Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best VOIP solution for 3G connection

• 05-07-2011 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,

I am using a vodafone 3g dongle and I get about 1MB download / 250K upload where I live. Skype is a nightmare, at best there is a delay and at worst I can only hear interference.

Does anyone know of solution for this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

None, its got nothing to do with speed (You can Skype on dial up), the latency on 3g will be unsuitable for Skype on any 3g network.

3 offer Skype on their website, but they cheat, really they route Skype as a voice call

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

AFAIK I think vodafone blocks VoiP via their 3g service. 3 don't. As PMT said, the latency is very not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭msmx5

In the past I've used VOIP(SIP) on a Vodafone 3G connection with surprisingly good results, not crystal clear but good enough for a conversation. It has been a while since I've done it though so I would not be surprised if they have implemented policies to restrict ore block VOIP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

msmx5 wrote: »
    In the past I've used VOIP(SIP) on a Vodafone 3G connection with surprisingly good results, not crystal clear but good enough for a conversation. It has been a while since I've done it though so I would not be surprised if they have implemented policies to restrict ore block VOIP.

Yes, however if you joined vodafone resently, they block all voip connections unfortunately, I don't know all the details (If I find them, I will post them) but they block it for new customers as far as I know.
    In any case, using 3G mobile is not a good idea, it can drop suddenly and you can unlikely get QoS. If you get a steady speed of 1mb you would be likely to be able to download from the net at the same time. Voip doesn't need a lot of speed, but for a quality call its best to have at least 1mb down.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

Ive succefully made calls using Bria counterpath (iphone addition) on my iphone using O2 and 3G it even worked in a non 3 G area.. (programmed the sip details from my blueface account on to iPhone)...Ive also used Viber in the same conditions and its not nearly as good..Viper only seems to work (for me anyway) on Wi-FI..

• Advertisement
Advertisement