Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with StreetFighter.ie

Options
  • 05-07-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

At @rcade-con this last weekend and old annoyance I've had with SF.ie was highlighted - namely it's title.
    I spent most of the weekend trying to plug the site and dredge up some new players. I had a good 20-30 people who were genuinely interested in tournaments in Dublin. Most of those people were primarilly MK9 and Tekken players.
    After I'd given my spiel about tournaments and regular gatherings I'd tell them to check out Streetfighter.ie and then the forums from there. Almost immediately you could see their interest disappear when I mentioned Street Fighter. Despite explaining to them that we don't just play SF I'm confident 20 of the ones I talked to will never visit the site, purely based on their dislike of Street Fighter.

I know that when people say they'll visit a site like this a good chunk of them wont do it anyways, but I could definitely see that open dislike of SF was scaring many of these players away. I've noticed that in particular Tekken players have a tendancy to really dislike anything to do with Street Fighter. (The same goes for SF players against Tekken)

So what I'm saying in a long and rambling fashion is that I think we need a new name for the site.
    Yes, we primarilly play Street Fighter, but as other games become more and more prominent SF.ie is becoming less and less applicable, and as I saw at @rcade-con, may actually be scaring people away from the site in the first place.

What SF.ie does have going for it is that it's ridiculously easy to remember and tell people.

Something punchy along the lines of NeoEmpire or Shoryuken would be ideal in my opinion (though less so the latter because of its obvious connection to SF).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

FightingGamesIreland.xx is available, but it's not that catchy.

inferno.ie is available, but unless Inferno changes to a multiple game event, the name will have connections with Street Fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

I agree with this. The first time I ever came across StreetFighter.ie (through google when looking for a TE), I was put off because I wasn't really a Street Fighter fan. Even though there was other games being mentioned in the forums I was still under the impression that it was more of a Street Fighter community rather than a fighting game one.

I only saw otherwise when I went to one of the Hype of Two Worlds tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

just a quick input, if you are looking for a new domain, please keep it short.
    Instead of putting in Ireland in the sentence, lets just go for .ie, will take longer but worth it in the end.
    Some variation of ie/ireland is necessary so that it gives a sense of locality.

Also i agree with Ger, FightingGames is too average.
    compare with other games
    CODIRELAND.ie
    CALLOFDUTY.ie

lame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Placebo wrote: »
    Instead of putting in Ireland in the sentence, lets just go for .ie, will take longer but worth it in the end.
    Some variation of ie/ireland is necessary so that it gives a sense of locality.

Also i agree with Ger, FightingGames is too average.

Agreed. I like the .ie tag on the end of SF.ie, and something like IrishFGCom sounds awful and clunky.

As for specifics, I dunno. One of my housemates threw out the name TripleFierce which I liked - which makes no sense when you actually think about it but still sounds very fightery related. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Semi SF related - downrightfierce.ie ...Not short but easy to remember. True, there is a .tv and .com already.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'm pullin a Xinkai if the name changes to either of those lads :pac:

It needs to be some what iconic, see shoryuken.com [Street fighter related reference but not exactly streetfighter.com] look at the other names out there
    iplaywinner.com
    see some shirts for inspiration : http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0057/9482/assets/slideshow1.jpg?100523

i'm terrible with names, runs in the family [e.g: my real name !?] so just throwing out ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I know that when people say they'll visit a site like this a good chunk of them wont do it anyways, but I could definitely see that open dislike of SF was scaring many of these players away. I've noticed that in particular Tekken players have a tendancy to really dislike anything to do with Street Fighter. (The same goes for SF players against Tekken)

SFxTekken.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

It does make sense to get a domain based around all fighting games. I was trying to think of something that is unique to fighting games and in all of them and well obviously there's jumping but www.jumpfighter.ie isn't exactly catchy or connected to the community :P Tekken is 3d so can't use something like 2dfighters.ie. Combos sure, but anything like 'combo warriors' sounds absolutely vile :P

The only thing i could think of is the quarter circle motion, it's in any fighting game i can think of, it has an obvious connection to fighting games so if people hear it then they'll remember it, in the same way Shoryuken is memorable for fans of Street Fighter. www.QuarterCircle.ie is available, www.QCF.ie isn't though which would've been nice cause it's short, catchy and even more recognizable to fighting game fans than simply 'quarter circle'. I reckon with a name like that it would stick in peoples heads an become synonymous with the irish fighting games community.

educatefighttogether.ie

• Advertisement

QCF.ie wouldn't be too bad.

EDIT: Balls, you said it's not available.

round1.ie and roundone.ie are both available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

quarterup.ie ?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Untitled.png

Think we can sue them and get them to give us the domain on charges of 'crimes against web design'...there isn't a judge in the land who would rule against us.

RoundOne is another good one, it's in all fighting games, it's short, catchy and memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

how about yomi.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

GDLK.ie

roundone.ie is the best so far imo

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I currently own the domain "GamerZone.ie" if ye want it.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

+1 for Round1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

online-warriors.ie

Srsly though, I like round1.ie.
    roundone.ie sounds like a weight watchers site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Having numbers in the title would suck. Anytime you have to spell a site out, the world loses hope. remember skoool.ie adverts on the radio?

That said I like onehitcombo.ie /whatever.

Or inferno.ie like i suggested years ago.

The other problem is this should have been done a long time ago, sf.ie has gotten its name out there quite a bit and it would be like starting from scratch on that front.

Either way the site needs a redesign, multiple people posting news etc and the forums need to be hosted there.

As long as the forums are here, sf.ie will remain a site for foreigners to look at and nothing more.

Yeah I think Round1.ie is better than having the word, how is that a problem?

You don't have online banking sites being called bankingthreesixfive.ie

edit: We can keep streetfighter.ie as a redirect to the new site so "starting from scratch" won't be any kind of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I posted up the voice actor thing last night, log in now to see because I didn't select news as a category it hadn't gone up. jeebus ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

What about fightingspirit.ie?

That said, I don't mind what name is used as long as its one that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Something along the lines of RoundOne sounds good, but that's a terribly boring name.
    QuarterCircle is probably my favourite of the lot, but it sounds like it's missing something, and QuarterCircleForward is too long.
    RoundOneFight, TwoHitCombo, BlockString, BackForwardGay could be some other contenders.

I also quite like CounterHit.ie

One the note of spelling numbers, for something with several digits like Banking365, then numbers make sense. For a single digit I would naturally think of spelling it.
    Even in a forum setting, when I say numbers I'll often write things like "nine copies of SF" and "13 copies of SF".

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

wakeupsuper.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

sticksandstones.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

How about http://foots.ie ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

PPC wrote: »
    How about http://foots.ie ?

That's awesome, but then people wouldn't get it.

Advertisement