Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with StreetFighter.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

FightersGeneration.ie
    FGEire.ie

Gotta repost Inferno.ie also, it just makes sense.

Or my personal favourite

WeHaveNothingToDoOnASaturday.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Nobody liked sticksandstones? I thought it was genius myself.

hori-real-arcade-pro-3.jpg
    &
    TesteMainImage.jpg

gethype.ie is perfect though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think Round1.ie is the best choice, its globally understood and its a nice tame reference. GetHype in my opinion is too childish. Its trying too much [just like your ryu Ajay, har har har]

either way lets pick one so the logo can be made

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Placebo wrote: »
    i think Round1.ie is the best choice, its globally understood and its a nice tame reference. GetHype in my opinion is too childish. Its trying too much [just like your ryu Ajay, har har har]

either way lets pick one so the logo can be made
    I'm as big a fan of EA Sports Fight night Round 1 as anybody, but surely dedicating the site to this would be even more alienating than street fighter.ie.

I know you guys are trying to cash in on the Haye-Klitshko fight, but come on.....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

wehatedoomscheapguile.com/airthrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ken B wrote: »
    I'm as big a fan of EA Sports Fight night Round 1 as anybody, but surely dedicating the site to this would be even more alienating than street fighter.ie.

I know you guys are trying to cash in on the Haye-Klitshko fight, but come on.....!!!
    ... what.

"Round 1: Fight" (or variation thereon) is what you hear with every single fighting game ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sarcasm is lost on the internet, or on Kiki, one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

The real problem with streetfighter.ie:

The site's a waste of ****ing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'd consider it pretty centric to the American scene particularly, and it's really cheesy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Let's just cut the bull****.

mistified.ie

Someone buy it now. I can't afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

The real problem with streetfighter.ie:

The site's a waste of ****ing time.

Don't you write a lot of the content?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

This isn't really the thread for that discussion Kneecap, as the lack of pickup from your first post concerning it may have alerted you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Fuzablaa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

well there's no point renaming it without a plan of what you are going to do with it.

Putting the cart before the horse.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Even if theres no content its great to have a place where people can land if they search "street fighter ireland" or similar.
    If we just posted tournament announcements and results on the site we have a good chance of finding new people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

well there's no point renaming it without a plan of what you are going to do with it.

Putting the cart before the horse.ie

I'd kinda agree.

I made a thread a while back going "people need to look after sf.ie" I am too busy to do it, I barely get to actually play games at this point as is with here and the vids.

If we're going to go to the bother of putting extra work or money into the site, people have to help out with it.

I think if the layout and technique improves then we will see more activity.
    Content scroller at the top, proper layout with excerpt/thumbnails/personalized avatar for the several blog contributes. Links to general locations, details etc

myspace vs facebook etc

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Anysignoftheboys?.ie

Is that catchy enough?

.....Or are we still going with Round 1.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

imho the community is growing to a point where there is a perceptive need to do something to bring it forward some more. Talking about a website is all well and good but I think the discussion should focus more around what you want to do with both it and any other projects. Right now we have people who are 'championing' (I apologise for the corporate speak) things who are putting on tournaments, running casuals, providing video tec, traveling internationally and generally lending their help but if ye wanna take the next step, and I believe the timing is right for it, then a serious discussion around what XXXXXXX.ie will do and what activities members and advocates perform to provide this site with content i.e. make it useful. Right now, for example, I don't think I ever go to streetfighter.ie because there is nothing on it that I need or can't get from IRC client/boards/xbl. In order for the site to become useful then it needs something associated with it that doesn't appear anywhere else. This is where it gets tricky. Sites like SRK and others exist because they provide a location where there is expertise, forums, videos, news etc etc etc.

My 2 cents would be to use the portal site for X. Something that gives it uniqueness. It needs a focus (pardon the pun). An idea might be all tourney footage on it and only it..... or interviews and promotions etc. The radio podcasts people are at etc. Above all however, is the requirement for a person(s) to be responsible for putting up and maintaining content. Unless something like this happens then it is all futile imo. Right now we use boards and IRC for chat and general forum stuff. SF.ie (or whatever it is called) must be unique from this as this behaviour is unlikely to change. Using it for a forum or for chat is pointless. This is where I was going with GETHype.ie (or whatever domain is agreed upon). All international tourney attended - people rep Ireland and GetHype.ie. A blog and vlog of tourneys and the best players - official GetHype.ie ones for tournaments. This will allow collaboration with the likes of SRK and also allow for sponsorship or ad revenue (albeit - very limited).

