Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

We just need Eric Conway of Navan to weigh in now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Disgusted in Sandymount writes in:
    Sir, – Surely Joe Kehoe can’t be serious when he suggests that linguistic autinomianism might be perilous (Letters, March 18th), particularly as he had just dexterously deconstructed John Waters’s grandiloquent and pretentious disquisition on numinosity (Opinion, March 16th), and shown up his fallaciously erroneous hypothesis, albeit inadvertently.

Rather, his symbiotic dialectic of the infinite, which juxtaposes such contradictory and opposing conjectures, and which Mr Kehoe apparently finds so attractive, simply fails to work through the logical stages of thesis, antithesis and synthesis in accord with Hegel’s logic. If a critique is to be trenchant and cogent, then let it at least bear a modicum of plausible verisimilitude. – Yours, etc,

RODNEY DEVITT,
    Tritonville Lane,
    Sandymount,
    Dublin 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Time for a JW drinking game.

Pick up an article by Waters. Take a drink when:

JW mentions religion – a sip of beer
    JW blames the media, liberals, feminists, etc – one shot
    JW blames blogs and social media – two shots
    A JW article generates a satirical response – three shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looks like a battle of thesaurian proportions on the letters page :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Galvasean wrote: »
    Looks like a battle of thesaurian proportions on the letters page :)

Maybe we'll finally get some answers on the mysteriousness of reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That'd spoil the mystery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Galvasean wrote: »
    That'd spoil the mystery!

You're right. Sure if we know what reality is then all we'd be left with is the secularist desert, the perilous state of 'knowing' to which modern Ireland has flown, little thought given to the age old search for truth which is inextricably part of man's search for meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

lazygal wrote: »
    You're right. Sure if we know what reality is then all we'd be left with is the secularist desert, the perilous state of 'knowing' to which modern Ireland has flown, little thought given to the age old search for truth which is inextricably part of man's search for meaning.
    If only we'd listened to Pope Benedict's missive on the centrality of hermeneutic experience for modern man, we wouldn't be trapped in the iron cage of secularism neo-atheistic pseudo-Descartian irrationality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Indeed. bollocks, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Fine, except anyone would be dead of alcohol poisoning after four paragraphs.

How would a person go about making a word cloud of his articles?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Wordle can help on that front, though it's a bit limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt this game unless in vomiting distance of an accident and emergency unit with expertise in alcohol poisoning. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »
    Indeed. bollocks, eh?

Absolutely but we shall gird our ovaries and show testicular fortitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,322 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I normally have to drink before I read one of his articles, never mind drinking during it too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

Here's a new supplement you can use with future articles. Will make it more fun. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,322 ✭✭✭✭Penn

F*cking brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Do not, under any circumstances, attempt this game unless in vomiting distance of an accident and emergency unit with expertise in alcohol poisoning. :eek:

This is Ireland... they're all expert in dealing with it :(

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

I just grabbed the largest image I could find of Mr. Waters from google images but on reflection it’s somewhat funny that he also happens to be holding a newspaper in that picture, as though it’s his own latest diatribe he has there and is waiting for us all to get stuck in.

The look on his face: “Well, what are you waiting for, assholes? Try making sense of this latest endeavour in sumptuous grandiloquence.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Watched the movie Outbreak earlier, there was a great line in it from Kevin Spacey's character I thought appropriate to Mr. Waters' style :)

Sam Daniels: Alarmingly high fatality. All localized within a three mile radius. Incubation period: short. Appears contained. Alarmingly. Casey, you didn't put "alarmingly."
    Casey Schuler: It's an adverb, Sam. It's a lazy tool of a weak mind.

• Advertisement

That bingo thing needs to go viral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Letters to the Editor includes an amusing parody of discussion over the past days. (At least I hope it's parody!)

letter 2
    letter 3

I can't find a link to letter 1 (March 18),which was very convincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I wonder does John Waters read those letters and think "what a well constructed and clear piece of writing!", or scratch his head in frustrated bemusement like the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Newaglish wrote: »
    I wonder does John Waters read those letters and think "what a well constructed and clear piece of writing!", or scratch his head in frustrated bemusement like the rest of us.

He probably doesn't write them for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Reading one of his articles i always get the feeling he just writes a load of illegible crap and then puts it through an online thesaurus a la joey in friends. Im still waiting for it to be signed

waffe waffle waffle atheists grrrrrr waffle waffle waffle

I'm right and you're wrong

John H2O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

freyners wrote: »
    Reading one of his articles i always get the feeling he just writes a load of illegible crap and then puts it through an online thesaurus a la joey in friends.

Plus......

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/big-book-of-philosophy-naomi-zack/1112062196

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Understanding-Catholicism/dp/1592575358/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363893537&sr=1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Letters to the Editor includes an amusing parody of discussion over the past days. (At least I hope it's parody!)

letter 2
    letter 3

I can't find a link to letter 1 (March 18),which was very convincing.

In the absence of a link to "letter 1" which kicked-off this series of verbiage ... here it is in living monochrome. (Why doesn't it appear inline?)
    Mr K deserves some credit, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

an amusing parody of discussion over the past days. (At least I hope it's parody!)
    letter 2

letter 3

"Resisting all temptations to indulge in verbosity......"
    Letter 3 is brilliantly Waters-esque in its dialectic of pomposity with patent nonsense. Plus extra bonus points for the most excellent word "ratiocination."

