Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

goose2005 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like a bunch of colonels plotting a coup? ;) Generallissimo Waters will lead our nation out of this twilight!

Christ!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The pen is mightier than the sword.
    In Waters' case I think the pen might be the ultimate weapon. Vogon poetry doesn't even come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/bill-a-further-step-along-road-to-industrial-abortion-1.1380875

Industrial abortion is on the way. You have been warned. But we're all going to die anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

God, what an idiot that man is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

lazygal wrote: »
    Industrial abortion is on the way.
    Oh god, it's him.
    Behind virtually every attempt to change the text of the Constitution is essentially a different way of seeing human existence.
    Yes, John, down in one. That's what a constitution is for. That's what it does. Republics-101 for Absolute Beginners.

A state Constitution defines basic rights and responsibilities of the citizens and the organs of state. The legislature enacts laws which uphold the rights and responsibilities laid out in the Constitution.

Don't they teach this kind of stuff in catholic-controlled schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

What is this organism he speaks of? Lets see how the piece reads if we substitute the word "Church" for "organism". It all starts to seem like a charter for fascism.....
    The Constitution of Ireland is in general aimed at enabling and encouraging solitary beings to function in human relationships – to come and remain together, to agree, co-operate, share, cohabit, reconcile and resolve their differences, to see themselves as part of a larger Church in which “rights” are held in a complex commonality. Behind virtually every attempt to change the text of the Constitution is essentially a different way of seeing human existence. Those pursuing changes are almost invariably seeking to dismantle the Constitution’s original logic aimed at building and protecting a one true Church on the foundations of human nature – and replacing this with individualised understandings which inevitably tend in the opposite direction. In the new dispensation, the “rights” of individuals are understood as discrete, contesting entities, and the aim is to create the maximum individual “freedom” while minimising the risk of immediate societal disintegration.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    Oh god, it's him.Yes, John, down in one. That's what a constitution is for. That's what it does. Republics-101 for Absolute Beginners.

A state Constitution defines basic rights and responsibilities of the citizens and the organs of state. The legislature enacts laws which uphold the rights and responsibilities laid out in the Constitution.

Don't they teach this kind of stuff in catholic-controlled schools?

Apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I read this on the IT website and am still unsure of what he is trying to say. Is there some of it missing? it seems very short and even more rambling than normal.

One part that I did notice, however, is a theme that Waters harps on about a lot.

"At the back of the abortion debate there reposes like a shadow a context rarely adverted to. "

There is always something hidden with Waters, a sinister force behind any drive for change. It is the typical conspiracy theorist's attitude, and comes from a very self-centred view of the world. The subtext is, of course, "The vast majority of the people are fooled, they are deluded, they are being taken in by the liberal conspiracy, but I, JW, know the truth. I am in touch with reality the way no-one else is."

His schtick always comes down to one basic point, he is John Waters, and he knows better than us.

fisgon wrote: »
    I read this on the IT website and am still unsure of what he is trying to say. Is there some of it missing? it seems very short and even more rambling than normal.

One part that I did notice, however, is a theme that Waters harps on about a lot.

"At the back of the abortion debate there reposes like a shadow a context rarely adverted to. "

There is always something hidden with Waters, a sinister force behind any drive for change. It is the typical conspiracy theorist's attitude, and comes from a very self-centred view of the world. The subtext is, of course, "The vast majority of the people are fooled, they are deluded, they are being taken in by the liberal conspiracy, but I, JW, know the truth. I am in touch with reality the way no-one else is."

His schtick always comes down to one basic point, he is John Waters, and he knows better than us.

Well, his paranoia does have some basis in reality...

We are all out to get him. :D

• Advertisement

Jesus, I'm not after him. I might catch him.

Sarky wrote: »
    Jesus, I'm not after him. I might catch him.

One word - Archery.

Ooh, I do like archery. Went for a session with some friends once, they incentivised improvement by taping chocolate bars to the target and telling us anything we shot we could eat.

I got the Mars Bar taped to the bull's eye :cool:

Sarky wrote: »
    Ooh, I do like archery. Went for a session with some friends once, they incentivised improvement by taping chocolate bars to the target and telling us anything we shot we could eat.

I got the Mars Bar taped to the bull's eye :cool:

Mate of mine teaches archery and has his own firing range - he even hand makes the bows. Am soooo planning a trip.

Mars bar suck to JW's ass for the win then...although...not sure about to his ass...*gag* - between the eyes it is so!

