Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford TD`s vote for Water Charges

• 05-07-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I think this went kinda un-noticed:

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/06/16/00008.asp

Deasy and Coffey voted for the introduction of water charges. It appears Halligan and Conway didn`t bother their arses to turn up!

I don`t know about you but I would certainally expect my local TD`s to turn up for a vote on a major policy issue that will effect everyone in the country not only their local constituency.

I think we made a big mistake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

Shur look I'm sure everyone will gladly pay all the new taxes coming down the line, can't ever see them waking up ....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well, whats the proposal if they cant bring in taxes? Regardless of what tax is brought in, people will complain. A lot of EU countries have water charges and I think this particular tax is going towards, and only towards, the water network anyway.

Lads, lets face it. We are ****ed and we will be getting a lot of taxes and cuts down the line. Everyone was told it wouldn't be easy and its never going to be when your effectively bankrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Sully ALL of EU countries have water charges, except the ould Emerald Ilse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

An econmist from dublin stated during the week on radio that"it will take up to 2 years for the state to recouprate the cost of installing water meter´s in the first place ,(purchase,labour,etc)"this mean´s no benifit to the state for 2 year´s ?.He suggested we look at the American system,where they sell investment bond´s in their water system generating instant revenue and thus improving the service. I think this Government in their misplaced zest to try and please EMF have not thought this through as will happen in all section´s of our bailout for year´s to come.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

An econmist from dublin stated during the week on radio that"it will take up to 2 years for the state to recouprate the cost of installing water meter´s in the first place ,(purchase,labour,etc)"this mean´s no benifit to the state for 2 year´s ?.He suggested we look at the American system,where they sell investment bond´s in their water system generating instant revenue and thus improving the service. I think this Government in their misplaced zest to try and please EMF have not thought this through as will happen in all section´s of our bailout for year´s to come.

Long term however the water charges is a better money maker and you have to remember they need long term finances to replace the money spinner which was houses.

Bonds might give money upfront but water charges is best long term and we need long term solutions

• Advertisement

They could start by kickin the imf to touch..
    Water has been free for generations and can stay that way, they could save millions by stopping the addition of toxic sodium flouride into it straight away...

Back to the op chickening out of the vote is worse than goin with it....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Look at the state of our water supply. Ill gladly pay for its improvement, just like our european counterparts.

Don't blame the current government for the IMF, blame the last. At least the current crowd are doing a better job. Nobody else is offering any alternative so we haven't much else to compare to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

MoodRacer wrote: »
    I think this went kinda un-noticed:

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/06/16/00008.asp

Deasy and Coffey voted for the introduction of water charges. It appears Halligan and Conway didn`t bother their arses to turn up!

I don`t know about you but I would certainally expect my local TD`s to turn up for a vote on a major policy issue that will effect everyone in the country not only their local constituency.

I think we made a big mistake.
    Your beloved party didn't get any publicity over this because it was Private Members Business. Nice to see that you come on here over a month later to try and drum up some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Already pay for my own water but i'm sure they'll find someway of hitting me twice.

Already pay for my own water but i'm sure they'll find someway of hitting me twice.

How so? Business owner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

Sully wrote: »
    Look at the state of our water supply. Ill gladly pay for its improvement, just like our european counterparts.

Don't blame the current government for the IMF, blame the last. At least the current crowd are doing a better job. Nobody else is offering any alternative so we haven't much else to compare to.
    you reap what you sow sully..people voted in those clowns.

the very same as the latest clowns were voted in.

How so? Business owner?

Nope one mile outside city boundary but council don't run pipes down this backroad. Drilled our own borehole out the back. Probably costs about €300 annually to treat/maintain after intial layout. Biggest nuisance is no water when we get power cuts. What are we expecting charges to be, €200 per year?

you reap what you sow sully..people voted in those clowns.

the very same as the latest clowns were voted in.
    This crowd are clown´s,the last crowd were dishonest liar´s and should at the very least be stripped of their pension´s if not their liberty.

I agree if the revenue collected is reinvested into the water service,but somehow i am not hopeful,for example at our current rate of motor tax our road´s should be paved of gold but alas.

If anyone thinks water rates are for the supply they are naieve, all of it will be used to pay off 9billion interest/profits for the trioca's loans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

My stance on a water charge has softened only a small bit, I realise that nearly all other EU countries pay for it. However, in a country with an abundance of water, rains every second day, loads of rivers, surrounded by it, I see little need to charge for it as it is a capital cost mainly.

