Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar work in ny

• 05-07-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭

What is the bar work like over there. Is there much work this area. I was a supervisior in the last night I worked in and enjoyed it.

Can you get a visa too work in this area

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Don't know about bar work specific to NY, but I can tell you there is no visa for bar work, unless you qualify for a J1 (and at the same time are old enough to work in a bar).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

cena wrote: »
    What is the bar work like over there. Is there much work this area. I was a supervisior in the last night I worked in and enjoyed it.

Can you get a visa too work in this area

A lot of bars in NY will be VERY selective of who they hire and having bar experience in Ireland is pretty much worthless unless you happen to know somebody who runs a paddy bar. Most people start bar backing in a place and work their way up to bartender. Don't forget bar tending is a high paying profession in New York and thus the standard is way higher than home. A good bartender can pick up the nuances if trained but getting this training is very difficult as NY is full of highly qualified bartenders with years of NYC experience so as I said unless you have a connection, you pretty much haven't got a chance. Also as above poster said, the J1 summer student visa is pretty much the only visa that allows you to work in this industry afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

DeadMoney wrote: »
    A lot of bars in NY will be VERY selective of who they hire and having bar experience in Ireland is pretty much worthless unless you happen to know somebody who runs a paddy bar. Most people start bar backing in a place and work their way up to bartender. Don't forget bar tending is a high paying profession in New York and thus the standard is way higher than home. A good bartender can pick up the nuances if trained but getting this training is very difficult as NY is full of highly qualified bartenders with years of NYC experience so as I said unless you have a connection, you pretty much haven't got a chance. Also as above poster said, the J1 summer student visa is pretty much the only visa that allows you to work in this industry afaik.

What is bar backing? Never heard of this term.
    Also do you not need a bartender license too work in a bar over there.
    Have a cousins husband too is opening a restaurant/bar. I may just ask them want are the chances too getting a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

What is bar backing? Never heard of this term.
    Also do you not need a bartender license too work in a bar over there.
    Have a cousins husband too is opening a restaurant/bar. I may just ask them want are the chances too getting a job.

Bar backing is stocking, getting ice, washing glasses, basically ensuring the bar is stocked so that the bartenders can focus on the customers. They usually get a portion of the tips for the bartenders but do not make near as much. Also you do realize that if you work in a bar over there (unless you are on a J1 visa) you will be illegal. No offence but this isn't the 90's and they are very strict on this nowadays. Most people don't want to hire people who are not legal for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Even if your cousin's husband wants to give you a job he can't sponsor you for a visa - bartending simply doesn't qualify.

• Advertisement

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Bar backing is stocking, getting ice, washing glasses, basically ensuring the bar is stocked so that the bartenders can focus on the customers. They usually get a portion of the tips for the bartenders but do not make near as much. Also you do realize that if you work in a bar over there (unless you are on a J1 visa) you will be illegal. No offence but this isn't the 90's and they are very strict on this nowadays. Most people don't want to hire people who are not legal for obvious reasons.

Ya I do know I would be there illegal. I never said I would be going over illegal.
    Even if your cousin's husband wants to give you a job he can't sponsor you for a visa - bartending simply doesn't qualify.

They have said they would look into getting ous too move over. He is very up his job working in a big bank over there and she is very high in her job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

They have said they would look into getting ous too move over. He is very up his job working in a big bank over there and she is very high in her job.
    I know this is what you don't want to hear but

1) Aunts/uncles/cousins are not close enough relatives for family sponsorship.

2) For job related visas your job must qualify for a visa, at a minimum it must be a job where is degree required for the job. It doesn't matter how big their jobs are, it's the job you would be getting that matters for employment related sponsorship.

If they are rich enough to give you $500,000 then an investment visa might be a runner.

I know this is what you don't want to hear but

1) Aunts/uncles/cousins are not close enough relatives for family sponsorship.

2) For job related visas your job must qualify for a visa, at a minimum it must be a job where is degree required for the job. It doesn't matter how big their jobs are, it's the job you would be getting that matters for employment related sponsorship.

If they are rich enough to give you $500,000 then an investment visa might be a runner.

I know all the above. As for the very last thing. Yes they are rich enough too do that if they wanted.

If only I can get the numbers for the euro millions on friday and win.

I'v a question have a friend the went on a j1 about 4 years ago and she has never came back. i thought the visa was for one yr. She went over too work in bars and it had not thing too do with what she did in college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I'v a question have a friend the went on a j1 about 4 years ago and she has never came back. i thought the visa was for one yr. She went over too work in bars and it had not thing too do with what she did in college

Actually, four years ago I think they only had the short term J1 visas (go to work as anything- such as barwork- in the USA for the summer holidays or similar), not the one year one. But I could be wrong on that. Your friend definitely didn't stay 4 years on the J1 visa. She may have gone illegal, or converted to a F1 (student) visa, or found an employer who, once she graduated, petitioned for a work visa for her. Ask her.

silja wrote: »
    Actually, four years ago I think they only had the short term J1 visas (go to work as anything- such as barwork- in the USA for the summer holidays or similar), not the one year one. But I could be wrong on that. Your friend definitely didn't stay 4 years on the J1 visa. She may have gone illegal, or converted to a F1 (student) visa, or found an employer who, once she graduated, petitioned for a work visa for her. Ask her.

Thank you. She was finished college the year she went over. She had a cousin that went over tiling and couldn't come back till last Christmas till he get his visa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Currently in NY and finding jobs is very tough. Been here a month and have been to countless interviews, but still nothing. All bars/cafes/restaurants want 2-4 years of NY experience, not just working down your local!

Advertisement