Hi John,
    If you are reading this. Just joshing.*

* Blatant lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    One word - Archery.

As Spock says:

"Do not throw the arrow which will return against you"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Does any of his articles actually have a point, I'm always at a loss as to what he's actually trying to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Waters is very much like Glenn Beck, ect.

There's always this thing that we should all be afraid of, the liberal agenda, the secular agenda, the equality agenda, the government is going to come and take your guns, ect.

And only they can protect us from the mythical threat!

Everything JW writes can be summarised as: "the liberal agenda is a threat to everything and everyone and only I with my superior intellect can save us from the impending liberal doom".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Does any of his articles actually have a point, I'm always at a loss as to what he's actually trying to say!

The point of his articles is always "Whomsoever doesn't instantly believe in the crazy **** I pull out of my arse is an ebil, atheist, commie-nazi out to destroy democracy by giving us meaningful choices in our voting decisions. 'Tler."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    suck to JW's ass for the win then...
    Ugh.. no thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Media ignores the news in pursuit of liberal agenda

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/media-ignores-the-news-in-pursuit-of-liberal-agenda-1.1387986
    Encroachingly, what media offers is ideological agitation in the promotion of radical social change, rather than, for example, conduits for information and commentary about matters of true social importance.

~

Abortion, euthanasia, homosexual marriage – all these have in common that they represent a repudiation of existing understandings and belief systems. The persistent media implication is that these proposals relate not merely urgent and desirable changes, but that they will, once implemented, bring us closer to the perfect society, always promised in the subtext of all these discussions. But, of course, when these objectives have been accomplished, there will emerge a fresh series of tests by which the people will be required to prove their “enlightenment” anew.

And we're back!

• Advertisement

Encroachingly, what media offers is ideological agitation in the promotion of radical social change, rather than, for example, conduits for information and commentary about matters of true social importance.

Translation: Waah waah nobody listens to me any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I understood each word of that individually, but for some reason when I try to make sense of the whole thing my brain shuts down. I don't read much Waters, is that reaction normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Imagine how frustrating and disheartening it must be, being a struggling journalist/author and seeing John Waters' drivel in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The newspaper, certainly, is no longer to be taken as the literal representation of its description, being only in the remotest sense about “news”.

He says... in a newspaper... which he regularly writes for...

genius1-300x250.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Abortion, euthanasia, homosexual marriage – all these [...] once implemented, bring us closer to the perfect society.

These things aren't aimed at some liberal utopian dream they each have their own legitimate social reasoning.. in order:

Women's Rights
    Personal Liberty
    and
    Not being such a prick to gay people.

I wonder what a harmonious universe it would be in the Waters dimension. When he gets to make medical decisions for the women he meets/wrongs. Forcing people to live until he's decided they can die and of course where the closes gay people get to marriage is as the best man in wacky sitcom...

Christ....

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Quite amusing that he's complaining about changes/tests in society that people must go along with/support to prove their "enlightment", while being a member of a religion that claims that this existence is a test to see if we gain access to paradise.

One of his examples is confusing, at least to me, as being part of a liberal agenda. The story of the two half-siblings that ended up having a child together because their shared father had been denied access to the son. So the couple grow up completely unaware they share a father. The Irish papers didn't report on the story (aside from the Irish Daily Mail) and that somehow supports his claim of a liberal agenda?

Surely a liberal agenda would highlight this story as events have denied a father the freedom to see/raise his kid? Or am I totally off on what I understand the word liberal to mean? :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

koth wrote: »
    Or am I totally off on what I understand the word liberal to mean? :confused:

I don't think you're the one who doesn't understand what it means ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The persistent media implication is that these proposals relate not merely urgent and desirable changes, but that they will, once implemented, bring us closer to the perfect society, always promised in the subtext of all these discussions. But, of course, when these objectives have been accomplished, there will emerge a fresh series of tests by which the people will be required to prove their “enlightenment” anew.

...So we shouldn't try to make society better... because there will always be room for improvements?

Did my brain die, or did I read that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What are these "tests", BTW?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

kylith wrote: »
    I understood each word of that individually, but for some reason when I try to make sense of the whole thing my brain shuts down. I don't read much Waters, is that reaction normal?
    It's normal for me anyway. You read a few words and you lose concentration. A few more words and you forget what you read at the start, so you've to start again. My brain keeps on throwing what software engineers refer to as "exceptions".

Reading his prose is like listening to a talentless piano player playing music written by a talentless composer. Yes, sounds are being made, but that's about all it has in common with real music.

Advertisement