Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transmitter for T-Rex 500

Options
  • 05-07-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I just got my hands on a T-Rex 500 and am in the market for a tx and rx for it.Dont want to break the bank as i will probably need the money for spare parts:D.Any recomendations for one?Or any you guys selling one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A spektrum dx6i would be ideal for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Thanks Robbie.Any suggestions on where to buy?

Here is one site anyway, its the second radio set there on that page, i got one for son for xmas for flying his glider, just the transmitter i got, so got it from another site, but got plenty of gear from this site also.

I have the DX7 which is forst in the list there, but the DX6i will fly the heli`s no problem, and would of got one myself except the full range DX7 was out before the full range DX6i.

Thanks again Robbie.I will have a look around to see whats the best value i can get.Any advice for a beginner with one of these babies

Redriddick wrote: »
    Thanks again Robbie.I will have a look around to see whats the best value i can get.Any advice for a beginner with one of these babies

Yes get assistance with it, have you flown before? Where are you living?

• Advertisement

No have not flown a heli before but have flown a plane.Im in the west of ireland.Always wanted one of these so bit the bullet.Have yet to assemble it but will be starting soon.Really looking forward to it.Just got the heli at the mo so need to get the rest of the gear.

I was flying planes about 19 years too when i decided to try the heli`s. So i got on a flight sim and learned them that way. That was 3 or 4 years ago.

The setting up of pitch and throttle curves with the CCPM can seem complex enough. I read up a bit on it and it all suddenly clicked after a few days.

But someone experienced would make it easier.

You will need 3 servos for the CCPM setup as well, and a tail servo and gyro.

A properly setup trex 500 flies great, i have a 450 and 600 myself. have flown the 500 too.

Cool.The kit is the 500e super combo so have motor and servos,just got to get the tx/rx battery,charger and the likes.Been doing alot of reading up and youtubing and will do alot more was thinking of getting a sim alright.Every little helps!!!

Cool.The kit is the 500e super combo so have motor and servos,just got to get the tx/rx battery,charger and the likes.Been doing alot of reading up and youtubing and will do alot more was thinking of getting a sim alright.Every little helps!!!

Yes the sims are great for learning. A training landing gear setup would be very useful also. The actual setup is about mixing the collective pitch with throttle (pitch and throttle curves), which gives different flight modes selectable on the radio, and also involves the CCPM using its 3 servos which do the collective pitch as well as elevator and aileron controls.

Also the tail gyro has to be setup properly. A good gyro and tail servo can make them far more solid to fly.

Reckon i need to go shopping so.Hope the credit card holds out.Thanks a mil for the help robbie and i will be back to ya.Im sure im going to have great fun at this.I originally was going to use my sanwa vg600 radio but i think id be better going 2.4ghz.

• Advertisement

Yea i find the 2.4 great. Never once have had a glitch in close to 4 years using it.

Any more questions and il try answering anyway. Its a great one to learn with anyway. I started with a cheap one, and then the trex 450, then 600. The 450 was like rolls royce smooth compared to the first one. Far easier to fly. The 600 is easier to fly than the 440, and very similar to the 500.

I still fly the planes more, gliders now, must be getting old:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

you are going to love the trex, Ive been flying the 500 for a while now, though ive the esp (all metal head/tail etc).
    Another suggestion for your tx is to look at the futaba 8fg. I find it fantastic. Youll get it from hong kong for about 450 dollars. its an 8 ch, +2 switched ch. Though there is a software upgrade for it to make it an 8fg super with 12ch +2 switched. This radio might be useful if you ever go flybarless.
    but as robbie says the spectrum will still do the job nicely and its cheaper.

get ur sim and a good one too, ive found phoenix good, but am sure there are other good suggestions out there. Ive been using it and have never actually crashed the real thing (now ive done it!!!)

Also, the helifreak build vids are priceless! Look at the "101" vids as well as the actual 500 build ones.
    http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=53304

I find the 500 so much fun, ive got a 700 too, but im always totall stressed seeing that amount of money 100 ft in the air, whereas the 500 is way less intimidating and just pure fun!

one more thing... threadlock.. use it on every screw that goes into metal or a nut!!!! we shall not discuss what happened my 700 when i forgot to put threadlock somewhere i should have!!

Thanks for that but the futaba is a seriously dear bit of kit and i dont think my wallet could take it.STill having a look around to get the best price.

Thanks for that but the futaba is a seriously dear bit of kit and i dont think my wallet could take it.STill having a look around to get the best price.

Ah yeah, its a bit dear alright. But if you are looking at it go to hong kong and youll get it for about 300 euro. Though thats still 100 more than the dx6i.
    Im just an upgrade whore!

You would be doing well to escape the import duty as well on that. You might, or might not.

Just another quick one.I have a sanwa vg600 with 6 channels on it could i use that for awile or am i better off just splashing out.Oh the sanwa probably wont work with a sim though!!

You dont get hit for duty if you choose EMS from hong kong. Its silly the amount of stuff ive got and never been hit.

If its all you can afford by all means go with the spectrum. Lots of flyers use them with no problem.
    From what i know the vg600 cant do pitch ot throttle curves, nor ccpm mixing so will be no use to you at all.

It depends on the value.

Imported items of value below €150 are not charged import duty. No shipping method is immune to it on values above this, it just depends on the customs on the day. Vat can be charged on items below the €150 though.

I have been using the DX7 as said previously, and its been flawless in the near 4 years im using it. Proven range out to 4.5km as well:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Not sure cause I havn't looked at radios in awhile, but you may need to check that a radio bought outside the EU has the correct wattage output, i.e. have the CE mark, again not sure if the DX7 falls into this catagory. I know when I bought my DX9, I paid the extra so I would be covered by MACI insurance even though i was travelling to the US where I could have pick one up cheaper.
    Also, have ya looked at the DX8, it has the telemetry module showing real-time flight data - nice if your flying electric - i.e. shows heli battery level during flight. At nearly double the price of DX7, it all boils down to price..:confused:

Yea the DX8 would be what i would get myself if i was ever upgrading from the DX7, mainly for the memory card setup to be able to backup all model programmes. The one programme i would hate most to have to try to do again on the DX7 is the crow braking for the cularis, but with a memory card setup, it can all be backed up.

I find the battery level is easy enough to manage just using the timer for the heli`s, but the telemetry is certainly a great thing on them as well.

• Advertisement

Looks good, did you put a bid in?

Hi Guys,
    Just a quick update.Have order the imax b6 charger and battery of ebay,i got both for €100 so well pleased.Am in the throws of the build at the mo so am still waiting to grab a receiver.Think i might try and get a dx7,reckon i can get one off ebay for about €130 all in but will still have to get rx.Am enjoying putting htis together though.
    Thanks again

Hi
    Just one this on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140575561887&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
    Should get it next week also in the runningfor a phoenix sim too!!!

Looks like a good bargain there.

Anyone know a place in Dublin to get the Phoenix simulator??

try midland helicopters or fast lad in the uk. Youll have it in two days if u order with them...
    im sure you will find it cheaper on ebay too...

ps.. check all those bearings on that build of yours! I found a couple when i built mind that were a little rough, that caused wagging etc.

im off to charge my new lipos... 8 in total now.. that should give me enough flying time!! :D

Advertisement