Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomson alternatives/ setup advice

• 05-07-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭

Hi, just got the UPC 100Mb bb and the dreaded thomson..

I didnt have anything too advanced goin on before on my network, but already finding the thomson frustrating (even adding mac filters is a pain and I cant see any static routes for known devices).

I have an old NETGEAR WNR2000 and thought I would get up to spead with DD-WRT and looking for some guidance as what to do for the best setup, My network will be: 1 wired nas, 1 wired home media centre, collection of mixed 11n/11g devices (laptops/ kindles etc). The most I do is stream (often HD movies) from the home media to the 11n laptop, and want to maximise speed and reliability from my hardware.

Also are there any redeaming features of the thomson - it appears to be equivalent specs as my netgear (dual channel, supports n, but only chan one at a time) etc?

Thanks for any tips!

km

EDIT: Scrap most of the above.. dd-WRT doesnt run so good on a v1 WNR2000!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The "dreaded" Thompson?!

It seems an awful lot better the EPC2425 which even has its own thread.

Your points are somewhat difficult to answer, as they cover a plethora of networking equipment and protocols and router features and functionality. I've often seen routers that are great on e.g. security or wifi stability and range yet have few WAN configuration options etc. Getting a core list of features you want to see in your router and then looking at reviews on websites might be more fruitful.

You mentioned the "dual channel" 802.11g+n idea and I know that routers exist which allow for proper dual band operation though I think it's easier to have a cheapo 802.11g router running alongside the 802.11n router (on different wifi channels naturally!)

Advertisement