Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with StreetFighter.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, here's all the serious names that were suggested.

Irish Themed
    FightingGamesIreland
    FGEire

General Names
    Online-Warriors
    Inferno
    GamerZone
    SticksAndStones
    FightingSpirit
    FightingDemocracy
    FightersGeneration

Low Entry Level Lingo
    * RoundOne
    RoundOneFight
    OneHitCombo
    TwoHitCombo
    * DoubleKO

Medium Entry Level Lingo
    * QuarterCircle
    QuarterCircleForward
    QuarterCircleBack

High Entry Level Lingo
    BnB
    CrossUp
    * BlockString
    * CounterHit
    Yomi
    GDLK
    * GetHype
    ButtonCheck

Game Series Specific
    WakeUpSuper
    DownRightFierce
    FinishHim

While I was mad on for RoundOne earlier, that was mostly out of an urge to get **** moving.
    For this kind of thing I think that's a bad call. No one seems very genuinely happy with RoundOne so I don't think we should rush into naming our hub that or we'll just run into this problem again in a year or two.

None of the above names jump out at me as a must have domain name. I've marked the ones that I like best with a *, but I still don't feel any of them.

As annoying as it is, I figure we should just keep mulling it over in this thread until we actually settle on a name - and in that case can people try to keep the discussion in here purely about the name? We can discuss other problems/aspects of the site in other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

You missed my suggestion of crossup.ie

Speed Boat wrote: »
    You missed my suggestion of crossup.ie

I said 'serious suggestions' :P

But yes, my apologies. Added to the list :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thanks for rounding those up Sairus,I personally think that, that list is a good indication to why we need to just go with round one, 10 pages on - over ten days we have all drafted and produced very poor, game specific, high level entry lingo.

Also keep in mind, the name needs to be short so we can have a nice logo, which has been requirement from the start for any outside events. Abbreviations dont work too well, IPL [i play winner? indian premier league?]

We can leave it open to discussion for a while, maybe till the end of the month. I guess there is no urgent rush, i've started on the blog redesign anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

As stated, none of them really jump out at me. If we could get more solid content going for each game, I'd almost be tempted to just make the extra investment and buy the domain for each game (tekken.ie, blazblue.ie) and tailor it to whoever you're talking to. But that seems equally stupid.

Since shoryuken.ie is taken, what about tigerknee.ie? Just throwing it out there. As with shoryuken it's become something of a universal expression for all games but I don't think it would as accepted and obvious as shoryuken.

For a slight joke, I'd like to try and use the letters FTS so shortening the url is fts.ie. Ever since that got suggested, I think it's the best but obviously it won't work in a non written context.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

ownzone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I think the problem with mulling stuff over is that we will never collectively come to a unanimous decision.

I will be exactly like trying to decide what the best colour is, out of all colours.
    We each have a favourite, and there will never be a best universally recognised colour.

Who ended up being elected for the committee here?

I think it's best we just get a decision and move on. It would be cool if the committee could do that.

I don't expect us to come to a decision either way on a specific name, but in mulling it over we might at least come across a name that some people seem to actually like.
    I think virtually everyone thinks RoundOne is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sairus wrote: »
    I think virtually everyone thinks RoundOne is boring.

Right, but even if that statement were true (and I'm not saying it is), I don't believe a boring name is a bad thing.

Actually it could be a good thing.

Your goal in this Sairus was not to have the most awesome and rockingest name ever, it was to have one that people you met in real life were likely to visit.

Boring is safe, and attractive.

Exciting is scary and off-putting.

ThatIsSoPringles.ie, for example would be pretty cool, and we'd all get the reference; but it would mean zero to any potential new people, and would be a worse and less useful name than what we currently have.

This is all precisely why I hate decisions by committee. It always bottlenecks on the minutia.

Some other suggestions I've gleaned from various discussions:

UnknownFighter
    NewChallenger
    TripleKO (because a Double KO isn't cool enough)
    Ultra
    UltraCombo (Again game specific, but sufficiently out dated that it's more of a general nod)
    ComboBreaker (Same deal)
    PerfectVictory
    DoublePerfect
    Godlike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Some other suggestions I've gleaned from various discussions:

UnknownFighter
    NewChallenger
    TripleKO (because a Double KO isn't cool enough)
    Ultra
    UltraCombo (Again game specific, but sufficiently out dated that it's more of a general nod)
    PerfectVictory
    DoublePerfect
    Godlike

OHKO.ie is another suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

God dammit Sairus.

I have repeatedly stated that I *LIKE* Round1.

It's simple.
    It's universal.

And most importantly, it flows.
    You could actually PUT IT IN A SENTENCE IRL (very important!).

Round1/RoundOne is very damn good.
    USE. IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I think we should call it Mordor Mashup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Mostexcitingamazingfantasticfightinggamewebsiteofalltime.ie. ?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I was for Round1.ie until Boukenator linked that other site Round1.sg.

Since it's the exact same name of another fighting game community, it would be cool to at least have a name that wasnt being used in the fighting games community already.

And for the sake of submitting a name, I'm gonna say Infernofighting.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

www.zeroframe.ie or www.zeroframes.ie

Or on a more whimsical note www.mash&parry.ie

c wot i did thar? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ZeroFrame sounds ok.

ZeroFrames sounds like a photography site.

I forget who's on the committee, but I would like to tell them:

Pick a name, any good VAGUELY fighting-game-related name (must be vague!).
    We'll grumble for a bit, and then accept it.
    Such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

flowchart.ie :rolleyes:

I quite like ZeroFrame.
    Brings back good Ultra 2 memories from Super.

GoForBroke.ie
    FaceItStraight.ie
    Indestructable.ie
    WorldWarrior.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

GoForBroke.ie
    FaceItStraight.ie
    Indestructable.ie
    WorldWarrior.ie

just an opinion, not attacking BUT

Those sound really corny and nerdy.
    Maybe more suitable for a comic book. Or a 17 year olds fan website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

LetsFightingLove.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Neeknak wrote: »
    LetsFightingLove.ie

www.protectmyballs.ie?

Haven't checked back here in ages cause i got AE, been playing for like a week and a half straight :P Imo ye should just go with www.quartercircle.ie, it's about the only one i haven't heard anyone grumble about :P That and synonymous with fighting games, it's very very basic fighting game jargon so even the newest players (like myself) understand it, easy to remember, "qc.ie" rolls off the tongue for abbreviation purposes and not too...i dunno...over the top, macho, boring or self congratulatory like 'worldwarriors.ie' or 'fightinggamesireland.ie'. Also it sounds like a community, circle and all that.

The only other one mentioned that i thought fit the bill was Round1.ie but as you said it's already in use by another FG community which is bad for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

aeonfusion wrote: »
    www.protectmyballs.ie

Either one works lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

quartercircle.ie is ****, there you go, someone complaining about it.

randomselect.ie

Edit:

This is a serious suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

getzoned.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    quartercircle.ie is ****, there you go, someone complaining about it.

Can't argue with that...still though, suggest a better idea. Also, there was no need to be rude about it...no need at all. "I don't like it" would have conveyed your point just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Mistif.ie(d)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I've made a few posts already saying I liked round1 (didn't know about the SG scene being called that already though). Apologies if you took offence anyway.

randomselect.ie is good, I like that one.

• Advertisement

Let me pick up my own horn here and say randomselect.ie is as good as round one if not better.

Is it an in-joke (which is bad) = No

Actually in this instance yes, as we can't agree on a name for our site. But it's not some crazy 3 person in joke.

But it ticks all the other boxes you put forth. Also it's fairly bland but a little better than round one.

Advertisement