Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endless Saga

Options
  • 05-07-2011 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

About to call Quits on Ericom but i thought i speak to you guys first to see what you say first!

Long story short my BB keeps dropping connection, only for a few seconds then comes back up again, its extremly frustrating! I'm only on 1mb, the speed don't bother me TBH but the relability does, I upload a lot of photos and if the BB drops when in the middle of an upload I have to start all over again :mad:

I have had this problem since day 1 with eircom, almost 2 years ago an Engineer gets sent out says its fixed then 2 weeks later same thing again! One department blames the other ect too (as in BB support say oh its a line problem phone customer care and vise versa) another thing why do you have 1,000,000 (ott i know) numbers for each different dept, why not 1 number for everything like most other companies!

Anyways Last straw was up till last week i had an engineer out 3.5 days it took him and said it was fixed but within 6 hrs same thing BB dropping, phoned customer care explained the constant same problem they said nothing can be done as there is no case open, and they cannot investigate further (to get to the bottom of the problem) untill an engineer has been out for more than 4 days and not fixed the problem, only then can they escelate the case! I have never had an engineer out for more than that time, i explained that to the agent who basiclly washed her hands and repeated the same thing over and over and over so i gave up....

What say you, is it a case of Eircom say we don't know and don't care or we know but won't bother fixing it?

Regards,
    H_S.

P.S. I can send you on account details via PM if you wish, tell me what ya need and i will send them on. Also FYI the OH was talking to Vodaphone this morn and they said they can send an Engineer of there own and test the line if we want to go with them, but i said hold off for a day or 2 till i see what ye say here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hey guys,

About to call Quits on Ericom but i thought i speak to you guys first to see what you say first!

Long story short my BB keeps dropping connection, only for a few seconds then comes back up again, its extremly frustrating! I'm only on 1mb, the speed don't bother me TBH but the relability does, I upload a lot of photos and if the BB drops when in the middle of an upload I have to start all over again :mad:

I have had this problem since day 1 with eircom, almost 2 years ago an Engineer gets sent out says its fixed then 2 weeks later same thing again! One department blames the other ect too (as in BB support say oh its a line problem phone customer care and vise versa) another thing why do you have 1,000,000 (ott i know) numbers for each different dept, why not 1 number for everything like most other companies!

Anyways Last straw was up till last week i had an engineer out 3.5 days it took him and said it was fixed but within 6 hrs same thing BB dropping, phoned customer care explained the constant same problem they said nothing can be done as there is no case open, and they cannot investigate further (to get to the bottom of the problem) untill an engineer has been out for more than 4 days and not fixed the problem, only then can they escelate the case! I have never had an engineer out for more than that time, i explained that to the agent who basiclly washed her hands and repeated the same thing over and over and over so i gave up....

What say you, is it a case of Eircom say we don't know and don't care or we know but won't bother fixing it?

Regards,
    H_S.

P.S. I can send you on account details via PM if you wish, tell me what ya need and i will send them on. Also FYI the OH was talking to Vodaphone this morn and they said they can send an Engineer of there own and test the line if we want to go with them, but i said hold off for a day or 2 till i see what ye say here.

Hi homer_simpson,

Thanks for contacting eircom on Boards.ie

From what you say, if you're broadband connection is limited to 1Mb, it sounds like you're in an amber region (or extended reach). It may be difficult, and often declined by others, to provide you with even limited broadband.

To be fair, eircom will always try our best.

My best advice to every extended reach customer is to try your best to test your broadband connection directly on your master phone socket (mdp). Some people think their mdp is in the study, or upstairs in a bedroom office, etc. In most cases the mdp will be at the front door of the premises. So if someone has a PC, it might be difficult to believe that they are sat behind their front door connecting to the Internet with a standard ethernet cable connected to a desktop PC.

TEMPORARILY DISCONECT EVERYTHING FROM YOUR INTERNAL PHONELINE SYSTEM (Sky Box(s) upstairs, long private phone extension leads, faxs. Even temporarily remove the adsl splitter.

If unsure how to do this, take a look at the following Broadband Check - Once this is completed, Technical Support can define "where???" the problem lies - http://bit.ly/eircomBroadband

If you can't be bothered doing the checks /or if you feel you've done this all before, then it may be impossible to go any further at this point- and I would refer you immediately to Technical Support.

Please do atleast try your best to complete the broadband Check - carefully. It's a proven process!

If you PM your home phone number I can also take a look at your case history with eircom engineers and Technical Support.

Kind regards,

Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

The only thing connected to my main phoneline is my router, nothing else other than a £5 landline phone in the hall that is never really used. The router is plugged direct into the main socket, no splitters or anything direct line in, the Latest speed test on speedtest.net after disconnecting the phone....

1372233602.png

The thing that has me miffed with all of this is why it works perfect for a while (sometimes for a good few weeks after engineer visit) then starts dropping again for no apparent reason.

Thanks for looking.

Edit: just to add, yeah i was told i'm an amber line, and Engineer suggested that it may be due to that, distance, but he didn't think so. some manger disagreed with the Engineer (again trying to wash his hands of it IMO and said im too far from the exchange) a while ago, but each differnt person / engineer i speak to tells a different story....