I do however accept that we need to get a more predictable level of tax income in. Water charges is a ( I dont want to say reasonable) way to do this. We all know that they need to cut the expenditure as a priority
    1. the over-inflated, under effecttive public service
    2. the ridiculous amount of quangos (people dont know the half of em)
    3. Social welfare unfortunatley needs to be cut back (its one of our biggest spenders)
    4. Health (another one of our biggest spenders and under-effective, under-efficient)

People need to know, our deficit still is something crazy like 20 billion (dont quote me on that) so we are effectively spending 20 billion more than we get in every year, its unsustainable, we are borrowing money (EU,IMF) to pay for the current expenditure, it cant go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Over 1 BILLION EURO is spent annually on providing clean drinking water to the population.
    At the moment all non-domestic users, such as businesses and schools, are paying for water.

Local Authorities' income has practically disappeared due to the drop in development levies.

of course sinn fein and others will jump and down and complain about service charges etc, but I have only one question for them---

In Northern Ireland, (where sinn fein are in Govt and run numerous councils) how much do households pay in Council Taxes every year??????

Councils are part of the over inflated public service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I will not pay water charges and I'm old enough to remember the last time they tryed to but off peoples water, we drove them back up Paddy Brownes Road and I'll do the same again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

the water tax will happen and I do agree with it in theory, however it will push people over the edge. We have always paid for our water indirectly so this will be double taxation, it will start at X amount and increase at every opportunity, prop ably we'll end up having to privatise out system as ours banks drag us deeper and deeper.
    We're on a slippy slope down and the extra tax should only be brought in as a short measure with a 4/5 year review by an independent group not by the parasites and their cronies, inc politicians, unions and employers who together have brought the country to their knees

• Advertisement

200motels wrote: »
    I will not pay water charges and I'm old enough to remember the last time they tryed to but off peoples water, we drove them back up Paddy Brownes Road and I'll do the same again.

T'will be no bother spot ya , with the smell off of you when they cut off your water for a few weeks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I always find it amusing that people see no problem wasting water in their homes, they think nothing of their usage and many have a massive issue about paying money for this utlity.

However these same people will go into a shop and pay 1e+ for a bottle of water (avg of 500ml) that is no better then the water they get from their tap and yet they'll willingly do it.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I always find it amusing that people see no problem wasting water in their homes, they think nothing of their usage and many have a massive issue about paying money for this utlity.

However these same people will go into a shop and pay 1e+ for a bottle of water (avg of 500ml) that is no better then the water they get from their tap and yet they'll willingly do it.

Which is dearer than petrol!!!! it is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

DjBryn wrote: »
    Shur look I'm sure everyone will gladly pay all the new taxes coming down the line, can't ever see them waking up ....
    200motels wrote: »

Go wan we,ll be right behind ya ready for the revolution. There's more feckin water in Eire than any other resource so why ye have to pay for it is beyond me. I pay 90 dollars per quarter in NJ for ours! Maybe I can chase our fookers up Paddy Browns Road too!

chelloveks wrote: »
    There's more feckin water in Eire than any other resource so why ye have to pay for it is beyond me.

Water and potable water are very different things, also if people just used it for drinking we'd have loads but its the 1,000's of other uses that uses so much water. Washing your car, clothes, dishes, yourself, heating systems, cooling systems, power generation, sanitation etc etc etc.

All these uses and the need to get water to where its needed as well as making sure its clean costs money, so while there may be loads of water in Kerry for example this isn't much good to people in Dublin.

In short 71% of this planet is water but that doesn't mean we can all drink it nor does it mean everyone gets the benefit of it,

Look at Spain -- they cant drink the water, yet they still have Water Charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

also a pity they let 100,000+ houses be built and countlless renovated without a mention of water harvesting or conservation let alone taxes, as far as anyone was concerned like everything is all grand, then turn around and call 40 litres a day as generous, and we cant blame FF and who controlled the councils.
    Why didnt the councils build this in when they were firing out planning permissions left right and centre

I think they can Sully :) us tourists wont

rasper wrote: »
    Why didnt the councils build this in when they were firing out planning permissions left right and centre

Like anybody they won't do it unless they have to, because there was no legislation they didn't consider this

The lack of legislation can of course be blamed on FF but it can alsobe blamed on the numerous other partys and governments before FF, people are quick to blame one party (people's memories are short so they tend to blame the last party/government).

Something on this scale needs long term planning and implementation, which was a failure of many many people and partys, sad really :(

• Advertisement

err except thats not accurate,

http://www.spain.info/en/antes_del_viaje/consejos-practicos/varios/
    Can you drink the tap water?

Drinking water supply is guaranteed throughout Spain. We have stringent control systems that guarantee water quality. Nevertheless, in some Mediterranean coastal areas consumption of bottled water is widespread.

Like Ireland and any other EU country Spain must follow EU regulations and guidelines or they will be fined (same as we will).

We just choose to ignore this and continue to waste money on bottled water :)

Of course if I operated a hotel or bar in spain I wouldn't correct tourists on the fact they could use the tap water, it would be idiotic for me to do so because I can continue to make some easy money from selling bottled water :)

Advertisement