Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 6, Stage 5: Carhaix - Cap Fréhel 158km

• 05-07-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭

Beware of sea breezes

This is a relatively short stage but once again, Prudhomme has allowed for the possibility of a surprise. With 70 coastal kilometres into the finish, echelons are sure to form if the wind picks up strongly off the English Channel. Of course, last year Prudhomme and co. made a good deal of exactly this happening on the opening road stage in Holland but the stage passed in almost total calm. But even in easy conditions, there is sure to be a big battle near the front of the peloton in the closing kilometres, which should conclude with a hotly contested bunch sprint.

tdf2011_5sm_600.jpg

tdf2011_5sp_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Slightly off-topic but cycled a good part of this route 2 years ago and ended staying in Yffiniac by default overnight (the CA atm swallowed my card). The first thing you see when you arrive in the town is a 2 storey mural of the Badger, it's his birthplace. Was glad fate decided we stay there as I would never have known that otherwise. As for the route, we found it very lumpy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Set up for Cav today imo, guessing hes going to want to prove something after Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

rain at the finish and strong cross winds, to change to a tail wind at the end, so could be hard day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Went with Petacchi today - 14/1 each way on PP. Can't see past Cav for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

SomeFool wrote: »
    Went with Petacchi today - 14/1 each way on PP. Can't see past Cav for the win.

Aye probably Cav, but he's far too short to back, especially given he's made a bags of his last couple of sprints, at the Giro, and then again in the earlier TDF Stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Could be a Swift finish today, or maybe Farrar might take his 2nd win, he & his team are on fire, there's something about Cav and HTC this year, just not firing on all cylinders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Could be a Swift finish today, or maybe Farrar might take his 2nd win, he & his team are on fire, there's something about Cav and HTC this year, just not firing on all cylinders.

He 've said on an interview that this year team is not as strong or as experienced as the previous years. I think he ll do well today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Interesting that Sky sent their whole team back to drag Wiggins back to the front, while I think Quick Step only have two riders to get Chavanel back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

anyone got a live audio feed link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Stuck a small bet on Cav @ 2/1. He'll be desperate to win todays stage after losing out to Farrar last time out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Contador is down!!!

EDIT: He's back up again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Right the sprint was a bit of a joke to be fair....Cav has a right to be complaining and it'll be interesting if anything changes there after!!

These crashes are a joke....straight stretches of road....they must not be concentrating at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Brajkovic is gone. On his way to Hospital after a heavy fall. Gesink fell too, holding his wrist. I didn't see if he got back on his bike.

Edit: Gesink back in business.

Nice cut on Gesink's knee....lot of blood!!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

wow. what a few minutes.
    looks like brajkovic is out after crashing. gesink was down in same crash and then contador crashed a few minutes after!
    just before that cav made a balls of the intermediate sprint... he's going to have to do a lot better than that to win the stage. i'd fancy another bet on tyler for today on that form...

was laughing just before all that at the tg4 commentators... my irish isn't great but they were slagging ulrich. they were talking about wiggins diet of lentils and chickpeas versus ulrich's of black forest gateaux and vitamin pills. then they had a moment of guilt but said 'its ok, i dont think he's listening' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kmart6 wrote: »
    These crashes are a joke....straight stretches of road....they must not be concentrating at all!!

Not watching this stage currently, but Geraint Thomas has been talking after the past couple of stages about nervousness and fighting in the peloton. You don't really see it on TV, but apparently there are a lot of elbows and handbags. I'd heard that sort of thing was bad in U23, but assumed the grown ups behaved a bit better. :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    Not watching this stage currently, but Geraint Thomas has been talking after the past couple of stages about nervousness and fighting in the peloton. You don't really see it on TV, but apparently there are a lot of elbows and handbags. I'd heard that sort of thing was bad in U23, but assumed the grown ups behaved a bit better. :pac:
    They just seem like silly crashes....like straight flat stretches where nothing is really happening....seems like people just running into each other!

mahoo wrote: »
    cav made a balls of the intermediate sprint

He was impeded IMO!! If he was the one doing that he'd be DSQ!

wow, that was a lucky escape for Sorenson (I think). Wonder how long before the motorcycle copped the bike connected to him?

