Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing apps without code?

Options
  • 05-07-2011 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi all

I wish to develop an app mainly for use on ipad and iphone but i have no idea about coding. I'm fairly decent with design. I was wondering was there any way of developing these apps without having to use coding, like a moonfruit for apps type thing?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'm not sure if a "moonfruit for apps type thing" would really work as it would rely upon 'templating' and I'm not sure if you can really template apps - or if you could, what 'template' are you looking for?

You might take a look at Google App Inventor for Android. Not exactly code-free, but graphically attempts to simplify the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I'm fairly decent with design.

If by design you mean html and javascript etc you could always use http://www.phonegap.com/.

Phonegap takes an HTML5 web app and puts it in a nice container so that it feels like an iPhone or Android app etc. You can even submit the resulting app to the app store (AFAIK you will need to have to use a Mac if submitting iOS apps) or android market.

Phonegap can even access the camera and gps api of the target device.

I have never used it myself but it would be an easy way for a web designer to deploy their ideas to mobile platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

something like Illumination Sw creator ?? awesome app, can now be got for $5 in a pay what you want promotion

http://radicalbreeze.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

To be honest you would be as quick to pick up a my first app book. Most of the code principles for your standard applications aren't that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 0vertone

If making mobile apps was easy then everyone would be doing it. If your absolutely new to even the concepts of web technologies or any programming. Your better off picking up a book.

Even if there was a magic fix all app (in which case there would be no need for developers) as soon as something went wrong with it, If you had no programming background then you would have no way to diagnose or fix it and be stuck with a broken app.

This message isn't meant to discourage though. Making basic apps is very doable for those with patience. And if its browser based then the difficulty curve is significantly dropped.

grab a book on html and CSS. They'll teach you how to build a website. Then you can take a look at how it looks on a phone vs standard computer. You'll immediately gain a lot of know how on the limitations of phones that way. Once you can create a simple website with decent structure, grab a javascript book.

Javascript is very simple to use and very versatile for web apps. Its a great language to start with.

iPwnage wrote: »
    something like Illumination Sw creator ?? awesome app, can now be got for $5 in a pay what you want promotion

http://radicalbreeze.com/

One of the creators of that (Bryan lunduke i think) has a show on jupiterbroadcasting called the linux action show. You might like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

0vertone wrote: »

One of the creators of that (Bryan lunduke i think) has a show on jupiterbroadcasting called the linux action show. You might like it.
    ya i catch it every sunday !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Html, css,php etc tend to be a bit easier to pick up than objective c, so would something like feedhenry suit you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

leahcim wrote: »
    If by design you mean html and javascript etc you could always use http://www.phonegap.com/.

Phonegap takes an HTML5 web app and puts it in a nice container so that it feels like an iPhone or Android app etc. You can even submit the resulting app to the app store (AFAIK you will need to have to use a Mac if submitting iOS apps) or android market.

Phonegap can even access the camera and gps api of the target device.

I have never used it myself but it would be an easy way for a web designer to deploy their ideas to mobile platforms.

I made a simple application a while ago in PhoneGap to evaluate it. It does its job well however there was a lot of difference between what system api were supported across the different devices which was irritating.

In addition now that you are using web technologies all the bollocks of having to do css hacks and the like to make stuff work is involved.

Advertisement