Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Achill

Options
  • 05-07-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Planning on going to Achill this weekend with a few friends and was wondering if anyone could tell me which are the best pubs?
    We're staying in Keel but what I can see there is only one pub in Keel - The Annexe - is this right?
    If so, are there taxis available to bring us back to keel if we decided to go to another village on the island?
    Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HelenaF

Hi Corryworry,

See links below from Achill Tourism website which hopefully should be of some help to you. Re. Taxi link below, forget the ones for Clare Island :rolleyes: Try these for nights out - Manus T. Kilcoyne, O'Riordan Hackney, Paul McLoughlin and Achill Tours. Gielty's Clew Bay pub in Dooagh (about 2.5 miles west of Keel) offers a free bus trip home to its customers. There is one other pub in Keel called The Minaun Bar which is close to the Caravan Park and they usually have a singer/band at week-ends while The Annex usually has traditional music.

http://www.achilltourism.com/pubs.html

http://www.achilltourism.com/motor.html

Enjoy your stay!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

corryworry wrote: »
    Planning on going to Achill this weekend with a few friends and was wondering if anyone could tell me which are the best pubs?
    We're staying in Keel but what I can see there is only one pub in Keel - The Annexe - is this right?
    If so, are there taxis available to bring us back to keel if we decided to go to another village on the island?

these are a few miles away from keel and you need to book a taxi to get there and back.

one pub you should visit is lynotts pub which is a small pub in a thatch house, no tv , no modern stuff at all and usually and good sing song and tradition music if that's what your into.

also pure luck for you as well but Teds lavelles pub in cashel is celebrating 60 years in business so a good crowd should be expected there saturday night.

anything else let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

That's great guys thanks! Will def make a trip to Ted Lavelle's pub so, should be a bit of craic.
    Have any pubs on the island got a late license?

That's great guys thanks! Will def make a trip to Ted Lavelle's pub so, should be a bit of craic.
    Have any pubs on the island got a late license?

not officially :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The_Raker

Lynotts pub as far as I can remember is about 2 miles from Lavelles pub.Its on the right hand side heading towards Keel.Well worth visiting great atmosphere and excellent guinness.
    PS I have absolutely no connection with pub but as you can see from post I was
    relly smitten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 The_Raker

Sorry should have said its on the left hand side heading towards Keel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

The_Raker wrote: »
    Lynotts pub as far as I can remember is about 2 miles from Lavelles pub.Its on the right hand side heading towards Keel.Well worth visiting great atmosphere and excellent guinness.
    relly smitten.

No where near 2 miles, i'd say just less than a mile. Still wouldint like to be walking it in heels though :D

Edit: It is a great spot for a bit of craic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

The_Raker wrote: »
    relly smitten.

lynotts is a good spot! nice food too! you cant miss it... theres not a whole lot in achill!

lynotts is a good spot! nice food too! you cant miss it... theres not a whole lot in achill!

Food..... In Lynotts? Food in some bars yes, but not Lynotts unless you hit them on a charity curry night or something.
    AFAIK

theres not a whole lot in achill!

That there be fighting talk :p (though i'd tend to agree with you LOL)

themadchef wrote: »
    Food..... In Lynotts? Food in some bars yes, but not Lynotts unless you hit them on a charity curry night or something.
    AFAIK

i was thinking the same thing, i was going how did i miss the food in lynotts all this time.

• Advertisement

so how did you like achill and what pubs did you visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

irishgeo wrote: »
    so how did you like achill and what pubs did you visit?
    I loved Achill! Had a fantastic weekend and we were so lucky with the weather. The facilities in Keel Caravan and Camping are outstanding, so clean and well run.
    Fell in love with Keem beach, we came across it by accident, was terrified by the mountain drive to it :o but it was well worth it :D
    We ended up doing most of our beverage consuming at the campsite so got lazy and only got as far as Minaun (spelling?) View bar just near the campsite. Nice pub, music was OK.
    I'll definatly be back to Keel to camp so we'll have to try out Lynott's and Ted Lavelle's the next time.
    Thanks 4 all your help guys.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the achill head is great and night club beside it, the annex is a bit of a dive tbh as in the minaun. lordie's further up is a great great spot too

the achill head is great and night club beside it, the annex is a bit of a dive tbh as in the minaun. lordie's further up is a great great spot too

Bit harsh imo, each has its own charms. Annex is great for a trad session and ive always found it great craic. The Minaun is huge and lots of space and live bands and right beside the caravan park. Lourdies is lovely and relaxed atmosphere, off the beaten track that is Keel.

The Head is mental this time of year with young wans and the nightclub :D, busy with live bands too.

Everyone finds different things to both like dislike about any pub, Achill or elsewhere. So long as they are clean and tidy, not being raped for the drink, bit of music, bit of craic, and not too sharp on time then im easily pleased! :D

Advertisement