On the other hand, Letter 2 employs more than "a modicum of plausible verisimilitude" by blinding the reader with the pseudo-scientific word "numinosity".
    I'll give both of them 9.5 out of 10 biggrin.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Letter 3 is definitely satire. It's great in that it even makes sense in a perverse word torture way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

I'm guessing whoever edits the letters page is not a Waters fan, seeing the free rein given to all this sesquipedalian piss-taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 martoman

Did you know Waters was very critical of FIFA’s decision in the early 1990s to introduce the back-pass rule into football? Here is how he responded: “In contrast to the sportmanly sagacious ontological completeness of the back-pass concordat, we now, lamentablely, have insubstantial progressives who invoke a positivistic aesthetic appreciation of the materialistic incompleteness of free flowing frolic.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Ow, my eyes hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

martoman wrote: »
    Did you know Waters was very critical of FIFA’s decision in the early 1990s to introduce the back-pass rule into football? Here is how he responded: “In contrast to the sportmanly sagacious ontological completeness of the back-pass concordat, we now, lamentablely, have insubstantial progressives who invoke a positivistic aesthetic appreciation of the materialistic incompleteness of free flowing frolic.”

I can no longer accurately identify satire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Someone doesn't get the joke
    Sir, – One fervently hopes that Peadar de Barra’s vain effort to resist the temptation to indulge in verbosity (March 21st), was made by jamming his tongue firmly in his cheek.
    Otherwise, he makes another worthy founding member of the Pseuds’ Corner, which you are so lax in not providing for Messrs de Barra, Kehoe, Waters and their ilk. Only in such a sanctuary could they give full vent to their obfuscating rhetoric. Whatever about the poverty of secularist thought, it rarely lacks clarity. You do not need recourse to a philosophical dictionary to interpret the prose of Richard Dawkins or the late Christopher Hitchens. Verbosity seems to be a favourite refuge of the irrational. Of course anti-secularists will have no truck with rationality; indeed, they now seem to have superseded it with “irrational rationality”. Well, I suppose nonsense by any other name.
    Perhaps adherents to the religious standpoint should reflect on the myriads of mysteries, exoteric and otherwise, that once defied rationalisation and are now perfectly understood by all. Science eventually resolves most , if not all, mysteries. There is nothing “ultimately insoluble” about existence either – it just is. Our natural universe provides enough awe, inspiration, beauty and challenge to satisfy any human being. No need to transcend it. – Yours, etc,
    FRANK CONROY,
    Leenane PO,
    Maam, Co Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

In the absence of a link to "letter 1" which kicked-off this series of verbiage ... here it is in living monochrome. (Why doesn't it appear inline?)
    Mr K deserves some credit, I think.

The Poverty of Secularist Thinking - Joe Kehoe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

For anyone wishing to save a minute or two today, I summarise todays article below.

'The gays are coming. Won't someone think of the children?!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Link? Couldn't see any columns by himself today...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The Irish Times misled me with its cover. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

It's in the print edition today. Is the online a day behind or behind the paywall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

• Moderators Posts: 51,866 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

It's in the print edition today. Is the online a day behind or behind the paywall?

Just slow to get the article up. Up now for those that like to punish themselves :P

EDIT: doesn't seem to the article you mentioned :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I guessed that he would bring up the spunout article but my god that was a trippy read. He went from mortgage ceilings to threesomes to gay marriage. I'm still finding the reaction to the spunout article to be completely absurd. But John Waters has surpassed all expectations this time round.

I think he might have overdosed on communion wafers and veritas luxury holy water while writing that. :confused:

freyners wrote: »
    I think he might have overdosed on communion wafers and veritas luxury holy water while writing that. :confused:

Is that the new name for methylated spirits?

Is that the new name for methylated spirits?

its john waters we're dealing with, one can not put things simply;)

• Advertisement

He was bad enough, but the comments are worse -
    "Liberal democracy is now coming out in its true colours - a free-for-all - organised chaos orchestrated by the rich and powerful to exploit without limits?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Jesus wept. Well, there's some brain cells I won't be getting back.

So there's a small article on a youth website giving the pros and cons on threesomes in a non judgmental way and now all of a sudden society as we know it is going to collapse?

Dramatic much?

He really sounds angry and bitter. What's this? Young people having fun? Gay people getting rights? No, no, we can't be having any of that. If I don't get to have fun, no one else does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

bluewolf wrote: »
    He was bad enough, but the comments are worse -
    "Liberal democracy is now coming out in its true colours - a free-for-all - organised chaos orchestrated by the rich and powerful to exploit without limits?"

The IT doesn't seem to know what a troll is, they have a guy who posts that multiple times on every story I've read but they leave him be. They used to have someone else go on about how every decision of the Supreme Court since some random date in the 80s/90s was somehow invalid - they seem to have gone, but most of the other conservative/RCC trolls re-reg and spout the same old same old again and again.

I see that comments are now disabled on JW's article, one of the usual RCC trolls must have been badly losing an argument again and started posting abortion pictures :rolleyes: which gets all the comments removed

For a newspaper which is inclined to go off on foamy rants about the perils of the internet, the standard of discussion they permit on their own website is orders of magnitude below boards.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

On RTE ONE now.
    *shudder*

This is why I don't watch that much Irish TV. I just hope that Republic of Telly takes the piss out of him next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement