Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drill a brick

• 05-07-2011 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Could you drill a hole in a brick like this or would it crack. The links show a few but I have just one and want to bury in garden and have a hole for dropping the gate stop into. The hole would be the same size as a ten cent coin. What size drill bit is that

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It depends how close to the edge you are. Just drill a very small hole then gradually make it bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 honeyvale

It depends how close to the edge you are. Just drill a very small hole then gradually make it bigger.
    good idea
    the hole will be in centre of the brick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,624 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Find one of those bricks with holes through them already.

Edit - sorry I hadn't looked at the pic, I didn't realise they were paviers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes, you can drill a hole in those bricks. Don't use an SDS drill, just use an ordinary high speed hammer drill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 honeyvale

Yes, you can drill a hole in those bricks. Don't use an SDS drill, just use an ordinary high speed hammer drill.
    what is the difference between SDS drill and ordinary high speed hammer drill.
    I have this drill

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

honeyvale wrote: »
    what is the difference between SDS drill and ordinary high speed hammer drill.
    I have this drill
    Your ok that's not a sds drill

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

mp22 wrote: »
    Your ok that's not a sds drill

Why not an SDS drill? ...or do you mean turn off hammer action?

Many times I've successfully drilled pavers using SDS... turn off hammer, use new(ish) bit (starting at 6mm or 8mm - increasing in size if hole is large). Generally keep a slow/medium rotation speed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

figs wrote: »
    Why not an SDS drill? ...or do you mean turn off hammer action?

Many times I've successfully drilled pavers using SDS... turn off hammer, use new(ish) bit (starting at 6mm or 8mm - increasing in size if hole is large). Generally keep a slow/medium rotation speed.

I was merely pointing out that the image honeyvale posted was not a sds drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

mp22 wrote: »
    I was merely pointing out that the image honeyvale posted was not a sds drill.

Sorry mp22, should have addressed it to fredfunk }{ who advised not using SDS... the drill and bit type shouldn't matter... just don't use the hammer action!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

for future reference - what an sds drill? what does it stand for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

fryup wrote: »
    for future reference - what an sds drill? what does it stand for?

http://sds-hammer-drill.com/sds-hammer-drill.php

Advertisement