Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

It's in the print edition today. Is the online a day behind or behind the paywall?

Just slow to get the article up. Up now for those that like to punish themselves :P

EDIT: doesn't seem to the article you mentioned :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I guessed that he would bring up the spunout article but my god that was a trippy read. He went from mortgage ceilings to threesomes to gay marriage. I'm still finding the reaction to the spunout article to be completely absurd. But John Waters has surpassed all expectations this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I think he might have overdosed on communion wafers and veritas luxury holy water while writing that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

freyners wrote: »
    I think he might have overdosed on communion wafers and veritas luxury holy water while writing that. :confused:

Is that the new name for methylated spirits?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Is that the new name for methylated spirits?

its john waters we're dealing with, one can not put things simply;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He was bad enough, but the comments are worse -
    "Liberal democracy is now coming out in its true colours - a free-for-all - organised chaos orchestrated by the rich and powerful to exploit without limits?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Jesus wept. Well, there's some brain cells I won't be getting back.

So there's a small article on a youth website giving the pros and cons on threesomes in a non judgmental way and now all of a sudden society as we know it is going to collapse?

Dramatic much?

He really sounds angry and bitter. What's this? Young people having fun? Gay people getting rights? No, no, we can't be having any of that. If I don't get to have fun, no one else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,916 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

bluewolf wrote: »
    He was bad enough, but the comments are worse -
    "Liberal democracy is now coming out in its true colours - a free-for-all - organised chaos orchestrated by the rich and powerful to exploit without limits?"

The IT doesn't seem to know what a troll is, they have a guy who posts that multiple times on every story I've read but they leave him be. They used to have someone else go on about how every decision of the Supreme Court since some random date in the 80s/90s was somehow invalid - they seem to have gone, but most of the other conservative/RCC trolls re-reg and spout the same old same old again and again.

I see that comments are now disabled on JW's article, one of the usual RCC trolls must have been badly losing an argument again and started posting abortion pictures :rolleyes: which gets all the comments removed

For a newspaper which is inclined to go off on foamy rants about the perils of the internet, the standard of discussion they permit on their own website is orders of magnitude below boards.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

On RTE ONE now.
    *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This is why I don't watch that much Irish TV. I just hope that Republic of Telly takes the piss out of him next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ninja900 wrote: »
    The IT doesn't seem to know what a troll is, ..........

Unlikely, given they used to employ Colonel Myarse.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Anybody watching the Saturday Night Show replay on RTE 1? Our quasi-wistful waffler was being interviewed and spouted a load of stream of consciousness bs including how from his subjective viewpoint, he's the centre of the universe...lmfao.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

koth wrote: »
    Just slow to get the article up. Up now for those that like to punish themselves :P

He's actually beginning to sound genuinely deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

koth wrote: »

For once almost readable, and mostly tongue in cheek. It's interesting that he seems to assume that the values of 1970's rural Ireland are the ultimate yardstick for evaluating social issues. No wonder he's so angry all the time. He even seems to be anti-condom. Why can't he just shag off back to the 1950s, where he belongs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

swampgas wrote: »
    For once almost readable, and mostly tongue in cheek. It's interesting that he seems to assume that the values of 1970's rural Ireland are the ultimate yardstick for evaluating social issues. No wonder he's so angry all the time. He even seems to be anti-condom. Why can't he just shag off back to the 1950s, where he belongs?

Flux capacitor still hasn't been invented unfortunately. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Just read this piece of his (non-religious) and he's actually able to use "normal words" when not spouting utter horse manure!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Just read this piece of his (non-religious) and he's actually able to use "normal words" when not spouting utter horse manure!

"The President has momentously said the unsayable about our economy"
    "It is possible to argue with various characterisations in his speech – for example his choice of words such as “compassion” in elaborating the possibility of alternative understandings."

Really?
    Still sounds like swallowing a thesaurus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

bluewolf wrote: »
    "The President has momentously said the unsayable about our economy"
    "It is possible to argue with various characterisations in his speech – for example his choice of words such as “compassion” in elaborating the possibility of alternative understandings."

Really?
    Still sounds like swallowing a thesaurus :pac:

Water's prose always makes me want to get the dreaded (by my students) green pen out.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

He must be trying to sleep with his editor.

"Look at all the words I know. I'm so smart. You know you're impressed." :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

On Wednesday, at roughly the time President Michael D Higgins was delivering
    his momentous speech to the European Parliament, I was attending a meeting of concerned citizens seeking to forge alliances with a view to action when the
    inevitable happens.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/the-president-has-momentously-said-the-unsayable-about-our-economy-1.1364716?page=1

We will be led through the wasteland of the Apocalypse by the one known as Waters....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It was probably a meeting on fighting abortion legislation and nothing to do with the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

concerned citizens seeking to forge alliances with a view to action when the inevitable happens.

*Please let that action be "leaving the country"... Please let that action be "leaving the country"... Please let that action be "leaving the country"... Please let that action be "leaving the country"... *

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Sarky wrote: »
    It was probably a meeting on fighting abortion legislation and nothing to do with the economy.

Or fighting the children's referendum result or stopping the gays getting married because it would literally be like shooting marriage in the head.

lazygal wrote: »
    Or fighting the children's referendum result or stopping the gays getting married because it would literally be like shooting marriage in the head.

..it'd be like the wedding in Kill Bill so it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Only got round to watching that now. What the hell? He talked English when he was a lad. Did he suffer brain damage after being bludgeoned with a thesaurus later on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sarky wrote: »
    Did he suffer brain damage after being bludgeoned with a thesaurus later on?
    The Irish Times used to be considered a protestant newspaper -- still is by Popette, of course -- and given an historical context which suggested that catholics were dumber and less literate than protestant, I'm wondering if he's the first public sufferer of Catholic-Inspired, Sesquipedalianistic Literary Inferiority Complex(*).

(*) Pronounced kiss-lick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,916 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    an historical

I see what you did there.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Even a stopped clock is right twice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I was attending a meeting of concerned citizens seeking to forge alliances with a view to action when the inevitable happens.
    Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like a bunch of colonels plotting a coup? ;) Generallissimo Waters will lead our nation out of this twilight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I was attending a meeting of concerned citizens seeking to forge alliances with a view to action when the inevitable happens.
    Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like a bunch of colonels plotting a coup? ;) Generallissimo Waters will lead our nation out of this twilight!

Advertisement