Jeez, Sorensen had his bike robbed off him by the motorbike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whats with all the crashes so far today.

:eek:

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Jeez, Sorensen had his bike robbed off him by the motorbike!

I was wondering where his bike went to.

It's all Sean Kelly's fault - he said there'd be a few casualties today alas and he was right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

irish-stew wrote: »
    I was wondering where his bike went to.

It was incredible. The poor guy was sitting there with no sign of the bike. The slo-mo showed it was still attached to the camera bike. I wonder did the camera guy get good shots of it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Tom Boonen will be 100% disqualified from the intermediate sprint and the motorbikie driver is in for a bit of a bollocking too ;)

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It was incredible. The poor guy was sitting there with no sign of the bike. The slo-mo showed it was still attached to the camera bike. I wonder did the camera guy get good shots of it. :pac:

It was only when I seen the close up slow mo as well, I said to my self, thats where it is. Just seen part of the bike jutting out from behind the motor bike.

Tom Boonen will be 100% disqualified
    ...........or maybe 78% :p

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

He was impeded IMO!! If he was the one doing that he'd be DSQ!

im down in west cork on a slothlike internet connection so sorry if comments pop up 15 mins after things happen!
    would like to see replay again but looked like cav got pushed off his lead outs wheel very easily in build up and got himself in an awkward spot. boonen definitely came across and impeded him. maybe it'll fire him up for the finish.. still think garmin look determined to get this one. thor leading out farrar again.

i loved the way sorenson ended up joining those people having a picnic at the side of the road .. scary way to (literally) loose your wheels

in an eerie note. i think ive cursed todays stage with my fantasy velogames team... so far today my team has: branjkovic (abondoned), kern (abandoned), contador (fell off), sorenson (fell off) and cav (looser).. id be nervous if i was gilbert :D

Lolz with Gadret needing a back wheel!! Bet Nico was smiling when he heard that over the team radio!

• Advertisement

Good god! Another Crash!!!!

Boonen down this time!

Genealogy Forum Mod

And theres another spill.

:eek:

and another one. Boonen in trouble. Seems hurt.

All these crashes and def messing with all their heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Boonen back on the bike but looking in pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

mahoo wrote: »
    kern (abandoned)

Didn't manage to see the reason for Christophe Kern's abandonment, anyone see why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Lolz with Gadret needing a back wheel!! Bet Nico was smiling when he heard that over the team radio!
    Bet he wasnt! Nico has long got over it maybe you should do the same

Poor Boonen :(

Didn't manage to see the reason for Christophe Kern's abandonment, anyone see why?

eurosport commentators said he'd been struggling with a knee injury the past few days and compensating for the knee was giving him back pains.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Bet he wasnt! Nico has long got over it maybe you should do the same
    Oh sorry...did thattouch a nerve with you?!...are you ok?!

Light hearted comment ffs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

"Alert X-Ray room, we have a few cyclists coming in" :eek:

Why does Gadret continually ride at, or just off, the back?

HEARD BLACK FOREST GATEAUX AND HEADED STRAIGHT FOR THE FRIDGE.

That photo they were just talking about is pretty hardcore!

FiorenzoMagni.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1238079397765

happytramp wrote: »
    Tom Boonen will be 100% disqualified from the intermediate sprint and the motorbikie driver is in for a bit of a bollocking too ;)

guy in front of boonen will be docked i think as he forced boonen over.

happytramp wrote: »

think it was the guy in front of boonene that forced him over. thought this didnt post first time round.

Bit disappointing to see 3 AG2R riders at the back of the peloton...although looks like 2 of them are trying to keep Gadret going!

Those roads were just too narrow....was always going to be another crash!!

Just came pack in to see a rider preety much under the crowd barriers. Anyone else involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

euskatel guy down looks hurt looks like he clipped the barriers

• Advertisement
Advertisement