the other side not to answer with video call. Practice a few time before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

hi mctigs.i find your thread interesting as we too are getting married next year and our son is 6 months at the moment and will be about same age as your little one when were getting married. thing is im already dreading the honeymoon cos we will be leaving him behind, i do agree that it will prob be the only chance we get to go away alone and that we should make most of it, but we can t help feeling bad about it too..
    will be interested to hear how your honeymoon went with your little one and did you get to enjoy yourself>?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

My parents got married when I was 13 months, & went on honeymoon to Kusadasi, leaving me at home for both the wedding & the honeymoon, I was fine staying at home with my Nanny & lots of aunts visiting me! When I was around 9, they brought me on holiday, leaving my 17 month old sister at home, and a few years later, the four of us went on holiday, leaving a 3 year old & 1 year old at home! Children really don't think about these things, so just relax & have fun :)

Advertisement