Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Out - Budget?

• 05-07-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Was here a few weeks ago and made some enquires, so thank you for all the help. Moving on from that, would this sequence be about right?

Theory Test
    Learner Permit
    IBT
    Test

Now, I'd like to make an investment in this, both in gear and the bike, so that I can get the most value for money. I'm told 250cc and up really is the way to go, would that be about right? I'm male,21, 6ft 4" so a 125cc would be a little underpowered for myself. The Ninja 250 kept coming up in conversations, any other recommendations? Is the Ninja a good bike for the test?

I'd be looking for sports bike for a commute to college. I have a car but a bike would be a real bonus.

Besides the €800 or so on lessons and the IBT, how much would I realistically be looking at for a decent bike, gear and insurance? I'm a firm believer in buying the best possible, no cheap skate gear so thats a consideration here.

EDIT: Bikeworld are currently doing a deal for a new Ninja 250R with the IBT for around €5500. Is that a good deal?

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

6'4"! F*ck!

OK, some advice I would give a friend:

Don't spend a fortune on your first bike. Assume you'll drop it at least once so don't bother with a faired bike to lose your virginity.

IMO a good starter bike is between a Hornet 250cc and a restricted Bandit/Hornet 600cc (and anything in between such as the Honda Bros).

These bikes are easy to find and there are always a good few for sale at any time.

Glad to hear you thought about gear! Most beginners forget to budget for it... Now, regarding safety gear, higher cost doesn't necessarily mean better protection. For example, I'd never buy an Arai helmet as they are not as good as cheaper helmets (I'm a huge Shark fan myself). As for the clothes, stick to textiles such as Richa or Alpinestars. Leather is great but more expensive and not great in the rain...

Invest in lessons and don't be afraid to ask LOADS of questions and for help, especially when choosing a bike to spend your hard earned cash on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thank you for the advice Steffano2002.

If you had to pluck a figure from the sky, what would be your best estimate from nothing beginner to full license? Including everything in-between. So far I'm seeing about €6000, which is a little out of the league for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice Steffano2002.

If you had to pluck a figure from the sky, what would be your best estimate from nothing beginner to full license? Including everything in-between. So far I'm seeing about €6000, which is a little out of the league for the moment.
    Can be done an awful lot cheaper. There are lot of decent bikes out there for around €2000. Lets say around 900 for insurance, 75 for tax and 500 for ibt. Add in fees for booking tests and such and you're at around €4000.

I'd advise against the ninja. Apparently they're a great bike but you're far too big to be comfortable on it. At 21 you'll have trouble insuring a bigger sportsbike, would you consider starting on a different style of bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm 6'4" too and I started out on an F1 restricted Bandit 600 a couple of years ago. The only advice I'll give you is that you'll get as much amenity out of the likes of this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2308306 as much as a new bike. Factory restricted bigger cc bikes are defo the way to go if you can. Also, get your grade 2 as part of the deal with the IBT- it'll really help the insurance. If possible, do all your training and assessments on school bikes prior to actively seeking insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm 6'4" too and I started out on an F1 restricted Bandit 600 a couple of years ago. The only advice I'll give you is that you'll get as much amenity out of the likes of this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2308306 as much as a new bike. Factory restricted bigger cc bikes are defo the way to go if you can. Also, get your grade 2 as part of the deal with the IBT- it'll really help the insurance. If possible, do all your training and assessments on school bikes prior to actively seeking insurance.

+1

OP I doubt you'd be comfortable on a 250 Ninja. Since you mentioned Bikeworld head over there or Tallaght Superbike and sit on bikes to see what you feel comfortable on, then factor in a few hours in this position. As said stick between 250/600 and insurance shouldn't be too bad.

For gear head over to Cotters as he's cheap and open to haggling, but you need to do a lot of rummaging.

Whatever about the helmet you buy, get your head measured and the try on several brands till you get a good fit. A helmet is useless if it doesn't fit your head properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i was in this situation about a year ago, i dont have the exact figure but i think including my restricted cbr 600 ibt decent gear and a very good helmet its came in at just over 3K.....i think am not sure but if i remember my budget was 3K and it came in slightly over that...

But since then i have done lots of things such as new armour for the gear, changed a few things on the bike and have gotten a new ninja 250 instead of the cbr...

I would say go to cotters try the ninja first, its a small ish bike i am 5,9" and it fits nicely.. as for the gear and helmets do the same go and try stuff on find the one that fits the best then try different styles from that brand, i think i must have tried 50-60 helmets on before i found my X-lite....
    I went for some all weather textile gore-tex 2 piece suit, it fits snugly but allows me to move, when you are trying on the gear watch for things like sleeve lentgth and pants length, most brands will have long, short and normal pants but i am not sure about sleeves but make sure that it fits not standing up but sitting, so try on some geear then sit on a bike to check!

Thats why going to cotters is sound advice, the lads there will be more than happy to help and will talk you through the basics, go during the week and not at lunch time or so when it wont be too busy and you will be able to get the most from it.

Thank you for all the advice folks. When I did the sums and €6000 cropped up, I almost shelved the whole project. I know good gear costs money, but there does come a point where I have to be realistic. Its worth doing right if I do it at all.

As regards bikes, I'm not the boy racer type but I do prefer the look of the a sports bike. Its not a vanity thing, but theres no point driving something I don't like. What is the general consensus for taller people on sports bikes? Are there particular brands or models more suited? The reason I was looking at the Ninja 250R was purely it came up the most in any thread I uncovered about starting out.

So would you generally agree its better to get from starting out to just before the test without buying a bike? Or even go as far as to sit the test on a school bike? Purely buy the safety gear? Then after the test make an investment in the bike and insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thank you for all the advice folks. When I did the sums and €6000 cropped up, I almost shelved the whole project. I know good gear costs money, but there does come a point where I have to be realistic. Its worth doing right if I do it at all.

