Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon and Beyond

Options
  • 05-07-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey guys and girls,

Gave up hurling after minors and experienced 1st year of college (heavy drinking) all over the space of a year..basically I was doing no exercise and drinking a hell of a lot more. Now I'd probably be described as a slim guy but I've developed a bit of a beer belly that I wanted to get rid of.

So I started running (to get fit/lose the belly) with the aim of doing a 10k on Easter Saturday past, which I did in 50.17. I was absolutely wrecked crossing the line but it was one of the best feelings of my life.

I've continued training, albeit not as much as I'd like, and have set myself a new target of running the dingle half marathon on sep 4th. I ran 5.3 miles last Thursday and felt very fresh afterwards and it was probably the most satisfied I've been with a run since my 10K.

I decided to start this thread for any advise, motivation and as a way to track my running.

Off for a 3.5 mile run now. If I'm feeling fresh (was at the tall ships over the weekend, drank a little too much :o) I'll add in some 1 min speed intervals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Run: 3.5 miles with 5*1minute up tempo speed intervals.
    Time: 27.12

Latter intervals were tough but I'm running a lot better than I was 3/4 weeks ago :)

Run: 3.5 miles
    Time: 26.44

Really pushed myself tonight and took 34sec off my pb on this circuit :)

Just a quick post to outline my goals

Short Term - Dingle Half Marathon
    Medium Term - Cork City Marathon
    Long Term - Triathlon

25/07/11: 3.5 miles, 26.06 (PB)
    26/07/11: 6.6 miles, 53.20 (PB distance)

Not posted here in a while but going to try and use it to help track my running now.

Hour and a half of hurling training last night. Pretty heavy running.

Had a stiff knee when I woke up today so I'm going to take a break this evening, training again tomorrow and planning to get in my next run Saturday.

• Advertisement

Took a week off to rest my knee and got back to action Thursday night.

04/08/11: 3.5 miles, 26.03
    05/08/11: 3.5 miles, 25.08 (Smashed my PB over this distance :D )

Plan to do a 5.3mile run later today...it's feels great to be back in action :)

06/08/11: 5.3 miles, 41:55 (PB)

New PB over this distance tonight but it was a tough enough run, could really feel the stong finish I put in yesterday in my legs. May take a break tomorrow if the legs still feel tired, if not I'll do the 3.5 again.

To update my progress:

07/08/11: 3.5miles, 26:32
    08/08/11: Rest
    09/08/11: 3.5miles, 25:42
    10/08/11: Rest (due to high winds)
    11/08/11: 6.6miles, 51:16 (PB)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Hi Skeleton boy,

Good man for getting started with your running.
    I notice that the longest run you have done is 6.6 miles and you are getting faster at shorter distances.
    However, it doesn't matter how fast you can run 6 or 7 miles, that will not necessarily get you around the 13.1 miles of a half marathon.

You are not doing any long slow runs at all and you really should, if you are training for a half marathon. Your legs will benefit from being able to run for longer.

The Dingle half marathon is in 3 weeks. You need a training plan for the next three weeks that includes some longer runs, or you risk hating the race or getting injured.

I'm no real expert, just someone who has done a half marathon, but here is my suggestion, based on standard training plans like www.halhigdon.com and advice I got here.

Run three times a week for the next two weeks. One of these runs should be long and much slower. Ease up on fast running completely in the last week and do a few easy medium length runs.

Your current runs at at <8 minutes a mile.

Try running 8 or 9 miles at 10 minutes a mile.

You also have no idea what pace to run the race at. If you go out at 8 minutes a mile, you have little chance of keeping that up for the whole race with your level of training.

Better aim for 2 hours, which means running at 9.10 minutes per miles, so you should be prepared for that pace of running.

You should enjoy your first half marathon, avoid injury and be motivated to do more training to improve on your next one.

Thanks for the post, really appreciate it. I should of mentioned earlier however I'll probably not run the dingle half marathon if Tip win on Sunday. (Cant miss Tip vs Kilkenny should be a cracker)
    I've not done much research in either race but I think I'll aim for the Galway or Valentia Half on Oct 1st instead. That gives me 7 weeks so I was thinking of adding 1 mile to my long run each week so I'll be up to 12miles and have a rest week.

• Advertisement

12/08/11: 3.5miles, 27:00

Just went at a nice steady pace after the long run the day before. Felt good :)

13/08/11: 3.5miles, 26.20.

Went a steady enough pace again and didn't kill myself. Felt good. Will probably run again tomorrow and take a rest Monday

16/08/11: 3.5 miles, 25.58

Steady Pace. Possibly the most comfortable I've felt since I started running, and what a wonderful evening :)

18/08/11: 3.5 miles, 26.20
    19/08/11: 3.5 miles, 25.47

Plan to run 6.6miles tomorrow.

18/08/11: 3.5miles, 26.21
    19/08/11: 3.5miles, 25.41

Plan to run 6.6 tomorrow!

Advertisement