Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead hard drive

Options
  • 05-07-2011 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

When I was putting my pc together I had a bit of a mishap with my old hard drive that fried the chip on it and it is no longer visible on the computer.

Just wondering if ye know any good spots to get a replacement chip for it or is it worth it?

Its a western digital caviar blue 250gb if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

that hard drive would only cost you around 30-40 euro for a new one... unless there's stuff you really want to save on it just get a new one...

that'd be my 2c anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

That's kind of what I was thinking alright. Just hoping there would be a cheap way of repairing it rather than throwing it out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you have one of the exact same model, you might be able to switch the circuit boards and rescue your data. Otherwise, you'll have to pay the professionals which would be a few hundred euro minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Sadly I don't and there are none on adverts.
    I checked out the prices for the chip on ebay and they were the same price as a new hard drive!!

I think I will just have to face the facts and let it be

Thanks for the suggestions anyway lads

Advertisement