Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Were the implications less serious, it would have been entertaining to observe the squirming of sports presenters and journalists confronted by Katie’s matter-of-fact understanding of the centrality of God in her life, their discomfiture as she expressed her gratitude for the contribution to her success of the prayers of other believers.

Each time, it was as though she had not spoken or had said something else – as though she had been talking about her training regime or wittering about the thrill of winning a medal. Her interlocutor would jump upon some smaller dimension of what she had just said, as though terrified that the “religious” dimension of Katie Taylor might cause the medal to melt.
    Did he supply any actual examples of this? Did he bother to ask any sport journalists what they thought - they're probably only a few yards away in the office? I suppose if JW wants to know how the Irish think, he need only look up his own arse.

And I wish he had illustrated the article with this wonderfully creepy painting
    jesus-boxer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

goose2005 wrote: »
    Did he supply any actual examples of this? Did he bother to ask any sport journalists what they thought - they're probably only a few yards away in the office? I suppose if JW wants to know how the Irish think, he need only look up his own arse.

And I wish he had illustrated the article with this wonderfully creepy painting
    jesus-boxer.jpg

Jesus looks like a butch Bee-Gee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Waters somehow gets crazier every time he opens his gob. Lots of bitterness shining through in this latest rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jernal wrote: »
    Isn't Waters teaching a diploma course in journalism at City Colleges? Anybody want to enrol? :D

That would be like studying biology at Oral Roberts University. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Today's article essentially boils down to 'Everything is meaningless and all that you enjoy is just a shallow attempt at meaning. There is no meaning with out Jesus and the sports media should recognise this. Boxing is good.'

See,if JW can reinterpret things to mean whatever he likes I can too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

\ wrote:
    just a shallow attempt at meaning. There is no meaning with out Jesus and the sports media should recognise this. Boxing is good.'

I liked Katie Taylor until she said "god did it"
    what an effin insult, now she can put that Gold where the .........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

" And when she thanks her supporters for their prayers it is as though she has never contemplated the possibility that she could have won without them. The whole thing is a seamless exposition of an understanding of reality in which boxing is just one element – and by no means the most important one."

This, of course, is where Waters, and Katie Taylor, are most deluded. The idea that people's prayers contributed to the gold medal. If that was the case, why train, why all those hours of sparring, why all those years of sacrifice? If a boxing match is going to be decided by who has the most people praying for them it becomes like a glorified celestial X-Factor, trying to get as many people as possible to send in their prayers to find the winner. Are we asked to believe that Taylor won her gold medal because the Russian Orthodox Church couldn't mobilise enough people in time to pray for her opponent? (obviously they were too busy persecuting an all-girl punk band)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

has this been posted before?

https://twitter.com/johnwatersit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I wasn't sure if this was real or not until I saw at the top of the page...www.thisisaparodyaccount.com
    Though it seems so real....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That is brilliant.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Is John trying to LOOK like Jesus with the hair and beard and whatnot?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

They say there's no such thing as bad publicity, but I suspect posting that link here isn't going to end well for him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I actually want to know how an English teacher would grade John Waters' articles. Maybe someone could find an English teacher on these forums to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I actually want to know how an English teacher would grade John Waters' articles. Maybe someone could find an English teacher on these forums to find out?

Given the standard of written communication used by some English teachers on these forums, I'm not sure how much I would trust their analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

403. Feckin atheists broke Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Reading..
    Liberals trying to skew debate over abortion

JOHN WATERS

Fri, Aug 31, 2012

Irish culture has been painstakingly manipulated by people trying to further their case

A STRIKING aspect of the culture we are industriously constructing is the automatic assumption that individual claims regarding “rights” must trump more established concepts of societal organisation and human self-reflection.

By a process of purposeful osmosis, Irish culture has of late been painstakingly manipulated to make one set of understandings appear outmoded and pernicious, and the other axiomatic and benign. And because this arriviste thinking clicks into a superstructure of logic which supports it to the disadvantage of prior or contrary ideas, it becomes easy to caricature different ways of seeing things as outmoded, obscurantist or Neanderthal.

The caricature in relation to abortion was given eloquent expression by Fintan O’Toole in this newspaper last Tuesday.

O’Toole sketched, in effect, a community – the Catholic community – that believes things because it is told to – indeed that believes several mutually contradictory things at once and plays “silly linguistic games” to effect symbolic sleights-of-hand.

He advanced a superficially plausible profile of Irish anti-abortion campaigners failing to take their logic to its ultimate conclusion.

“If they really believe what they purport to believe – that a fertilised ovum is a human being in exactly the same sense as Nelson Mandela or Lady Gaga or the pope”, he declared, “they are disgracefully moderate” in the face of – in effect – the obliteration of the equivalent of the population of Limerick over the past decade.

Anti-abortion protesters have many times been roundly condemned from the ranks of O’Toole’s liberal fellow travellers for – to give one example – marching with posters with placards bearing photographs of dead foetuses.

Now, they are condemned for being insufficiently “extreme”.

