Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a Bank Account

Options
  • 05-07-2011 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

How does Irish citizen who is returning to Ireland after a number of years abroad (outside the EU), open a bank account?

He has a PPSN.
    However, he cannot provide an address until he buys a property and he cannot buy a property until he has transferred his money from abroad into a bank account here. A never ending circle it seems.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Irish driving licence with address on it.

Foreign bank statement with address on it.

Get on the electoral register...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

odds_on wrote: »
    How does Irish citizen who is returning to Ireland after a number of years abroad (outside the EU), open a bank account?

He has a PPSN.
    However, he cannot provide an address until he buys a property and he cannot buy a property until he has transferred his money from abroad into a bank account here. A never ending circle it seems.

Any ideas?

I was in the same boat. Went into PTSB and they sent me a form through the post, i brought it back into the branch and that was good enough for them to open an account.

You may need to find somebody in the branch with a bit of empathy for the situation. Not a, 'computer says no', type.

Alternatively, somebody already with a bank account could go into their branch and act as a guarantor for him just so he can open an account.

Advertisement