Just a thought. Speaking of a domain name is really pointless unless there is a coherent, agreed upon strategy for what it supposed to do.

Aj

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Why not just set it up as a redirect URL to go to the forums, if all the content gets posted on boards.ie anyway?

• Advertisement

Vyze wrote: »
    Why not just set it up as a redirect URL to go to the forums, if all the content gets posted on boards.ie anyway?

hardly a categorized place for information.
    Its just a quick news feed for regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

If you're looking to increase traffic for sf.ie I suggest putting something you can't find on the boards, like a chat function?

Vyze wrote: »

This is where function really comes into it. This forum is useful for members and active and inactive local (Ireland) community members and should remain so (as it will). It is fairly useless for anything more though and we should be using domain.ie to be the focal point of the online interest with baords etc being the community - domain.ie would be the thing, or the company, or the organisation for this who have a forum on boards, not the other way around.

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    If you're looking to increase traffic for sf.ie I suggest putting something you can't find on the boards, like a chat function?

IRC chat is already on it and if you think about it, who is going to 'chat' with each other through a SF.ie site that isn't one of the lads who know each other. In fact, the getting to know the scene is half the fun and dependent on going to meet ups, tourneys, boards and IRC. what I was saying that the site has to be independent of these as a reason to visit but have the links/funtionality for these available on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

AJ's right with his 2 cents. Not much else to be added.

If you think about it, we're really trying to solve a bunch of different problems but mistaking them as being the same thing with potentially the same solution.

(1) StreetFighter.ie as a domain name, puts off new non-SF players from joining the community (Sairus' point)

(2) StreetFighter.ie as a website doesn't have good and/or unique enough content to make us (or international players) actually use it (Ayjay's point)

(3) StreetFighter.ie is visually unappealing (Farz's point)

Regarding the name, I think a poll would sort it out. If everyone is happy (haha) to rename the site, that'd be the perfect time to redesign it so it looks better; and sell the whole thing as a "relaunch". That would be points (1) and (3) resolved.

With regard to improving the site content I'm a lot less sure what to say.
    I'd be happy to offer my help, but my only applicable skill is good writing, which unfortunately isn't fractionally as useful as the stuff Doom does with the videos. I don't think it is the unique "X" that will bring people to the site, so I don't think it would be much use.

So sorry AJ but I "Got nothing".

With regard to improving the site content I'm a lot less sure what to say.
    I'd be happy to offer my help, but my only applicable skill is good writing, which unfortunately isn't fractionally as useful as the stuff Doom does with the videos. I don't think it is the unique "X" that will bring people to the site, so I don't think it would be much use.

So sorry AJ but I "Got nothing".

To the contrary, without good writing there's no point in doing anything with sf.ie, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

The only content that I think is perhaps worth pursuing is vlogs, podcasts and cross counter/assist me type shows or segments. And having some sort of calendar for events.

Write up about Infernos and stuff seems necessary but it's really not. There's always videos with commentary and a vlog(or 2).

With regards other articles if someone has an amazing insight into something go for it, but I've yet to see many articles on any of the FGC sites that are actually worth reading.

All of the names suggested are fine. I will suggest crossup.blah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The colour scheme definitely needs to change.

Blue on white works well and if we do keep boards.ie for the forum, then the redirect won't be so jarring.

If we had a couple of willing souls, we could probably do some form of little cross counter style thing.

Could just natter on about general FG stuff for a while, then show a match, then so some talk on the match that was watched.

The only thing we'd need I don't currently have would be a hd camera but tbh I am considering getting one anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

I've been looking into doing something like that doom. I have access to a hd camera. And more importantly someone who can use it properly.

It's just figuring out a format and getting folks to come chat. I'm not home for another month yet though.

Advertisement