Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with StreetFighter.ie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Speed Boat wrote: »
    I've been looking into doing something like that doom. I have access to a hd camera. And more importantly someone who can use it properly.

It's just figuring out a format and getting folks to come chat. I'm not home for another month yet though.

That's cool. We should have a chat about it, I assume you'd want to use my footage'/ hauppage (but I guess you'd have your own sound gear :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Yeah more than likely. I think we could definitely get something fun working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Me and Joe have been joking about the Chuey and Voa show (or rather, an Irish Cross Counter. I mean, Joe IS so black after all) for a while now, so I'd be interested in helping out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

To the contrary, without good writing there's no point in doing anything with sf.ie, imo.

(imo) I strongly disagree, i dont see where the pretense of intelligent, verbally intellectual gods is coming from. These are gamers that spew phrases like BODIED, SALTY, GDLIKE [short form of GOD LIKE]. Lets face it, Street Fighter is a game, perfect for people with short attention spans.
    Most of the articles in SRK/EVENT hubs dont go over a paragraph. All people want to see is videos, pictures, results, ranks/tiers. Looking at the demographic = safe educated guess that these people do not read as much as one would like them too [prime example, 99% of the SRK population].

While a write up, maybe fruitful and enjoyed by people that were there, it doesnt necessary need to be 1000 words, keep it short, add an image, some videos, done.
    (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

You might be right Farz, but it's not really worth debating.

I'll do it.

If it helps, great; if it doesn't, no big deal.

• Advertisement

Speed Boat wrote: »
    Yeah more than likely. I think we could definitely get something fun working.

Ok, let us know what you're thinking and if you need any advice recording wise/ gear.
    Voa wrote: »
    Me and Joe have been joking about the Chuey and Voa show (or rather, an Irish Cross Counter. I mean, Joe IS so black after all) for a while now, so I'd be interested in helping out :D

For now on this topic, leave the man to it. When he needs people he'll knnow where to come :)
    Placebo wrote: »
    (imo) I strongly disagree, i dont see where the pretense of intelligent, verbally intellectual gods is coming from. These are gamers that spew phrases like BODIED, SALTY, GDLIKE [short form of GOD LIKE]. Lets face it, Street Fighter is a game, perfect for people with short attention spans.
    Most of the articles in SRK/EVENT hubs dont go over a paragraph. All people want to see is videos, pictures, results, ranks/tiers. Looking at the demographic = safe educated guess that these people do not read as much as one would like them too [prime example, 99% of the SRK population].

While a write up, maybe fruitful and enjoyed by people that were there, it doesnt necessary need to be 1000 words, keep it short, add an image, some videos, done.
    (imo)

You're assuming we down the news aggregator route like SRK... in which case we'd still need more than just kneecap to be updating the place. One man can't keep a site like that going.

But then I am not saying I know the "answer" to what SF.ie should provide is, just it seems aimless right now. I don't think the average FG fan is as... flighty as you say though. The 20 min year in review vid pulled relatively big figures from SRK, despite being about a tiny scene on an island thousands of miles away and being 20 mins long.

For my part I could do a "this month in history" article I guess where I highlight a old vid for a laugh about how bad we were :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Just an idea but implement some sort of system of ranking between Irish players of the various games, I'm assuming there's a ranking system in Tekken, MK, BB and MVC like there is in SF. Yea i just checked and they all do.

So everyone starts with 0 points and based on ranked matches between two Irish players your points go up or down accordingly, you know, 2 points for a win -1 for a loss, sort of a ladder type thing.

All you would really need to do is get each player to send a screenshot or a replay, i don't know the replay systems outside of SF either so i don't know how possible the replay or screenshot thing would be on xbox or ps3 but i'm sure someone who knows more about the consoles and games other than SF will come up with ideas for how to avoid disputes about who won or lost.

Then set up some sort of database, though i'm not volunteering for that :P programming is one of my downfalls in that i know exactly nothing about it :P But I'd defiantly be up for editing the database after it's done and uploading it to the website to keep it current.

The reason i think that's a good idea is well i own a l4d2 server and i'd play vs with 8 friends. People would come one night, not for a few days and come back then after. Then i put a rank plugin on the server, suddenly people started to play a game every night because they didn't want 'so and so getting ahead of me in the rankings'.

I just think it would create competition between Irish players in an online environment, create regular traffic on the website which in turns means more people checking the news, reading about tournaments and some people who think they wouldn't be cut out for tournaments might feel more comfortable playing online for rankings and think 'maybe i could do alright at tournaments, i'm doing well in the ladder i beat this guy who has this high rank'. Also if any Irish fighting game fan hears of 'newsite.ie' which has the Irish fighting game ladders on it they're defiantly gonna check it out and possibly end up checking out this forum too.

