Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raid on Halting Site...Tipp road

• 05-07-2011 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/gardai-raid-illegal-waste-facility/a97b61fb-ddcb-41d5-bda1-bc567044a3fa

Did anyone else see the amount of activity that went on today at the halting site out by ballysimon ?
    At least 20 guards ,10 customs officials , and a few other agencies were involved....they even blocked off a section of the old Ballysimon road to facilitate it.
    There were 3 mobile cranes lifting stuff out of the site.
    A big operation but for all the resources used there will be absolutely no return.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Why will there be no return

Vehicles can be seized, especially with customs involved.
    Green diesel attracts big fines, in the thousands
    Demands for VAT can be made and maybe VRT too.

And if CAB are involved, property can be taken and sold off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

One good reason to evict them from the site, closed it down and seal it up. Keep those fecking kids out on their sulkies in rush hour traffic at least and possibly stop goats wandering out into traffic.

Place always looked like a health hazard and every so often the smell............oh god the smell coming from the place. Sewerage I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

must've been like the eviction scene in District 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

mikemac wrote: »
    Why will there be no return

Vehicles can be seized, especially with customs involved.
    Green diesel attracts big fines, in the thousands
    Demands for VAT can be made and maybe VRT too.

And if CAB are involved, property can be taken and sold off

There will be no return because all that was seized was a few '00 avensis's etc that were being stripped for parts, a couple of shedloads of stripped parts of dubious origin, some horses and possibly 1 jetski.
    The main point is that you could try and take any one of the "residents" of this site to court but they will either have moved on or else have no visible means of support.
    While i really do think that all this illegal trading should be stopped (I am self-employed and finding things very hard nowadays) the chances of today's endeavours being anything more than a PR exercise are minimal.

Remember, this is a big site beside a busy main road that has "flourished" for many, many years. It's not exactly a poteen still up on the side of some mountain ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

krudler wrote: »
    must've been like the eviction scene in District 9
    I'm sure that would cause offence to the aliens in District 9... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Passed it twice this morning , second time round there was a tv crew .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    A big operation but for all the resources used there will be absolutely no return.:confused:

So the authorities of the state should stand idly by and let sites and citizens of the state operate like this one.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

right job for them. some nice flashy new cars always turning in there too....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭JavaBeans

ah sure lets house them now no doubt ! why not,
    money ...here ye go !

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

phog wrote: »
    mgbgt1978 wrote: »

So the authorities of the state should stand idly by and let sites and citizens of the state operate like this one.:confused:

In fairness that's exactly what they've done for the last 20 years or more as far as this particular site is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Damn it! There was me thinking I could use my baseball bat! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What crime family does this site belong too?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

bigpink wrote: »
    What crime family does this site belong too?

As far as I know they are part of the Lucchese family but I'm not certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

L.T.P. wrote: »
    As far as I know they are part of the Lucchese family but I'm not certain.

Almost sure they were the gambino's

catreyn wrote: »
    In fairness that's exactly what they've done for the last 20 years or more as far as this particular site is concerned.

Yes but today they went and did something and I for one am delighted that they did, if they make money from what is confiscated even better if they dont, I really dont mind once they continue to clamp down on the likes of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

phog wrote: »
    catreyn wrote: »

Yes but today they went and did something and I for one am delighted that they did, if they make money from what is confiscated even better if they dont, I really dont mind once they continue to clamp down on the likes of this.

<snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Ok then what traveller crime gang does this site belong?

Hopfully the Casey traveller crime gang will be next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

IIRC they own that site its not a designated one thus the lack of restrictions and barriers on the site.

@Beer Baron try cycling by it on a everyday not even the smell of the mill can cover it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Any chance they found my bike that I naiively locked to the fence there about 17 years ago. A red Raleigh in case anyone from customs is reading.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They'll just go on to the next site and start all over again. If the feds tried to levy taxes, fines etc. they'd be gone like ships in the night.

Depressing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

A lot of people are missing the point here, it is a first in Limerick to have so many agencies working together. It is not just the raid but the follow up, one arrest, vehicles seized, scrap removed and there will be a follow up with checks on SW entitlements being claimed, tax being evaded and green diesel found together with breaches of planning regulations. I think it sends out a firm message to those involved. Well done to all involved lets see more cooperation between state agencies like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Dope on the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ciog52 wrote: »
    A lot of people are missing the point here, it is a first in Limerick to have so many agencies working together. It is not just the raid but the follow up, one arrest, vehicles seized, scrap removed and there will be a follow up with checks on SW entitlements being claimed, tax being evaded and green diesel found together with breaches of planning regulations. I think it sends out a firm message to those involved. Well done to all involved lets see more cooperation between state agencies like this.

Plus it looked bad ass...

Here we go

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/3344-raid-closes-illegal-site.html

I didn't know it was an "unauthorised site". I hope that means that the Council will not have to relocate them but knowing our luck it will cost the council millions in buying them land and putting them in nice plush chalets as well.

Good riddance I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

heard the undercover detectives hung around and found the stash of cash after the main force went, as bossman there went to move it :)

phill106 wrote: »
    heard the undercover detectives hung around and found the stash of cash after the main force went, as bossman there went to move it :)

Either they're excellent undercover guys or the bossman is some clown, surely he'd know his own beofre going for the stash of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Unauthorised site?? Its been there for as long as I can remember!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks for that link Beer Baron.
    Interesting.
    I have for sometime now wondered how rubbish and scrap metal collectors have been able to drive around in brand new cars - talking €20k - €30k cars.
    The ads in the paper (you know the ones in the classifieds section of the post every week where they are claiming to be 70% etc cheaper than each other) are by lads who I have seen driving very expensive cars, specifically Passat CCs and New Golfs.
    I'm not saying they are not making the money honestly but I find it hard to believe they would be paying tax/ foregoing social welfare re their earnings.

I am delighted the revenue etc got involved there now this week and I just hope they continue this campaign and catch some more of them at it.
    It's sad to see people struggling to meet their commitments as citizens with income taxes/ duties/ road tax/ school fees, honouring debts/ mortgages/ not meeting criteria for means testing etc when there are visibly those that don't give a sh*t and are cleaning up in the process (no pun intended).

Mc Love wrote: »
    Unauthorised site?? Its been there for as long as I can remember!

That's what I was surprised by when I read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well I suppose its closure will help improve an approach route into the city!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement