Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wonderful cabbage, what to do with it ??

Options
  • 05-07-2011 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

We have loads of green cabbage
    Simple what can i do with it
    bacon and cabbage ok
    fried cabbage ok
    what else :P
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I regularly use cabbage (and any other greens in season) in stir fries and Thai curries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Dolmades is a Greek dish - I think you stuff the cabbage leaves with a minced meat mixture of some sort - traditionally I think they use vine leaves but you can substitute cabbage leaves. Google it for a recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Somewhere on this forum Minder posted a recipe once for a sausage and cabbage casserole dish, layering sausage meat with shredded cabbage. It's bloody marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I made this last night for dinner, very tasty

http://lukehoney.typepad.com/the_greasy_spoon/2009/01/savoy-cabbage-and-bacon-gratin.html

Something a bit different. I didn't blanch the cabbage just fried it off in the pan with the rashers and onion and garlic, then put it all into a dish, poured in the cream and covered with breadcrumbs and cheese,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

That recipe looks great! Something new to do with cabbage!

I like...I forget what they are call! Omg, Im getting old. I had them as maultaschen but they are not. Ill look them up.

Its stuffed cabbage anyway! Sauté off onion, garlic rosemary, sage and thyme. Add the minced meat - usually a mix of pork and beef - brown off. You can add veggies to this mix if you wish - I usually sneak in some diced carrot and use a swede puree to bind it. Celeriac puree if you want a sweeter package.

Blanch the cabbage leaves whole. Lay flat on Clingfilm when warm. Lay cling on top. Leave to cool - I pop them in the fridge. Naughty but quick.

Place cabbage on flat counter. Top layer of cling off. Place a good hand of mix in the middle and then much like the sequence for puff pastry, wrap the four side on top of each other dso that a nice firm parcel is formed. I know one chef who ties them with leek green - handy tip I think.

What you can do then is wrap the bottom cling around the cabbage, store them in the freezer if you wish or cook them straightaway. I pop the clinged parcels into simmering water and finish in the oven. I have a peculiar taste for slightly singed cabbage - I attribute this to Madchefs sister. Another story another day, but it involves a fine roast of pork!

Delicious!

Hill Billy wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Stir fry cabbage with diced cooking chorizo, add a little garlic and a drained tin of cannellini beans. One pot supper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sweetheart(York) is the best for stir frys. I recommend Savoy for Bacon and Cabbage and if the OP has Celtic cabbage feed it to the pigs.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Inspired by a post on here, I once made a lasagne using cabbage rather than lasagne.
    It was nice, if I recall correctly.

Probably not much use to the OP, but...

A non-cooking-related use is for new mothers who may have tender breasts due to lactation after childbirth - insert cabbage leaves (that have been chilled in the fridge) into the cups in their bra. The cooling effect of the leaves apparently is quite soothing.

(So I have been told... Ahem! :o)

• Advertisement

A non-cooking-related use is for new mothers who may have tender breasts due to lactation after childbirth - insert cabbage leaves (that have been chilled in the fridge) into the cups in their bra. The cooling effect of the leaves apparently is quite soothing.

A brassica, if you will !!!!:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's very true. Apparently there's an enzyme in cabbage that reduces inflammation - on other body parts too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

chop cabbage into small pieces and in the pan have two spoons of butter and add some water and add cabbage season with some salt and lots of pepper. cover with lid. keep an eye and add some more water if needed and pepper (varies according to taste) at the end add some cream if you wish but absolutely fab and you can have it with any meal and tastes even nicer the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

I love cabbage done in the pan with some butter and the juice of an orange squeezed into it, cooked until nearly all the juice is gone and loads of black pepper added.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you have a deep fryer, whack a load of sliced cabbage in until it goes crispy and then pour some soy sauce over it. Tastes lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Shred Savoy cabbage into strips and stir fry in butter and salt and nothing else, but not for too long or it will lose its handsome bright green colour. You don't want it to go completely 'limp', the crispness and taste is delicious!

How bizzarre. What cabbage do you suggest for this? The deep fried one.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=23885.0

Cabbage link. google image cabbage clothes - cool pics :)

Deep fried shredded cabbage aka chinese crispy seaweed. Usually bok choy leaves or spring greens. Maybe Jassha will post a recipe on the Chinese Recipes thread. Although shred cabbage and deep fry isn't much of a recipe;)

Yah, I imagines sitting down to a plate of crispy cabbage. That does nothing for me. I hate nori with a passion, I despise spinach so anything that reminds me of them (which this did, don’t ask me how). Im not a fan of Chinese at all. Id never think to cook it at home. Id be more the bacon and york cabbage cooked in the bacon stock, parsley or mustard sauce, my supermash (roosters....obviously) and if Im feelign energetic, a turnip gratin.

Are you a chef Minder?

maryk123 wrote: »
    chop cabbage into small pieces and in the pan have two spoons of butter and add some water and add cabbage season with some salt and lots of pepper. cover with lid. keep an eye and add some more water if needed and pepper (varies according to taste) at the end add some cream if you wish but absolutely fab and you can have it with any meal and tastes even nicer the next day.

change the water to white wine and it's even nicer!

• Advertisement

Id be more the bacon and york cabbage cooked in the bacon stock, parsley or mustard sauce, my supermash (roosters....obviously) and if Im feelign energetic, a turnip gratin.

Well since you put it like that, I think the deep fried cabbage would lose every time. :D
    Are you a chef Minder?

No, not a chef.

Enthusiastic amateur, I like to think. My friends and family would probably use words like obsessed and addicted.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Make a fermenter and make Kapusta / Sauerkraut / Zuurkool for later in the year.
    Great with hotdogs and fried mince dishes

Advertisement