Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade advice

• 05-07-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Soooooo my XL 125 self destructed and I'm back carpooling again - boo!

I'm gonna buy something towards the end of the year and am pouring through the for sale section. I think I have it narrowed down to two bikes. I will be commuting 120 miles a day on it through good weather and bad.

I'm seriously looking at the BMW F800S and the Suzuki DL650.

I'm on a learner permit so will need to have it restricted. Its gonna be mostly motorway driving so comfort, fuel economy, weather protection and easy maintenance will be key.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I recently went from a 125 to a BMW F650gs, the older single cylinder model. Think it fits your criteria too. It handles the restriction very well, still plenty of power, even for the motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

since no has said it i am going to get it out of the way,

You cannot drive on a motorway with a learner permit......

Now since thats out of the way you want a bike that you are comfortable on, as its a lot of riding a decent bit of power is the way to go, it depends on the style you want but i think something like the bmw Rs or the varadaro would be my pick,
    Did you do it on the 125? i would say that was some laugh on a small bike like that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

eurofoxy wrote: »
    since no has said it i am going to get it out of the way,

You cannot drive on a motorway with a learner permit......

^ LMAO!!

go for a busa and out run the gardai, motorway pfft :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭gipi

Before you decide on either of the bikes you mentioned, have you checked that you can get insurance on them (without needing an IMF loan!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catcher1977

Yea, did the commute on the 125. The bike literally self destructed from running it on the redline every day. Good learning experience though!

Will check with the insurance company first, good advice. Although as I'm getting on in years I hope they will be gentle with me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Amateurish

maameeo wrote: »
    ^ LMAO!!

go for a busa and out run the gardai, motorway pfft :pac:
    Absoloutely, ya only need insurance if you crash and if you crash at 140+ you wont be too worried about insurance.:) either way you win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Have you had a chnace ot sit on either the BMW or the V-Strom?

The V-Strom is a tall enough bike AFAIK. You could also look at getting a Bandit S, the one with the bikini fairing.

I commute on one of these, like you, in all weather and mostly on motorways and have never had an issue on it. I get about 280 kilometers from a tank of petrol, doesn't chew through the chains or tyres either.

Advertisement