About 1k on gear is good. It should last about two years of constant use with some minor upkeep. You will need somewhere in collage to put it also, full pants/jacket and boots takes up loads of space. And never go out without the gear. One slip can lead to a skin graft and a lifetime of pain without it.

As said before, a decent starter bike can be had for 2k. One thing to keep in mind, upkeep on a bike is a bastard. Tires have to be changed anywhere between 4 to 20k depending on the model, servicing is best done every 6 months or 8k kilometers. Constant oil top ups, chain maintenance. Then simple things like fork seals, head stock bearings, new sprockets, chains themselves.

When you find yourself doing a fair bit of mileage it really starts to add up. Thats something that should be accounted for.
    As regards bikes, I'm not the boy racer type but I do prefer the look of the a sports bike. Its not a vanity thing, but theres no point driving something I don't like. What is the general consensus for taller people on sports bikes? Are there particular brands or models more suited? The reason I was looking at the Ninja 250R was purely it came up the most in any thread I uncovered about starting out.

The ninja is too small for 6'4. You would be too cramped around the knees and your perineum would have too much weight placed on it because of your leg position. Its a nice bike, just not suited for big people.

As for sports bikes, your choice. I would say pick up a naked or half naked bike, since you will drop it. Fairings(the plastic around the outside) cost a small fortune and you risk the chance of replacing them with each drop. On top of that, take any sports orientated bike and ask for a insurance quote compared to a similar engine non sports bike. The difference is unreal.
    So would you generally agree its better to get from starting out to just before the test without buying a bike? Or even go as far as to sit the test on a school bike? Purely buy the safety gear? Then after the test make an investment in the bike and insurance?

Nah, buy it all. The license test and any graded certs can be applied retroactively to your insurance for the remain period. I paid 1300 on a 650cc first year, had it reduced by 300 for achieving a grade 2 three months in. Paid 700 the next year, on 450 this year.

Thanks Cuddlesworth. More great advice. Thank you.

Can anyone recommend a bike for the taller gent? Cruisers, Choppers etc are out. So its really down to Sports bikes, or is it?

Can anyone recommend a bike for the taller gent? Cruisers, Choppers etc are out. So its really down to Sports bikes, or is it?
    Not at all. There are a world of different bikes out there:
    Mine!
    photo0001d.jpg
    Supermoto:
    KTM%20640%20Duke%20II%2099%20%201.jpg
    Naked:
    bandit600s.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROcwE6Bmc6aSdHa65jPfD4rRmmk6miAGHPJPxXH-CrIk-k4wMlCg&t=1
    Tourer:
    Honda_Deauville_st4pz.jpg

Or, better yet, buy KamiKazi's sv!
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2267864

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Or, better yet, buy KamiKazi's sv!
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2267864

"Looking to sell quick as I'm leaving the country!"

Me Bollocks you are.

The one thing I'll say about your choice of bike is that you will have a perspective of someone on the outside looking in. You'll be surprised how much your tastes will evolve as you become a biker. I know people suggested to me that adventure bikes are suited to us lanky bikers. I hated them with a passion when I was a noob. Now, I'd love one.

It isn't impossible that if you got something you love today, you'll end up hating or vice versa. There is a huge element of 'suck it and see'. A lot of cruisers are suited to taller riders. I think a small engine sports bike is realistically a bridge too far from a comfort point of view, not mention the vanity issue of realising you might look like an eejit on it :D If you are determined to have a sports bike, I really recommend you sit on absolutely every one you can get your hands on because they actually do vary quite a bit in terms of riding position in subtle but crucial ways.

"Looking to sell quick as I'm leaving the country!"

Me Bollocks you are.
    Hadn't even read that! Where you heading Kami? :p

Thanks again for the advice folks. I have the heart set on a Sports / Naked bike though. I just don't think any of the rest would suit me. Africa Twin and that style is definitely out for me. The SuperMoto is a maybe.

I think my height is going to be a problem though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Thanks again for the advice folks. I have the heart set on a Sports / Naked bike though. I just don't think any of the rest would suit me. Africa Twin and that style is definitely out for me. The SuperMoto is a maybe.

I think my height is going to be a problem though!
    I'm just short of 6'2 and am looking for a bike myself. I might be laughed out of it by those in the know for suggesting this site. I think it gives an (albeit vague) idea of how you would appear on a certain bike.

Just slap in the make, model and your stats and presto. :pac:

Africa Twin and that style is definitely out for me.
    For now, you'll soon realise how wrong you were!

I'm just short of 6'2 and am looking for a bike myself. I might be laughed out of it by those in the know for suggesting this site. I think it gives an (albeit vague) idea of how you would appear on a certain bike.

Just slap in the make, model and your stats and presto. :pac:

Thats a good link and looks half reasonable. Thanks for that.

Suppose we'll see. But I'm not a fan of the dirt bike style. Maybe the SuperMoto end of things but not much more than that. However given that sportsbikes are almost out of the picture given my height, we'll have to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Would you consider something like the Hyosung GT250R? If you're adamant on something sporty size-wise they're on par with most other 600+ sport bikes. Comparing that to the Ninja (especially on that site I posted) shows a pretty significant difference.

They're pretty cheap on donedeal too. Now whether that's for a good reason I don't know.

This is what 'acquiring taste' is all about. As soon as you get into biking, you'll start seeing the merit and slowly begin changing your mind. You can buy me a coke when you do!

Thanks folks. Are there any brands that I should avoid? I know thats a hot topic in motors, but I'd appreciate any advice. I know gear is generally ok owing to CE marks and the safety standards, but when it comes to the actual bikes are there makes I should avoid for whatever reason?

• Advertisement
Advertisement