Anyway i rambled enough, you all get what i mean. Whether you agree is another matter :P

/endrant

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Here's my opinion/idea

Why not have a front page that updates regularly, a video database thats easily accesible from the website, display recent topics we've been talking about on boards somewhere on the front page to keep the site alive.

Obviously there's some work involved. I wouldn't mind helping out with a few things.

Also for that kind of crosscounter type of video thing. It's a good idea but need an audience first, or maybe that would drive an audience towards us.

aeonfusion wrote: »
    Just an idea but implement some sort of system of ranking between Irish players of the various games, I'm assuming there's a ranking system in Tekken, MK, BB and MVC like there is in SF. Yea i just checked and they all do...

Personally I dislike playing competitely online, but perhaps others would enjoy this.
    WasterEx wrote: »
    Also for that kind of crosscounter type of video thing. It's a good idea but need an audience first, or maybe that would drive an audience towards us.

My youtube channel is relatively small, but when I am not uploading anything I regularly get 200 views a day. When I am uploading, I get between 1-5 thousand. There's pretty much daily searches for all our tippy top players (most commonly seen would be Cobelcog, Hound, Stev0Knev0, Stavenger1 and some scrub called doom). The game has obviously (to me) changed with reference to the Irish scene, some people are starting to know who we are. I would say less than 50% of the subs on my channel are irish now.

The people are there, they're waiting for decent content, IF that's the route we want to go down.

i'll try finish this once new site is up : http://iamjpg.com/streetfighter/browse.php

i got caught up with youtube validation and now the've changed their links ! :(

• Advertisement

My youtube channel is relatively small, but when I am not uploading anything I regularly get 200 views a day. When I am uploading, I get between 1-5 thousand. There's pretty much daily searches for all our tippy top players (most commonly seen would be Cobelcog, Hound, Stev0Knev0, Stavenger1 and some scrub called doom). The game has obviously (to me) changed with reference to the Irish scene, some people are starting to know who we are. I would say less than 50% of the subs on my channel are irish now.

The people are there, they're waiting for decent content, IF that's the route we want to go down.

Not to point out the obvious but that would be a good starter. Once the site is being maintained & updated regularly you could limit the amount of videos on your youtube account and direct the audience to the website to see more videos. You could still upload the videos to youtube even but have them as 'private videos' so that you can embed them on the site and they wont be visible on youtube. It's not the best idea but its something.

Placebo wrote: »
    i'll try finish this once new site is up : http://iamjpg.com/streetfighter/browse.php

i got caught up with youtube validation and now the've changed their links ! :(

http://www.mordor-mashup.com/dd-database/

I only point this out so you're not reinventing the wheel, farz!

WasterEx wrote: »
    Not to point out the obvious but that would be a good starter. Once the site is being maintained & updated regularly you could limit the amount of videos on your youtube account and direct the audience to the website to see more videos. You could still upload the videos to youtube even but have them as 'private videos' so that you can embed them on the site and they wont be visible on youtube. It's not the best idea but its something.

Eh... I think redirecting people to SF.ie from youtube would be a better way of doing it.

Limiting your youtube presence doesn't make much sense unless you're big enough to demand people follow you (like the angry video game nerd did).

http://www.mordor-mashup.com/dd-database/

I only point this out so you're not reinventing the wheel, farz!

GOD DAMN IT,
    i was first
    does it do char vs char?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70468839&postcount=91

Eh... I think redirecting people to SF.ie from youtube would be a better way of doing it

Oh yeah...That's what i meant:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

SF.ie's only current function is for event roundups and results which i can then post onto international sites, rather than have my piece contained in the individual email, having a written piece the other site can use and link to looks better.

As long as Sf.ie is on a different site from the forums, no one in ireland is going to use it.

Even if by some miracle something brilliant was posted there, someone would c&p it into the forums.

tl,dr: As long as it's not our main online hub, it will be of use for international stuff exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

As long as it's not our main online hub, it will be of use for international stuff exclusively.

Would it be possible to have a clone of the forum here on the 'newsite.ie'. Not a link to boards but the fighting games forum just being part of the website so people could use one or the other or both. As i say i know nothing about programming so i don't even know if that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

aeonfusion wrote: »
    Would it be possible to have a clone of the forum here on the 'newsite.ie'. Not a link to boards but the fighting games forum just being part of the website so people could use one or the other or both. As i say i know nothing about programming so i don't even know if that's possible.

No chance. And as stated who really wants to shell the couple of hundred euro it would cost to get a half-decent forum going?

I would the site will be okay with regular updates that keep up to date on tournaments and events that are happening. Especially if it's linked in with the facebook and twitter. You have to remember that there is still people out there that don't like boards/forums/us but would like to come along to tournaments etc.

