Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

fitz0 wrote: »

Check out the hat on the woman from the North. What's going on there, I wonder? Is this the new catholic chic? Good for storing your rosary beads, I suppose.

Just watched it again, this is hilarious stuff. "This battle can only be won if we are on our knees". With the pipes in the background, wailing plaintively.

Interestingly, a memo has obviously gone out among the anti-abortion fraternity about using this phrase, "A culture of death" as much as possible. Waters used it here, as did one other person, and the recent comment by one of the bishops contained this hideous, twisted expression. They need to be called on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

The man really is a clown. You'd think he'd at least have a shave and get a hair cut before appearing on TV. No sign of professionalism from him at all, never mind his views.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

fisgon wrote: »
    Check out the hat on the woman from the North. What's going on there, I wonder? Is this the new catholic chic? Good for storing your rosary beads, I suppose.

Just watched it again, this is hilarious stuff. "This battle can only be won if we are on our knees". With the pipes in the background, wailing plaintively.

Interestingly, a memo has obviously gone out among the anti-abortion fraternity about using this phrase, "A culture of death" as much as possible. Waters used it here, as did one other person, and the recent comment by one of the bishops contained this hideous, twisted expression. They need to be called on it.

Yeah it's appalling stuff, I was cringing as soon as I heard the music, it's a bit 'twee', like the romantic image of innocent lickle Ireland they want to portray, unchanged and timeless like some unchanging and timeless...thing. Sorry getting all Watersesque there :pac:

The arguments are the same flawed ones trotted out and dismantled time and time again, dressing them up with a nationalistic vibe and flowery prose doesn't change that.

There's a distinct lack of irony when it comes to the use of "a culture of death" in the video. As Catlicks, they pray to a deity who sent himself in the form of his son to die on a cross which is used and revered as a symbol of sacrifice for them. The only culture of death here belongs to death cults like Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Another video from the same source. A prayer. There is a truly revolting part in the middle....

"give us love for our enemies and healing for all your daughters who in fear and trembling rejected the gift of life within them."

There is no end to these people's self-righteousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Yeah it's appalling stuff, I was cringing as soon as I heard the music, it's a bit 'twee', like the romantic image of innocent lickle Ireland they want to portray, unchanged and timeless like some unchanging and timeless...thing. Sorry getting all Watersesque there :pac:

I find the cheap American Evangelist style of presentation even more cringeworthy. It's bad enough they present Ireland as the quaint rural ideal of bygone days, but to do it in the style of an American infomercial is just insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sit back and open a bag of popcorn (which when finished can be used as a sick bag).

Jeez, that's what was happening in the room next door to the last skeptics talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

fisgon wrote: »
    Just watched it again, this is hilarious stuff. "This battle can only be won if we are on our knees".

Must... banish... disgusting... images... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Irish Times should have a JW Christmas crossword. Clues are snippets from Waters' articles over the years. Answers, something involving the liberals, feminists, heathens, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The Irish Times should have a JW Christmas crossword. Clues are snippets from Waters' articles over the years. Answers, something involving the liberals, feminists, heathens, etc.

They would need a double page spread to accommodate in his wordyness' tendency to shun words of less than 7 syllables.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

IT-Guy wrote: »
    There's a distinct lack of irony when it comes to the use of "a culture of death" in the video. As Catlicks, they pray to a deity who sent himself in the form of his son to die on a cross which is used and revered as a symbol of sacrifice for them. The only culture of death here belongs to death cults like Christianity.

I was going to cite the irony of the 'culture of death' line for a different reason. The Pope himself coined the term, which is ironic as he was recently in Uganda blessing the 'Kill The Gays' bill. Apparently an undeveloped fetus has more of a right to life than a gay African man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Galvasean wrote: »
    I was going to cite the irony of the 'culture of death' line for a different reason. The Pope himself coined the term, which is ironic as he was recently in Uganda blessing the 'Kill The Gays' bill. Apparently an undeveloped fetus has more of a right to life than a gay African man.

You should just toddle on over to the abortion thread and stick this under jimitime's latest offering.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Obliq wrote: »
    You should just toddle on over to the abortion thread and stick this under jimitime's latest offering.....
    He isn't catholic.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I heard one bit from that awful video, the bit where she goes "there's no case ever where an abortion would save a woman's life" and went LIES LIES YOU BASTARDS LIES and turned it off

fcuks sake

MrPudding wrote: »
    He isn't catholic.

MrP

Oh. Ta! Well, it's still appropriate in the light of how the anti-choice side goes about manipulating language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bluewolf wrote: »
    I heard one bit from that awful video, the bit where she goes "there's no case ever where an abortion would save a woman's life" and went LIES LIES YOU BASTARDS LIES and turned it off

fcuks sake

For jaysus sake don't read this then....
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/1222/1224328119745.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nodin wrote: »
    The bullsh|t started to hurt my brain after two paragraphs :(

Nodin wrote: »

I wonder how the pro-choice woman that Breda quotes would feel about her letter being used in the context of an anti-choice rant? I'd be pretty bleedin angry......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The title get's proceedings off to a great start...
    "Our legislators need to be reminded abortion not some kind of magic wand"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Thanks for clearing that up for us John. I was really convinced a simple wave of an abortion wand and a click of heels and everything was back to normal

Sure Harry Potter is full of abortions. "Aborticus Inchantium".

