Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hayshed Bay Conversion Ideas

• 05-07-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have a three bay hay shed, one of the bays has a poured concrete wall at the back and on one gable.

I am tight on shed room for numbers this year and thinking of putting a sloped floor in this bar with a feedbarrier facing the middle bay and a Gate at the side..

Would this suffice for 8 weanlings for the winter, I am thinking of putting a basic concrete pit on the outside and scrape out the bay every 2/3 days....

Has any one any suggestions on a good cheap design with what i have been given.. I can utilise two bays if need be..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

If you are only putting 8 weanlings in the shed would you not be better using straw or woodchip bedding instead? I hate poured concrete walls in sheds other that silage walls as it is impossible to remove them if you want to convert the shed. The lazy mans wall I call them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

If you are only putting 8 weanlings in the shed would you not be better using straw or woodchip bedding instead? I hate poured concrete walls in sheds other that silage walls as it is impossible to remove them if you want to convert the shed. The lazy mans wall I call them :)

An alternative to scraping out is to have a straw bed, how often would this need to be cleaned, once a month??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

adne wrote: »
    An alternative to scraping out is to have a straw bed, how often would this need to be cleaned, once a month??
    Once a fortnight or less would be better as they would be rising over the feed passage
    if the dung is allowed to build up too much. Of course you would want a concrete pad and run off tank to store the dung on. Back in the 80's they were designing sheds with sloped floors with a narrow slatted channel that would take the slurry to an open tank, I don't know how well they worked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pauric Mc

Id bed ith the woodchips, used them here under beef bulls in a similar shed, great last and very little run off. dump in at least a foot of it and cattle love it, its dry and very warm

Advertisement