Bottom line is I am paying for BB and not getting the service I pay for, although they do give you 3 days refund for the BB downtime even though its pretty much always like this (50% of the time) :rolleyes: I expect eircom to try their best but it seems they don't want to try any more despite the fact i'm still paying them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paddys pal

Hi Homer,
    You are not the only one with this problem, I can't take it any more and have decided to move on.
    What once was a fantastic Irish company has sadly been distroyed from within, and I not speeking of the engineers that I've got to know very, very, very well over the past eight months. I believe it's those getting away with advertising "Up to 8Mb uncongested broadband", and deliver the speeds you have shown (which are even faster than mine) and connections that keep dropping. Those who then get bonuses at the end of the year for , it just maddens me to keep paying for notting.:confused:
    So I've decided to make the big exchange and already I feel free, the only worry now is which VoIP provider to go with. By the end of the week I will have propper broadband (satilite) to go looking for one, only 3mb but it's spaceage technology in comparison with those fine people at the ends of the phones in eircom.
    Good luck, you will need lots of it dealing with eircom.:

1373486991.pnghttp:
    this is with a new laptop running only factory installed products along with McAfee
    all for the price of an 8mb bundle and six months of high blood presure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

The only thing connected to my main phoneline is my router, nothing else other than a £5 landline phone in the hall that is never really used. The router is plugged direct into the main socket, no splitters or anything direct line in, the Latest speed test on speedtest.net after disconnecting the phone....

1372233602.png

The thing that has me miffed with all of this is why it works perfect for a while (sometimes for a good few weeks after engineer visit) then starts dropping again for no apparent reason.

Thanks for looking.

Edit: just to add, yeah i was told i'm an amber line, and Engineer suggested that it may be due to that, distance, but he didn't think so. some manger disagreed with the Engineer (again trying to wash his hands of it IMO and said im too far from the exchange) a while ago, but each differnt person / engineer i speak to tells a different story....

Bottom line is I am paying for BB and not getting the service I pay for, although they do give you 3 days refund for the BB downtime even though its pretty much always like this (50% of the time) :rolleyes: I expect eircom to try their best but it seems they don't want to try any more despite the fact i'm still paying them!

Hi, thanks for getting back.

The broadband speed results you've shown are away above average for a 1Mb connection. It's almost a 1 to 1 connection. The average speed should be about 0.72Mb and you're getting a faster download speed of 0.87Mb.

If this is the case, then it may not be a broadband issue. Instead you may be experiening slow browser or software problems. You should also check third party software applications are not slowing down your PC, for example : anti-virus or firewall(s), etc.

If you're noticing intermittent slow connections, then you may well be experiencing software interruptions, or your PC may be affected by applications running in the background on your computer. Some programmes like Skype and other applications, will demand more bandwidth and also slow down your broadband connection and computer considerably.

If it's a fault with your software, then you may need to check this with the vendor or manufacturer.
    I'd certainly update a good anti-spyware programme and run it a couple of times on your PC(s). I find 'adaware' is quite good anti-spyware application. It's free aswell and generally will find spyware after a couple of runs. Dump temp files and general maintenance is recommended on a regular basis.

From your broadband download speed results, I don't see any problem with your broadband connection. Considering your broadband is limited to 1Mb due to geographical location, your broadband speed is above average speeds.

Note that adsl is rate adaptive or distant dependent technology. Even upgrading your local exchange to NGB, won't change the distance from the local exchange to your premises.

If you need further information on your broadband connection, please call into eircom Technical Support -

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, in case you need to follow up on this.

Please let me know if I can assist further.

Kind regards,

Ant

Thanks and all that Guys but in the end you just told me to contact Support again which i did do and after numerous discussions of being told nothing we can do about connection and the line dropping every roughly 6 hours, and after the advise given on here that I should be happy with what i have as its very good and was even told its surprising the speed im getting I have moved to vodafone!!!

Now remember all of the above i was told here is a speedtest done 2 minutes ago:

1392478501.png

So basiclly I was told a pack of lies! Connection has been fine thus far hasn't dropped once, just goes to show ya Don't beleive everything the engineers / support tell ya....

What say you now eircom Reps??????? exact same set up as before, same laptop same everything! They even adjusted the settings for the router I was using with you guys untill my get the time to set up my new router (which only came an hour ago, after everything had switched to voda). Honestly what defense can ye guys have against this, i have been a loyal costumer and basically got fobbed off in the end!

• Advertisement

Bump

Still no word form the Eircom rep's? As a customer for a good length of time and having crap service, and allowing you guys every oppertunity to fix the problem to be told No more eircom can do and speeds as as high as i can get, how come vodafone are able to offer me faster BB speeds using the exact same set up? And connection has been perfect!

P.S. I will continue to bump because i want to know why i wasn't getting the service i was paying for even though it seems i could clearly receive that service!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Bump

Still no word form the Eircom rep's? As a customer for a good length of time and having crap service, and allowing you guys every oppertunity to fix the problem to be told No more eircom can do and speeds as as high as i can get, how come vodafone are able to offer me faster BB speeds using the exact same set up? And connection has been perfect!

P.S. I will continue to bump because i want to know why i wasn't getting the service i was paying for even though it seems i could clearly receive that service!!!

Hi homer-simpsons apologies for delay we only come on Boards.ie at 11:00 in morning until 16:00 in afternoon, so just picked this up this morning. We have escalated this to the tech support team for an explaination and will update you as soon as we can, hopefully today or tomorrow. It does seem odd.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Bump

Hi
    When you were with us you were on a 1mb package, in which case 0.8mbs would be the max download speed you would expect to get. If you are now getting 1.7mbps this suggests vodafone have set you on a 2mb package or higher. Unfortunately as our sync test showed that no more than 1Mb could be guaranteed we could not provide a higher package on your line.
    Looking at the call logs we received these appear to have been related to an intermittent connection issue as opposed to a speed issue, which tech support had believed had been resolved since the 30 June.
    I really cannot explain why you now appear to be free of connection drops on the same line. I do not have access to your broadband connection as is with other provider, however can see line tests exactly the same as before.
    This obviously does not exactly answer your question, however I can assure you that the notes I have seen do show that technicians involved did everything they could you reduce drops, but could not provide a faster speed on your package at that time.
    Tony

Advertisement