Yet again, a liberal offers opponents of industrial abortion a Hobson’s choice: be the fascists who endanger women’s lives or the vexatious cranks who cling to vacuous symbols.

Thus, liberal culture constructs its double-binds to trap those voicing contrary perspectives.

The cultural conditions by which “pro-choice” logic has come to dominate our public thought processes renders the pro-life position increasingly disabled by persistent insinuations of blind fanaticism.

To see how this works, we need but thumb along to Fintan’s next paragraph, in which the term “lunatic fringe” is used to dismiss anyone who expresses an “absolutist” position on abortion.

To further their case, liberals demolish the ethical subtlety informing the Catholic position, and then accuse their opponents of denying complexities.

There is nothing inconsistent in the Catholic position that abortion, to begin with, amounts to the killing of a human life, but that this may in certain circumstances be unavoidable and therefore permissible as the lesser of evils.

The idea that an abortion to save the life of the mother is on the same moral plane as one obtained to avoid the inconvenience of a baby is as fatuous as the suggestion that there is no distinction between an accidental death arising from self-defence and a premeditated murder.

The ethical distinction arises from the context, and is not obliterated (as O’Toole implied) because the word “abortion” happens to be used for both. Catholics may require a broader range of words to overcome such semantic trickery.

The prejudice that anti-abortion positions are adopted “for religious reasons” fails fundamentally to understand either religion or abhorrence of abortion. Catholics are people who understand reality in a particular way, not people who have been given a list of things they must believe in. The Catholic position on abortion arises from a moral perspective centred on the dignity of the human person.

Catholicism is the expression of this perspective, not its motivation.

There is no possibility of reconciling the liberal and Catholic worldviews, not because one is enlightened and the other obscurantist, but because they see the human condition in two utterly divergent ways. One sees man as flawed, fragile but redeemable, the other sees a species perfectible by its own endeavours, for which all things are possible through the imposition of individual “rights”.

Catholicism seeks to optimise the conditions of the greatest number in the common good, whereas liberalism sees only one context at a time and is blind, in each instance, to the wider ecology. Catholics tend to set out from, yes, absolutist core principles that can be mediated in exceptional circumstances on the basis of compassion, necessity, reason, mercy and forgiveness; liberals come from the opposite direction, latching on to exceptions and peripheral case studies to create a useful confusion.

The liberal approach is to break down absolutes by pitting one set of rights against another, a kind of relativist draughts game out of which the most convincing victim emerges triumphant. Ultimately anybody’s rights can be obliterated by the superior claim of another’s. This is why liberals talk incessantly about rape victims, even though this arises in the tiniest minority of cases.

What frightens liberals about the prospect of a resurgence of Catholic involvement in the abortion debate is not so much that gullible and petrified politicians will be told by bishops what to think, but rather that, if Catholics begin to understand the trick that has been played, they may still be capable of overcoming the skewed and inhospitable conditions which the liberal hosts have established to nobble their opponent’s case before it is made.

© 2012 The Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

"Catholicism seeks to optimise the conditions of the greatest number in the common good"

Really John? Really? It hasn't been doing a stellar job so far.

Wait a minute....is that.......COMMUNISM he's talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

.. I don't want to start reading that.
    It's too early!

.. I don't want to start reading that.
    It's too early!

I hear ya. I need more coffee before I can even contemplate a world that contains Mr W - never mind read his latest drivel.

"Abortion is evil" says man who deserted his girlfriend when she got pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sarky wrote: »
    "Abortion is evil" says man who deserted his girlfriend when she got pregnant.
    dare you to post that on the comments

Phone won't let me post a comment, gimme an hour or so til I can get to my lappytop. I may have to include the part where they weren't married when he was shagging her. Yup, real champion of Catholicism is our John Waters.

Sarky wrote: »
    Phone won't let me post a comment, gimme an hour or so til I can get to my lappytop. I may have to include the part where they weren't married when he was shagging her. Yup, real champion of Catholicism is our John Waters.

You simply must include that part.

It's after lunch.
    I think I'm ready (probably not).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's after lunch.
    I think I'm ready (probably not).
    I tried, all I saw was
    catholicism
    liberals
    catholicism yay
    liberals boo
    catholicis... i give up

bluewolf wrote: »
    I tried, all I saw was
    catholicism
    liberals
    catholicism yay
    liberals boo
    catholicis... i give up

Sorry for your loss bluewolf - but take heart, even though you will never get that time back you have saved me from wasting my time reading it.

Karma brownie point for you. ;)

Getting tired of liberalism being made out to be some kind of fascist regime where you have to do as you are told, or else.

I thought it was the exact opposite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

So the liberals have joined the media's campaign of lies, trickery and misdirection in the wool-pulling over the collective eyes of the Catholic Underdogs of Ireland.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Catholics are people who understand reality in a particular way, not people who have been given a list of things they must believe in.
    Apart from the Creed and the Catechism, of course.

• Advertisement

goose2005 wrote: »
    Apart from the Creed and the Catechism, of course.

and any doctrine the infallible Pope announces.

Advertisement