Orim wrote: »
    No chance. And as stated who really wants to shell the couple of hundred euro it would cost to get a half-decent forum going?

This template comes with a forum integrated into the site,its called firebord. I actually have this template on my flash drive somewhere with all the extras.
    It's really easy to manage too.

http://www.joomlart.com/demo/#templates.joomlart.com/ja_sanidine_ii

If you did use a template like that, everyone could just stop posting on boards and start posting on the site?

i dont think we will need to pay for a board, it doesnt have to be phpbb or anything fancy either. And i dont think anyones going to hack into a FG gaming board, even wordpress has security holes.
    Thats not a problem, the problem is porting over and as mentioned before, authority. And alot of us use boards for other forms too. It wont work out and will die.

The last video of mine posted on sf.ie got 120 redirects from it, so someone is using it, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

But only because I linked it that way on reddit etc

I could have just as easily direct linked the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

The last video of mine posted on sf.ie got 120 redirects from it, so someone is using it, anyway.

Irrespective of what we do with this, I think we will need to make a concerted effort to use the site more actively either way. how can we expect others to land on the site if we don;t even use it ourselves enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Just after checking the stats for the last week and we've had 337 unique visitors to the site from 26 countries, 289 of those went to the mainpage.
    We had 189 visits to the site directly, with 32% of those being new users.
    Reddit sent us 138 visits with 86% new users and all went to the voice actors video.
    Google sent 114 with 64% new users, 100 of those were to the main page.

So there does seem to be a good bit of activity on the site with a lot of new users.
    It would be nice to work out how we could increase our conversion rate of new visitors to new members of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Regarding a universal fighting game site name....

How about DoubleKO.ie?

If you guys really do wanna change the name that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

I was one of the people talking to Sairus about this last weekend, and I fully agree with him. I also do think it is a good idea for us ourselves to start using the site more and actually have a reason to use it.

The online league thing someone suggested a page or two back seemed like an interesting idea, and while not everyone is Mr. Competitive, I certainly would say I'd frequent the site way more often if there was something like that to keep pulling me back and checking frequently.

As for some random suggestions for the site name, I've no really good ideas but just random stuff like:

BnB.ie
    Churn.ie

I do like Round1 as a suggestion though. Very simple yet does hold a common meaning for all fighting games. R1.ie also is really easy to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Linoud wrote: »
    I also do think it is a good idea for us ourselves to start using the site more and actually have a reason to use it.

I agree. But honestly, I haven't visited the site in months.
    Mainly as there's fook all content thats exclusive to the site. Everything that has been posted there, is here first. There needs to be a hook for us FG forum regulars to visit the site for content we can't get here.
    Personally, there's enough FG global news aggregators already, I wouldn't be interested in the site going that direction, I'd be more interested in local (to us,) content.

A podcast would be great. Even if it's just inane bull**** I'd happily listen to it when I'm in work, browsing boards or working my considerable guns in the gym.
    Doesn't need to be a clash counter style video, simple mp3 audio will do.

The "Knowing me, knowing you," features were great too, I'd welcome their return and even expanding them as they were pretty basic, I'd love to see more questions. They were interesting and something that was both local and exclusive to the sf.ie.

Edit - I'll throw up a thread for the podcast. I'm sure it's something we can start with asap. Shouldn't be too hard and once it's started should gather momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Knowing Me, Knowing you feature seems pretty interesting. It wouldn't be much, but hey if it's something happening there might be a bit of activity there for us to go checkout. It'd also help newer faces to the community not feel awkward randomly turning up and not being able to place a name to alot of the faces present since those "Knowing me, knowing you," features aren't large in number from the looks of it, and there probably isn't many at all for any new faces present in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

A-Trak wrote: »
    The "Knowing me, knowing you," features were great too, I'd welcome their return and even expanding them as they were pretty basic, I'd love to see more questions. They were interesting and something that was both local and exclusive to the sf.ie.

I'd completely forgotten about these and I would also love to see them return. I also wanted to see more information in them, so I'll make a new template tomorrow and start randomly interviewing people. There's enough videos floating around these days that a match for each interviewed player could be included on the article for extra kicks.
    Might as well use this contributor ability for something other than Tempest plugging :D

Why dont we agree to not post news here BUT on the website first, as a priority. Then the discussion here. [i.e first post of discussion should contain just the excerpt and link to the site for the rest]

not sure how well this would work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

The first of many new Knowing Me Knowing Yous to come has gone live.
    http://streetfighter.ie/index.php/2011/07/14/knowing-me-knowing-you-atrak/

I'll try to do these wee interviews every weekend from now and have em up on Mondays or something similar.

Advertisement