Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about future career

Options
  • 05-07-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello,
    I'm here to discuss and look for advice related to my future career opportunities. I'm currently going into 6th year this September, and soon I need to figure out what I would like to do. I'm 16 at the moment. I would hope to do something that I enjoy with a good pay at the same time. Things I like are cars, such as racing, making and fixing them. Also I'm interested in architecture and engineering. But I hear that is stressful work and pay can vary. Subjects I'm good at are , Design and communication graphics (basically Tech-Graphics) and Construction. Both at honours level. I do pass maths but I got an A in the junior cert. Also I do physics but find it difficult and I only got 55% in the summer test. (with little time to study however). I was hoping someone could give me some advice on what career to take, or someone who is in a similar position to me or was to share their advice. Much appreciated,
    Ryan :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Right, well it's a good thing you have identified what you like and the subjects you like. When thinking about a career the following would be some things I would advise you to think about/take into consideration.

Do what you love, regardless of job prospects or pay. I've seen this happen in my own field science. Over the past number of years, many people are entering into science thinking that there will be a good job at the end of it. Most of these people are failing their degree because they are in it for the money, not the subject. Do not make this mistake! If you love the subject you will work at it!

Remember, just because you study one thing, doesn't mean you can't change after. For example, some people might do a law degree then decided to go into med. Scientists decided to go into law. And so on. Basically, you are not suck with what you study!

Research. Research the courses and the careers, talk to people who did it/in it/doing it. The more information you know the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ryan_w94

Thanks for the advice much appreciated :) I might try something like auto mechanic or along the lines of that :) Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Go for it! And good luck with it!

Advertisement