Is this really the level of debate we're having?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Jaysus if we only need a magic wand to solve the problem, what's the fuss about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Another missive from his serious beardyness, John Waters:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2013/0104/1224328422900.html

It harks back to an article he wrote a while back:
    I finished with the following paragraph, intended as a parody of the phenomenon I had described: “Personally, I would prefer if, instead of pursuing individuals tweeters, the police arrested Jack Dorsey, the creator of Twitter, and closed his network down. Actually, i wish they wud burn the Twitter founder in oil leave his carcass out for the buzzards. Seriously.”
    Resorting to the kind of language he complained about has backfired as it's resulted in a complaint:
    Even I, who had railed against the assassination of irony perpetrated by internet discourse generally, was astonished to hear that a representative of the Twitter organisation had telephoned (yes, telephoned, and on a landline too!) my page editor at the Irish Times to complain about that final sentence. She said Twitter had seen my article and was very unhappy. The final paragraph “crossed a line”, they felt. Asked if she wasn’t able to observe some note of irony in the “buzzard” sentence, she replied: “No, I don’t see that.”
    I can see a number of problems:
    1. John Waters isn't known for his sense of humour, not to the general public at large, so he's more likely to be taken seriously.
    2. Irony and sarcasm don't always come across clearly in written form, even on paper.
    3. It's also a very old trick to make an obnoxious comment and then claim to be joking.

I suspect 1 and 2 are the factors at play here.

I'm not sure if the person who contacted the paper was from Twitter or was a concerned user.

John Waters has had a problem with a tweet:
    And here’s another irony. Some weeks later, I had reason to attempt contacting Twitter to request they remove a defamatory posting timed to attack me at a late stage in November’s so-called children’s referendum. I discovered Twitter does not make available either a telephone number or address for complainants to use.
    The complaints procedure is here:
    https://support.twitter.com/groups/33-report-abuse-or-policy-violations/topics/122-reporting-violations/articles/20169998-how-to-report-abusive-behavior#

He then claims that the culture of online discussion has become dangerous and makes a suggestion:
    In some instances, as we’ve recently had reason to observe, the effects of such commentary can be terminal. Free speech and democracy are far better served by a regulated system of commentary, which insists on basic civilities, foremost among which is that participants identify themselves before contributing.
    He doesn't see that pseudonyms can help discussion by giving someone a chance to talk about something that might carry a stigma - for instance, mental health problems, in a way that won't have negative repercussions for them.

He then goes on to discuss legal issues to do with media and ISPs. I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be with the background there, so I'll leave that to one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

^^^

A comment from the IT article above:
    If John Waters published that on Boards.ie he'd be instantly banned for trolling. Now THAT'S ironic.

:D

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Mr. Waters doesn't like people saying mean things about him? One way to curb that is to stop being an ass!

He wants to shutdown a service that has over 140 million users because of probably less than 100 users? It's not as if the tweets he didn't like are sent to his inbox, he has to search them out. Which is even more difficult to do because (AFAIK) he isn't a registered user.

What about twitters like these? People mobilised to clean up London after the riots in 2011. And that's just the most obvious example I can think of, there are plenty more examples if you go looking.

And the suggestion that people who don't use pseudonyms will be more civil/courteous is a nonsense. Unless twitter verifies every user, how would anyone know that a user is who they claim to be?

Mr. Waters just seemed like the following in my head after reading his article.

AbeSimpsonTooMuchInfo.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pauldla wrote: »
    A comment from the IT article above:
    If John Waters published that on Boards.ie he'd be instantly banned for trolling. Now THAT'S ironic.
    Waters isn't likely to be banned from A+A if he stuck to the forum charter.

In fact, I think it would be useful for himself if he did drop by and tried to discuss some of the issues that annoy him with with some of the people he's continually being rude about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

robindch wrote: »

In fact, I think it would be useful for himself if he did drop by and tried to discuss some of the issues that annoy him with with some of the people he's continually being rude about.

I agree, it would be very useful. Of course, he could already be on A&A anonymously. Wouldn't that be a delicious irony? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

pauldla wrote: »
    I agree, it would be very useful. Of course, he could already be on A&A anonymously. Wouldn't that be a delicious irony? :D

Let's play hunt the Waters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

robindch wrote: »

He said that the internet was a fad(There's no new information on it apparently) about a year back. So I doubt we'll be seeing him around these parts. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

lazygal wrote: »
    Let's play hunt the Waters!

anti-skeptic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

It’s given John Waters a fright,
    To discover the plebians can write,
    Whatever they please,
    It’s disgusting that these,
    Little people exist in his sight.

Broadsheet's limerick for today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jesus. You could have warned us about the picture.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement