Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To speed read, or not to speed read

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I read different things in different ways. I tend to skim newspaper articles to get the gist of them. If there might be something insteresting in them I read more slowly.

If I am looking for particular inormation eg from a text book, I read through it rapidly, not really paying full attention until I hit the relevant portions.

If I am reading an easy to read book (unfortunately all too often these days) I read at a slow and steady pace. If I am Reading a good book I read it very slowly and often take time to think about it or indeed about other things that it reminds me of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

From looking other comments it seems I must be slow. When it comes to reading fiction I tend to dither along at 30-40 pages an hour comfortably, maybe 50. But 100!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Skipping parts of a book is unacceptable. By engaging in this conduct you are not getting the full experience the author wished you to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I usually speed read the first time. That is to say I read the book cover to cover at a speed that some people would deem very fast and I might very occasionally miss stuff. This has become more apparent since I started reading Nordic literature. I noticed I wasn't fully picking up everything as I would find it difficult to keep the characters names in line.

But then if I have enjoyed a book (even moderately) I re-read it and I would play very close attention to the authors styling, character development etc.

For example I read We Need To Talk About Kevin in about two days I think. Since then I've read it another eight times which means I'm pretty sure I have every word rolling around somewhere in my noggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

It has been interesting to read what people think about speed reading, or skimming or whatever term you prefer yourself. If I really like a book, I will re-read it several times (no idea of the actual speed mind you, it feels fast though :D). That's what makes it fun to have a library in my house.

The debate reminded me about different learning styles (examples include Kinaesthetic, Auditory, visual) in adult education and I wonder if there is a link between the various styles and the preferred method of reading. I am aware that there is no hard and fast rule where both are concerned but generally it would be interesting to find out if research has been done on this. I would like to read it!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I read very fast, but if it's something I'm reading for enjoyment, it's not deliberate.
    Sometimes if it's a really fast paced/exciting plot, I find myself speeding up just to get to the conclusion!
    I could easily read a 400 page book in one sitting, but it depends totally on the book. I do admit to occasionally getting confused and going back a page if it's a complex read! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

Not for me speed reading. In fact I always read with a dictionary at hand which slows the process up a bit but I enjoy really taking my time and getting the full meaning as much as I can from the book I am reading.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I read so fast as a child (I'd certainly read a Roald Dahl or Enid Blyton book in under an hour) that my mother stopped buying me books and got me to join the library. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

I had to google what a tachistoscope was, and in the process I found this demo:
    http://www.angelfire.com/nb/improvedreading/tachistoscope.htm

Very interesting ideas there!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

I have a friend who buys books simply based upon how many pages they have

more pages = more value

I know its extreme, but I see no sense even in a diluted version of that policy where reading faster = better as if the faster you read the quicker you'll get to the end of literature, you won't!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

In college I always skimmed politics related books and journal articles, things that I had to read. I always took my time reading things that I chose to read at my normal slow pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    I had to google what a tachistoscope was, and in the process I found this demo:
    http://www.angelfire.com/nb/improvedreading/tachistoscope.htm

Very interesting ideas there!

site is blocked at work for some reason; I'll check it out when I go home, cheers.

here is an online speed reading application; you can copy and paste text in there and then choose the settings. Generally, to train yourself, I think your supposed to set it at a pretty high speed and then gradually bring it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I admit to skipping the chapter on Whitney Houston in American Psycho. I was determined to read it all but I couldn't take it. :L
    Usually I don't skip anything, the subtle details can add a whole other dimension to a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I do speed/skim bits I find boring. Especially in a book like LOTR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

[-0-] wrote: »
    Skipping parts of a book is unacceptable. By engaging in this conduct you are not getting the full experience the author wished you to have.

I prescribe a weekend with "The Lovers' Tale" sections of Melmoth the Wanderer for you. Supplemented by a generous helping of Tom Bombadil from Lord of the Rings.

Seriously, I can't bring myself to skip sections either, but some books almost seem to dare me to do so.

Advertisement