Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy books online

Options
  • 05-07-2011 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭

Where do you go to get books online? never bought online so just wondering all I know is amazon:o

It's something I want to do as want save does pennies now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

bookdepository.co.uk has free postage, and often cheaper than amazon too. I saw something yesterday about them being bought out by amazon though so I don't known how long that'll last!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Yes, you'd better hurry to the Book Depository. It reminds me of when Reads was taken over by Easons. The prices were never the same since.

I'm going to place (another) big order with the Book Depository soon. On the other threads you will notice a lot of us are using TBD. There is a 10% discount at the moment if you refer a friend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I'd echo what has been said about book depository (the takeover is a damn shame).

Another useful tip: if you are looking to buy second-hand books from third-party sellers on Amazon, then order them from Amazon.de (the German version). Many sellers list the exact same books on both the British and German sites, but if you order through the latter then you are only charged 3euro for delivery; I think the cost of delivery to other EU countries on .co.uk is over £4 sterling.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

E.T. wrote: »
    bookdepository.co.uk has free postage

I use the above and also play.com, sometimes their books are cheaper.
    They also have free postage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Oh what a pity to read about TBD being taken over by Amazon, just got my first order from here a couple of weeks ago and well impressed with their prices and delivery time. Have a load on the wish list so must get working on that soon as my credit card bill comes in!

That is funny! I was just about to do the same thing!

TBD must be doing well out of us today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Was gonna buy 4 books from amazon just there and decided just to check the price against book depository ,€6 cheaper from the latter ! , €25 versus €31 , needless to say where i bought from ......
    However sometimes there is little or no difference , amazon are way quicker with delivery i find , have waited weeks before for the book depository deliveries

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I like Book Depositry (I'm new to using it) and Play.com because you see the price in Euro and shipping is included so you know exactly what you'll be paying. You never know with Amazon by the time the Euro conversion is done and shipping is added.

That's the thing about Amazon, you have to spend £25 in order to get the free shipping. Whereas with TBD you get free shipping anyway, even if you only order one book.

I've never had to wait too long for the books from TBD, I usually get them within a week. The only time a delay occurred, was for titles that were hard to get anyway, it doesn't happen too often, in my experience. I hadn't noticed that Amazon was any quicker.

I still prefer TBD, as I don't have to spend the £25 each time. Though of course with the 10% discount with TBD, you just have to buy a load more books, don't you? I just made a big purchase yesterday! I'll never get time to catch up with all these books!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

kennys.ie is always worth keeping an eye on too . . . big range, free delivery and they also accept laser as a payment method, which can sometimes be convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

www.awesomebooks.com

My first port of call. Hugely recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

E.T. wrote: »
    bookdepository.co.uk has free postage, and often cheaper than amazon too. I saw something yesterday about them being bought out by amazon though so I don't known how long that'll last!

Gah! damn it anyway. The only thing i use Amazon for is the reviews. Have to go and get a few books off BookDepository now even though ive no money. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leevino

bookdepository.co.uk
    I always order here.you can search their books thru online..

I presume everyone knows at this stage that TBD are doing a 10% discount if you refer a friend. If anyone wants me to refer them to the website in order for you to get the discount, please send me a pm.

I've ordered way too many books already this month and last month using this great discount........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

www.alibiris.co.uk
    www.abebooks.co.uk

Both pretty decent sites, should you be after some rarities/out of print books that would be difficult to find in the usual outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Really? That's a darn shame, don't like when "amazon" take over other businesses, that means book depository's model possibly turns into Amazon's, for starters charging for delivery which book dep sells themselves on big time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I presume everyone knows at this stage that TBD are doing a 10% discount if you refer a friend. If anyone wants me to refer them to the website in order for you to get the discount, please send me a pm.

I've ordered way too many books already this month and last month using this great discount........

Thanks to your advice bought 3 books online from the site so far saving myself between 14-16e if I was to buy in waterstones or easons....

Do you think TBD will go charging on shipping within say next year??? I hope to God not...I wish I found this site earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

You can also combine discounts from www.fatcheese.ie and the book depository to increase the discount you can get.

Kindles are also a great way of getting books cheaper and faster from Amazon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement