Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMAT or GRE?

Options
  • 05-07-2011 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to boards.ie. Just wondering if anyone out there could help me decide which one (GMAT or GRE) would be a more useful exam to take to help me apply to loads of MBA courses? Also, if anyone here has done either of these, how difficult are they and would I need to hire a grind to do well?

Thanks a lot,
    Ben.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

For MBAs, GMAT is definitely the one - it is, after all, the Graduate Management Admissions Test. GRE is a more general test, while GMAT is tailored to MBA entry. Go to http://www.mba.com/ and it's on the front page.

I did the GMAT about 6 years ago on spec, and did well, even though I had no undergraduate degree at the time. Not hard at all, I thought. I didn't do as well on the Maths portion due to unfamiliarity: the questions weren't hard as such, but a couple were things I just hadn't ever done, and there was no time to play with them. Put it this way: you don't need to have any degree to ace it, but you do need to be wide awake and thinking clearly.

If the free materials online aren't enough, get a book. It's a test of intelligence and comprehension, not a test of memory, so I doubt that "grinds" would be much use. You need to be able to fully comprehend a report and answer questions on it, as well as write a short report in a clear and organised fashion.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to boards.ie. Just wondering if anyone out there could help me decide which one (GMAT or GRE) would be a more useful exam to take to help me apply to loads of MBA courses? Also, if anyone here has done either of these, how difficult are they and would I need to hire a grind to do well?

Thanks a lot,
    Ben.

Depending on where you plan to apply, it may not make that much of a difference which one you do. Some MBA programs do accept the GRE, but not all - your target schools' websites/application FAQs should help you figure it out.

In terms of which is easier, hard to say - both cover pretty much the same territory I think. Whatever one you decide to do, I agree with the previous poster: self-study should be enough to get you through it. Just get comfortable with the style of the various questions and the time-limits and you should do OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PowerfulBenny

Thanks for your replies. I have decided to do the GMAT after all. I hope you don't mind me asking what kind of scores you got by studying alone? It's just that Smufit offer a scholarship for anyone who gets a really high GMAT score (720 I think). After looking at loads of free samples etc. online this week, I am thinking that I may in fact need a grind (Smurfit are recommending Kaplan courses, anyone heard of these??).

I agree that the maths sections don't look too bad but the verbal is a nightmare for me and I have read that you get punished for having a lopsided score (i.e. really high in maths and really low in verbal).

If I do get grinds they would cost over 500 quid and the test costs around 200 quid. Obviously I would look silly if I didn't get the result...then again it would save me tons of money if I did. What do you guys think? Any advice would be hugely appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

(Smurfit are recommending Kaplan courses, anyone heard of these??).

Kaplan courses are supposed to be alright from what I have heard, though I am sure it probably depends a lot on the specific instructor and the classroom environment.
    I hope you don't mind me asking what kind of scores you got by studying alone? It's just that Smufit offer a scholarship for anyone who gets a really high GMAT score (720 I think).

I was able to score higher than that through self-study, but obviously everyone's experience is going to be different.

What you could do is try one of the online sample tests from GMAC that you can find here: http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-free-test-preparation-software/

Treat it like the real GMAT - sit down and work through it. It will give you a reasonably accurate assessment of how you are positioned for the real thing, and also highlight where you might have topics/question types to work on. Depending on how the results from the sample test look you can then make a more informed decision about whether you want to invest in a Kaplan prep course.

Advertisement